Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What up UNC?  (Read 8711 times)

Debt Magnet

• View Profile
Re: What up UNC?
« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2007, 07:01:41 PM »
  Apparently residents generally get their decisions first.  She told me that out of the whole bunch of residents she knows who applied, all of them applied in Oct/Nov, and only one has heard (rejected).  The rest still haven't heard! And they're all in-state! 

I don't know that they consider in-state first. Given, they know they have to fulfill their 75/25 mandate, it would seem plausible, but I would venture to say that alot of the auto-admits (from looking at LSN) that heard first, are from the ever competitive out of state pool. I emailed them two days ago to ask if they were on track to have decisions out my May 1st, and they responded today to say that all decisions should be put in the mail by May 1st. Now they can claim that yours got lost in the mail, but that is another story.

I am most definitely in the pool that would be lucky to be in the waitlist. All I can hope is that they see some of the soft factors the way that some other schools have seen them, and maybe I have a snowball's chance. Probably not, so I would prefer the axe to drop.
That is all we are asking for, right. Just a damn asnwer.

Honestly, I don't know what is taking them and NCCU so long this year. It is out of control.

But, seriously, good luck. No matter, we are going to law school.

Plus, I just found this from the UNC-ASD thread... They are talking about a visit, not the ASD.

"In my tour, there were four kids; two girls from out-of-state had already been accepted.  Me and the other guy were in-state and were still waiting for our decisions."

legalwriter

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2007, 07:23:53 AM »
I'm a N.C. resident who has not gotten a response yet either. I applied in October.

The next round of seat deposits are due Monday (4/16) and they've been telling folks everyone will get some sort of answer by May 1. My guess is during that two week time-span -- once they know who has been accepted but isn't coming -- is when most of the remaining decisions will get made.

lawfanatic

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2007, 08:15:44 AM »
I am in state as well. I got my decision (phone call) with scholarship information on March 29th. Hang in there guys!!!

Bridge83

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2007, 09:30:08 AM »
lawfanatic, do you mind sharing your numbers (even rough #'s are helpful)
thanks.

seacotton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2007, 09:47:31 AM »
Earth to UNC: your slack admissions process is not giving people warm fuzzies about you.

Last King of Edinburgh

• Sr. Citizen
  • Born to rule
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2007, 04:06:46 PM »
I just got this reply from an e-mail I sent:

Mweni Ekpo is no longer at Carolina Law.  For admissions assistance, please contact the Office of Admissions by phone at 919/962-5109.

I guess that may be a reason for the hold up.

Oh snap!
Washington University School of Law 2010

Essential

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2007, 04:28:29 PM »
WOW... That's probably it.
:): UNC
A: UNC ($), UGA, Wake ($$), Temple ($$), WCL, UofK ($), Howard ($$), NCCU ($$), Campbell ($$)

Vercingatorix

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2007, 05:04:23 PM »
Dang... theres something rotton in the state of carolina.

I may try calling tomorrow.  I wonder if they'll offer me a big scholarship caused they waited too long on all the better applicants.   8)

keelee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2007, 05:50:53 PM »
I was waitlisted yesterday. I am not staying on the waitlist. Not too dissapointed considering I applied on the due date and did not tailor the personal statement to their questions. I was expecting a rejection just for the latter reason.
Going to as of now...USC or Fordham.

sharky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2007, 06:19:47 PM »
Rumor has it that she was fired, but I bet the hold-up (and other assorted issues) are the cause for her firing rather than the other way around.

I have had an awful - and I mean awful - experience with her. She's part of the reason that I withdrew last year.  So her firing makes me much more comfortable with my decision to go to UNC.

But what do you expect from someone that they touted with the following tag:
What better training could there be for an admissions director than judging a beauty pageant?
(Um... admissions experience?)

Yes.  They actually did this. In fact, read the whole article.  http://www.law.unc.edu/PDFs/AlumniNewsSUMMER05.pdf