Law School Discussion

Oh my god, how do I turn this down?

spud1987

Re: Oh my god, how do I turn this down?
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2007, 03:02:30 PM »
Another thing to consider is that GW's ranking is not about to drop and may even go up.  According to their LSAC data page they previously offered 0 full tuition scholarships and this year they are throwing money at every high scorer.  I don't see how their medians could not go up. 

This is an interesting point.  I've also heard that firms in DC are beginning to look at GW and GULC as equals.

FunkyzeitmitBruno

• please fire this man
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2007, 03:12:03 PM »
Just a stupid question- so since GW's median salary is 125K does it mean that rougly half of the graduates will earn 125 k?

Look at the NLJ.com article re: % of graduates at NLJ250 firms and that'll give you a good idea of BIGLAW prospects.  I think GW is at about 40%. 

As a side note, the market for BIGLAW in NY is in the process of being bumped to 160K.

I dont want to be TOO much of a money grubbing whore, but where is this 160K number coming from (its been mentioned in this thread a few times)? Didn't NYC just very recently go up to 145K and in fact some firms have yet to even raise from 125 to 145? Haven't seen too much news on this on xoxo.

Sorry for the slight hijack.

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2007, 03:14:25 PM »
I'm in a similar situation- both GW and BU gave me full rides (for GW, you must decide by 2/1 to get the free housing).  I would ultimately like to practice in NY but am very interested in clerking after law school.  What are your thoughts on taking one of these schools (is one better than the other for my purposes) over T14s like Michigan/Duke/UVA?

FunkyzeitmitBruno

• please fire this man
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2007, 03:18:24 PM »
http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,80918.0.html

I'm guessing this is for firms with high billable hours (2200). So for firms where you don't have to actually live in the office, it might still be lower.

Yeah I looked more closely at xoxo and the 2007 firm salary list. At this rate (seeing as how we were at 125 just 2-3 years ago), we'll be close to 200k by my law class of 2010.

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2007, 03:19:13 PM »
Just a stupid question- so since GW's median salary is 125K does it mean that rougly half of the graduates will earn 125 k?

Look at the NLJ.com article re: % of graduates at NLJ250 firms and that'll give you a good idea of BIGLAW prospects.  I think GW is at about 40%. 

As a side note, the market for BIGLAW in NY is in the process of being bumped to 160K.

I dont want to be TOO much of a money grubbing whore, but where is this 160K number coming from (its been mentioned in this thread a few times)? Didn't NYC just very recently go up to 145K and in fact some firms have yet to even raise from 125 to 145? Haven't seen too much news on this on xoxo.

Sorry for the slight hijack.

Its all over xo: http://www.autoadmit.com/thread.php?thread_id=568075&mc=311&forum_id=2

STB raised to 160 and one by one other firms are following suit.

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2007, 03:49:12 PM »
I'm in a similar situation- both GW and BU gave me full rides (for GW, you must decide by 2/1 to get the free housing).  I would ultimately like to practice in NY but am very interested in clerking after law school.  What are your thoughts on taking one of these schools (is one better than the other for my purposes) over T14s like Michigan/Duke/UVA?

daydreamer, it was a typo that said 2/1, it's actually 2/22 (they sent me an e-mail on this). What's more, you don't have to decide. You just have to let them know to reserve a spot for you, with no obligation. You can back out of that anytime. So basically, you don't have to decide anything till their April deadline. Which just made me love GW more. There was a whole paragraph about how they know "you'll be accepted to many other great schools with scholarships as well" and they want to give you the time to decide, but need to know to reserve a spot for you in the Aston.

And by the way, if I ever get into any T14's, it's going to be a very hard decision to make. No debt, vs. insane amount of debt.
Yea i know. We have quite a dillema on our hands. Not that i'm complaining...

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2007, 03:55:55 PM »
Maybe GW doesn't care about their medians and this is just some sadistic experiment to mess with everyone's minds. 

Para Legal

• Go Pipers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2007, 07:30:36 PM »
So i got my acceptance letter from GW and they are giving me full scholarship for all three years and they are offering me an apartment for the first year for free! Oh man this is going to be very tough to turn down considering i dont want to have any loans or be in debt... wow.

Then don't.

This deal gives you virtually no loans for 1L...then you have the chance to work over the summer at whatever you want to do.

2L, see if your grades are high enough to finagle a free apartment again (or reduced), or bite the bullet and take loans to pay your living expenses.

2L summer you clerk at a firm that pays you enough over the summer to pay for 3L living expenses without loans, if you live frugally... and you end up with a job offer that allows you to pay off your 2L loans within a year of leaving school.

Debt free and making money hand over fist two years out of school. That's a recipe for a healthy retirement and the ability to truly do whatever you want to do. It was brought up in another thread that DC law firms can be more "national" in presence due to the unique opportunities available in DC.

The cost of living is exorbitant in DC, but you've got the first year knocked out.

I say take it and count your blessings. GW is a T20 school and it looks like they are gunning for T14.

Good luck!!

Cheers,

Para  ;)