Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why is Fordham ranked so low?  (Read 1946 times)

sk

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not as scary as it looks!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Why is Fordham ranked so low?
« on: January 25, 2007, 02:30:06 AM »
It's got the 16th most selective admissions process in the nation (in terms of LSAT), its faculty is ranked among the best, its grads enjoy salaries comparable to the levels of T14s, and it is highly regarded among attorneys (great BIGLAW placement) and scholars (Fordham Law Review one of the 10 most cited law journals in the nation) alike.

So, why isn't Fordham a top 25 school??

(partly curious because I just got accepted today, partly because it just seems odd)
"buffoons don't clerk for federal judges!"

--LSN--

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Why is Fordham ranked so low?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 03:02:21 AM »
I'd guess because they have crappy reach outside of New York. Then again, I never paid close attention to the methodology of USNWR.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

sk

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not as scary as it looks!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 03:06:28 AM »
I guess that's part of my question though... Why don't they have that national reputation, and the ranking to go with it (like UCLA, Vandy, or even GW)?
"buffoons don't clerk for federal judges!"

--LSN--

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 08:04:08 AM »
I'd guess because they have crappy reach outside of New York. Then again, I never paid close attention to the methodology of USNWR.

titcr.  honestly, i think Fordham is ranked as high as it is simply bc its in NY and ppl who can't get into CLS and NYU and really want to be in NY, will go there bc Biglaw prospects are still good.
Columbia 3L

latenitesession

• Sr. Citizen
  • My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 08:54:50 AM »

titcr.  honestly, i think Fordham is ranked as high as it is simply bc its in NY and ppl who can't get into CLS and NYU and really want to be in NY, will go there bc Biglaw prospects are still good.

Following this logic, why aren't NY Law or Cardozo ranked higher than Fordham?
Fordham (PT)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 08:58:44 AM »

NY biglaw prospects are greatest at Fordham like I mentioned.
Columbia 3L

SugarJ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 02:41:08 PM »

NY biglaw prospects are greatest at Fordham like I mentioned.

I've been trying to figure this out for a while, too. I think it's a great choice for NYC-ers who can't get into NYU or CLS... but having said that, the BIGLAW placement is for kids in the top 25%. I've even heard top third, but job prospects decline as your rank does. And I've heard that if you're out of the top 25-305%... you get nada.

Plus a LOT of BIGLAW firms in NYC recruit at Fordham (notsomuch at Cardozo, rarely at NY Law), but you have to be top of the class to get a dream job.
Cornell Class of 2011 (deferring for a year!)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=30secondstolaw

Dr. Miles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 02:43:25 PM »
fordham does have a crappy faculty.

they are ranked low because they have virtually no rep outside of nyc. (a large % of the usnews rankings comes from a rep score...surveys are sent to faculty, deans, and judges throughout the country...a judge from arizona, etc., has probably never heard of fordham.) it's a school for ny'ers who want to stay in ny. that said, they do very well in nyc biglaw placement and there's a shitload of partners at large nyc firms who are fordham alums. the studentry is probably the most competitive outside the t14, and it has a good location. it's a good regional school that probably should be t20, but really - who cares? usnews rankings are only marginally useful.

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 03:46:59 PM »
Actually, Fordham is top 20 for Biglaw placement according to latest ranking that's been tossed around on this board. I will find it and post it.

The only reason I could conceive it that, yes, it doesn't have much reach out of the tri-state, but that is largely due to self-selection. Why would anyone want to leave the best city in the US anyway?

And I'm going to take a lot of heat for saying this, but personally I think there is a general bias against NYC schools in the rankings, mostly because they don't take self-selection into account with the NYC schools. Of course many of the other T30-15 have more geographic reach- who wants to stay in Iowa City?! Not me, for one.

And many people are going to disagree with me again- but I'd say that outside the T14, if you want to work in NYC, Fordham is your best choice. The statistics for Biglaw are relatively similar to the other T30-15- Top 1/3 for Biglaw and still good chances in the top half.

Dr. Miles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 03:50:17 PM »

And many people are going to disagree with me again- but I'd say that outside the T14, if you want to work in NYC, Fordham is your best choice. The statistics for Biglaw are relatively similar to the other T30-15- Top 1/3 for Biglaw and still good chances in the top half.

This is certainly correct.