Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: GRAD PLUS Questions and Answers 2007  (Read 18897 times)

Le Docteur De Peste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ashes, ashes, we all fall down.
    • View Profile
Re: GRAD PLUS Questions and Answers 2007
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2007, 06:58:42 PM »

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - dontreallyknowmuch
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2007, 08:42:05 PM »
Some folks are born silver spoon in hand,
Lord, don't they help themselves, oh.
But when the taxman comes to the door,
Lord, the house looks like a rummage sale, yes,

It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no millionaire's son, no.
It ain't me, it ain't me; I ain't no fortunate one, no.
quote Stanley J. Watson III
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2007, 10:27:58 PM »
I wish the school would just take care of all this stuff. I hate thinking about this crap.

Better yet I just wish I had a silver spoon and then mommy and daddy could handle all this.

HLS thinks this is my situation, even though I'm an inner-city minority kid from the Bronx!

Bull...
Yale.Law.School.2010

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2007, 10:55:49 PM »
tag

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2007, 11:31:28 AM »
I started to ask a question about the diff between GradPlus and private but then I googled it and found this chart with the differences.

The Deferment info seems at odds with the repayment info on the Plus loan though...Thoughts? Also, what about "points" neither one discusses points...

http://www.wm.edu/financialaid/gradplusloan.pdf
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2007, 11:59:48 AM »
I started to ask a question about the diff between GradPlus and private but then I googled it and found this chart with the differences.

The Deferment info seems at odds with the repayment info on the Plus loan though...Thoughts? Also, what about "points" neither one discusses points...

Right from the government itself:
"The U.S. Department of Education charges a loan fee of 4% of the principal amount or each Direct PLUS Loan."
http://www.ifap.ed.gov/eannouncements/attachments/0623HERAOPGradPLUSAttachDGradPLUSQA.doc

loan fee/origination fee = "points"
you are doomed in the fated sense, but that's completely irrelevant because that's only from the viewpoint of someone who is not constrained by time. since you are temporal, for all intents and purposes you have the power to change your future

Le Docteur De Peste

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2007, 12:20:19 PM »

Right from the government itself:
"The U.S. Department of Education charges a loan fee of 4% of the principal amount or each Direct PLUS Loan."
http://www.ifap.ed.gov/eannouncements/attachments/0623HERAOPGradPLUSAttachDGradPLUSQA.doc

loan fee/origination fee = "points"

I know THE (Total Higher Education/www.northstar.org), the lender for my GradPLUS loan, acknowledges the fee but then immediately reimburses it upon payment. And The Access Group (www.accessgroup.org), another non-profit lender, pays the fees for you immediately.

It's their way of competing with private lenders who don't have to charge such origination fees (because it's a private loan and not regulated like a GradPLUS loan).

Phew.

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2007, 12:31:45 PM »
All true, but some schools (Michigan being one of them) participate in Direct Loans and don't go through an external lender for GradPLUS loans. In Michigan's case, they do not allow you to use a private lender for your GradPlus loan, you are stuck with the Direct Loan way of doing it, which isn't all that bad (I think the interest rate is like a point lower, actually), but it does rule out all those nice bonus things like getting to waive fees.

Le Docteur De Peste

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2007, 12:35:47 PM »
All true, but some schools (Michigan being one of them) participate in Direct Loans and don't go through an external lender for GradPLUS loans. In Michigan's case, they do not allow you to use a private lender for your GradPlus loan, you are stuck with the Direct Loan way of doing it, which isn't all that bad (I think the interest rate is like a point lower, actually), but it does rule out all those nice bonus things like getting to waive fees.

S-hitty in the city.

The Poster

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2007, 12:38:41 PM »

S-hitty in the city.

New York S-hitty.