Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CLS admit thread  (Read 42079 times)

nerdphanie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: CLS admit thread
« Reply #460 on: February 05, 2007, 05:10:26 PM »
No personalized email for me  :-[. Feeling unloved.

hereshopin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 05, 2007, 08:55:55 PM »
any thoughts on which is better for public interest law?  Does CLS's prestige trump NYU's great PI rep?

A significantly higher percentage of people from NYU go into PI than at Columbia. Don't quote me on this, but I think it's something like 11% vs 5%.
DeVry Tech '10

hereshopin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 05, 2007, 10:05:05 PM »
any thoughts on which is better for public interest law?  Does CLS's prestige trump NYU's great PI rep?

A significantly higher percentage of people from NYU go into PI than at Columbia. Don't quote me on this, but I think it's something like 11% vs 5%.

Is that due to relative institutional strengths or personal preference?

I agree that to some degree its due to self-selection, but NYU also has a good reputation in this area. I've had several professors who've mentioned NYU when talking about places to go for PI related law things. Also, they hand out 20 or 30 RTK and other scholarships each year which are full tuition for people planning to go into PI, so they obviously attract lots of PI minded people with that. Finally, the NYU LRAP is apparently quite quite good.
DeVry Tech '10

hereshopin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 05, 2007, 10:30:53 PM »

Is that due to relative institutional strengths or personal preference?

I agree that to some degree its due to self-selection, but NYU also has a good reputation in this area. I've had several professors who've mentioned NYU when talking about places to go for PI related law things. Also, they hand out 20 or 30 RTK and other scholarships each year which are full tuition for people planning to go into PI, so they obviously attract lots of PI minded people with that. Finally, the NYU LRAP is apparently quite quite good.

I think you actually hit the nail on the head with the RTK and other scholarships. From what I've heard the LRAP's are comprable.

Other than the Hamilton and the Sharp, what kind of merit aid does CLS hand out? I've basically stuck my head in the sand these past few weeks and not really looked at any of the materials I've been getting. I need to start paying attention. :P
DeVry Tech '10

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 05, 2007, 11:03:23 PM »
Not sure if anyone else has reported this yet, but I got a call from the Dean of Admissions today.  Unfortunately I wasn't in my room, so she left a message.  She sounded really nice. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: February 05, 2007, 11:20:03 PM »
Not sure if anyone else has reported this yet, but I got a call from the Dean of Admissions today.  Unfortunately I wasn't in my room, so she left a message.  She sounded really nice. 

What was she calling for?

Since it's City Slicker, I'm guessing marriage proposal?
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: February 05, 2007, 11:31:05 PM »
If only.

She just said she was calling to see if I had any questions about CLS and inviting me to visit CLS and contact her if I needed anything.  Very nice, and I have to say I love the way she pronounced her name, even though I know I would only butcher it. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 05, 2007, 11:34:56 PM »
If only.

She just said she was calling to see if I had any questions about CLS and inviting me to visit CLS and contact her if I needed anything.  Very nice, and I have to say I love the way she pronounced her name, even though I know I would only butcher it. 

How do you pronounce it?
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 05, 2007, 11:44:00 PM »
If only.

How do you pronounce it?

Her name is E. Nkonye Iwerebon.  No clue how to pronounce it, even as I have her message on my voicemail.  She said it very fast. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 05, 2007, 11:55:42 PM »
If only.

How do you pronounce it?

Her name is E. Nkonye Iwerebon.  No clue how to pronounce it, even as I have her message on my voicemail.  She said it very fast. 

I know her name, I wanted to know how to pronounce it.  :P  You're of no use to me.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn