Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How helpful has your family been this cycle?

They practically wrote my PS (most)
 6 (6.5%)
Lots of hand-holding...
 8 (8.7%)
Sounding board for my concerns
 41 (44.6%)
My parents checked the mail, does that count?
 31 (33.7%)
They openly tried to sabotage me. (least)
 6 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Voting closed: February 23, 2007, 10:10:03 AM

Author Topic: How helpful has your family been?  (Read 2200 times)

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
How helpful has your family been?
« on: January 24, 2007, 10:10:03 AM »
So, I've been thinking about the role family plays in Law School admissions. I've attempted to use my family as a non-paranoid alternative to getting all my advice from Law School boards.

To what extent has your family been involved in your cycle? Did they help much, or were they entirely indifferent?
VIP.

Yankees Fan

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Ask+me
    • View Profile
Re: How helpful has your family been?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 10:16:13 AM »
My parents don't fit any of those specifically.  I'd say somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd option.  They've helped with parts of the application process, been extremely supportive and will help me make the decision of which school to attend (assuming I have a "choice") once some acceptances start arriving (which is hopefully soon!).
USD 2010

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 10:27:22 AM »
My family has been pretty helpful throughout the process.  I've gotten them all (parents, siblings, bf) to review all of my statements.  The other negative is that my mom refuses to provide financial aid info because she claims that I won't be eligible for any.  She might be right, but I'd rather know for sure. 

One of my aunts claimed that I should go to Brooklyn Law, even after I got into Harvard, because that's where her niece went.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

TrashCat

• Sr. Citizen
  • My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 10:33:29 AM »
So I try to explain the application/scholarship process to my very supportive (but LS clueless) mother. I was joking about how Cooley sent out a mailing that had a spreadsheet with LSAT and GPA scores. If you are within a certain level you get a certain percentage scholarship.

I was joking that on both counts I could go for free and she couldn't understand why I wouldn't. Or why I would choose another college for less/no money.

Regardless she has been motherly helpful, but she was not a proofreader...

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 10:45:09 AM »
One of my aunts claimed that I should go to Brooklyn Law, even after I got into Harvard, because that's where her niece went.

LOL. Yeah, it seems like non-lawyer family members (basically all of my family), tend to judge schools based on different criteria.
VIP.

paul1454

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 11:03:24 AM »
Yea, when I got a full ride to a t2 school, my mom acted like I was the most financially ignorant person in the world when I told her I was still holding out for GW.  She said, "for gods sake paul, you are an accountant! You of all people should understand how little sense that makes." 

My reply..........."well, I heard there are a lot of good looking girls at GW", and moved on.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 11:10:37 AM »
Yea, when I got a full ride to a t2 school, my mom acted like I was the most financially ignorant person in the world when I told her I was still holding out for GW.  She said, "for gods sake paul, you are an accountant! You of all people should understand how little sense that makes." 

My reply..........."well, I heard there are a lot of good looking girls at GW", and moved on.
haha my mother has this idea that if I go to a school in cali I am going to end up with some valley girl.  She has this horrible impression of the girl she is picturing that she'll do, no matter where we are (ie. christmas parties...)

but yeah my parents fronted most of the app. fee bill.  thats about all they've been involved.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Dukestarbored

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 11:14:08 AM »
My parents "insisted" that I go to a "top-five school," as if getting in was an easy thing to do. Maybe their hopes are just really high, but when they started saying that Princeton has a "top-five" law school, I knew I could safely take their input with a grain of salt. And with regard to my PS, their input could best be summed up as No, No, No, No, No, No.

r85

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 11:15:38 AM »
I love my mother, but she doesn't really know much about applying to law school.  She's been very supportive throughout the whole process, but whenever I call her to tell her about an acceptance, I always get the same response:  "Is that a good school?"

haha my mother has this idea that if I go to a school in cali I am going to end up with some valley girl.  She has this horrible impression of the girl she is picturing that she'll do, no matter where we are (ie. christmas parties...)

Yeah, my mother is also terrified of the idea of going to law school in CA.

kirkcameronsgf

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ever since I can remember, I been poppin' my colla
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 11:23:54 AM »

This is basically the reponse my mom gave me when I got a full ride to Texas Tech and I told her "meh."