Law School Discussion

« on: January 23, 2007, 06:43:25 PM »

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: Asking profs you don't know and/or on short notice!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 12:57:04 AM »
this might not be in the order that you asked, but ...

1- if the app deadline is Feb 1st this means the actual application must be in .. there is a little time to get the rest of the stuff in but I really do not think there is enough time to ask profs. that you dont know to write a letter, then get it to LSAC and have it processed and then have your file sent out.

2- I guess you can ask by email but clearly state that you will visit at the next possible office hour.

3- asking for a letter in a week really isn't fair.  It is not fair to the prof, who is just starting their semester and probably has alot of stress right now; and it is not fair to your friend because she will have a less than stellar LOR.

Understand that this is really late in the cycle.  I don't know the real percentage but a majority of apps are in by now.  To just be starting the process puts you at a huge disadvantage.  My advice to your friend would be to take a deep breath, stop worrying about what she is going to do during her year off, and wait until next fall to apply.  In the meantime (I am assuming that she is a senior) spend this semester really working hard to establish a relationship with some profs.  Letters are not the most important part of your file but an insincere and empty letter screams "danger" to an adcomm.

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: Asking profs you don't know and/or on short notice!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 01:15:11 AM »
ahh canada.  yeah in the future you should probably put this in the original post.  if you don't have to go through LSAC then I guess Feb 1 is more doable.  But then again I don't know if not having LSAC changes their policy on accepting materials after the app deadline.  I would call the schools and ask.  Tomorrow.

The main thing that screams out to me is asking a prof on such short notice.  Would explaining the situation and then giving them an out (i.e. 'I know this is rushed, so if you can't do it...' type thing) make sense, or is that just asking for a 'no'?

I guess this could work, but when you say "explaining the situation" do you mean saying "hi I just decided in really short notice" or are there other reasons that she hasn't gotten to her apps until now?  obviously the second would be better but the first is still doable I guess.  I don't really know how things work at a school that big.  I have only had a class that was larger than 100 people twice.  But hey, it can't hurt to ask, right? I would also say that when asking the prof if it is possible to bring some of the work done for the class and a resume and personal statement to show them right away, that would be good.
Ok, tell your friend good luck from the states.