Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 2 DUI's  (Read 2462 times)

midnight oil

• WcoastNegril
    • View Profile
2 DUI's
« on: March 01, 2004, 06:33:53 PM »
 :-\
I have two dui's on my record (I'll bet somebody else out there is saying...hey me too).  Okay, not pretty.  But, it's not like sticking up a 7-11 either.  Seriously, should I worry that admissions folks will frown on this?  Or, no biggie?

Stubbs

• View Profile
Re: 2 DUI's
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 06:43:50 PM »
I think it depends on how long ago it was, and whether you can show that you're more law-abiding now.  While you can have a past, you can't have a present.  Well, my Uncle is a lawyer, and that's what he told me before.  I didn't ask him any specifics because I didn't need to worry about it myself.  Whatever you do, don't try to lie about them.  They will find out and it can keep you from being a lawyer even after you finish law school, just because you lied.

midnight oil

• WcoastNegril
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 08:05:03 PM »
Thanks, Stubbs.  And, I see from the # of views, somebody else had a coupla beers and is perusing this question.  So, if there are other serious and well-advised opinions, please chime in! 

lawstudent2004

• Sr. Citizen
  • 160 LSAT and 3.48 GPA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 10:24:38 PM »
Don't know about dui's but Ive had several offenses: 2 mip's, theft, unlawfully carrying a weapon, and a pi.  They were all when I was 17 and 18, which was 5 years ago (I can't believe how big of an idiot I was).  I have received 2 acceptances and 0 rejects so far. 

Good luck

wolfman1977

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 12:12:24 AM »
Hey midnight,

I think I posted something along these lines somewhere on this site a little while ago, but what the hey, I'll do it again.  I got a DUI in 1998 and was suspended for a semester in 1997 due to alcohol-fueled mayhem.  So far I got 3 acceptances, 1 reject, and 1 waitlist.  My numbers were pretty strong for the schools that did not accept me, so I'm not sure if my record was significant or not.  While this is just a hunch, I suspect the adcoms will overlook youthful indiscretions w/ booze but a tiebreaker might go to an applicant with a clean slate.  I would think like the other poster said that it helps if a lot of time has elapsed- a recent DUI charge woud be cause for serious concern.  Best of luck with your apps.

lawschoolafterdark

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School After Dark
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 02:50:12 PM »
If it was a youthful mistake you will probably not get dinged just on that.  In Alabama you would probably have to go before the Character and Fitness committee of the bar and explain yourself.  If you were in your mid thirties and they happened in a short time frame you may have a problem.  Substance abuse issues are big with the bar these days.  High stress careers and alcoholism/drug addiction sometimes go hand in hand.

Good Luck

dunnolaw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 04:30:04 PM »
Original poster:  while you may not have a problem getting into law school, you should triple check with the Bar Association of the State in which you want to practice. 

My friend had something from her past pop back up at her.  She was eventually admitted but it was a bit of a hassle.  Considering she had just racked up just over 80k worth of debt.."shitting bricks" is a serious understatement to what was going through her head.

Full detailed and accurate disclosure is key and whatever you do, don't forget about the wild night you had that one time on  Spring Break 6 years ago.  It seems that the legal system has ties with authorities in Cancun too -- who knew! 

I'm sure you'll be fine, my friend's practicing law and actually defending youthful delinquents now but if you double check now, it will save you the added stress later when you should be studying for the bar exam.

Scotty S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 03:33:49 AM »
You need to check with the state bar in your state.  If I am not mistaken some states will not admit you to the bar if you have a DUI.  I beleiver this is the case in Idaho where I am from.  Just keep your nose clean and hopefully it will work out for you.

Scott
"just because we have brains bigger than monkeys doesn't mean we have to use them."

marcman

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.85/166
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 11:23:25 AM »
Don't take just my word on the following but:
The Federal government has a 7 year statue of limitations for misdemeanors/non-criminal offeneces, which MAY speak to some state bars. Just look at the George W. - he can 'honestly' say hes never had a DUI because it happened like 20,30 years ago.
just my 2/100 of a dollar

Anonymous_One

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2004, 02:50:41 PM »
Ummm, a statute of limitations has NOTHING to do with whether or not you can claim you have been convicted of an offense.  While with some offenses, the amount of time that has passed may be taken into consideration for future sentencing that is about the extent of that...

George Bush can honesly claim he has never been convicted or pled guilty (key words convicted or pled guilty) becuase he was sentenced under a diversionary program, typically known as continuance without a finding.  In this case, no plea is entered and if the defendant completes the terms of the continuance the case is dismissed.  So while George Bush can say he has never been convicted, its only because he was never found nor pled guilty, while admitting to sufficient facts that he would.