Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Dispute Resolution?  (Read 3790 times)

CaliLaw

• Click Profile to change this text.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - LaSaan
    • View Profile
    • Email
Dispute Resolution?
« on: July 24, 2003, 12:56:17 PM »
I am curious to know if 'dispute resolution' is a part of the field of law that is still used frequently.

The reason is because I am thinking about applying to Pepperdine and noticed they have an excellent dispute resolution program.  However, how much does dispute resolution get used in the field now, and in the market altogether?

Also, can someone please define it for me specifically (is it like mediation, or a step before litigation?) Also, any thoughts on Pepperdine????? Thanks!

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Re: Dispute Resolution?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2003, 11:35:25 AM »
CaliLaw,
As for your other question the definition or what dispute resolution actually refers to:

In simple terms disputer resolution is an all encompassing term to discribe the overall methods at wich the resolutions are made in other words to quote a legal dictionary:

"A catchall term that describes a number of methods used to resolve disputes out of court, including negotiation, conciliation, mediation and the many types of arbitration. The common denominator of all ADR [alternative dispute resolution] methods is that they are faster, less formalistic, cheaper and often less adversarial than a court trial. In recent years the term Alternative Dispute Resolution [and/or  DR itself] has begun to lose favor in some circles and ADR has come to mean Appropriate Dispute Resolution. The point of this semantic change is to emphasize that ADR methods stand on their own as effective ways to resolve disputes and should not be seen simply as alternatives to a court action" (nolo.com).  

Hope this helps.

Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

CaliLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2003, 03:03:45 PM »
Thanks for the info!!! Any thoughts on Pepperdine? Since it has such a strong dispute resolution program?

Is it a strong school altogether with everything at hand, such as being one of many schools in LA, 3rd tier, etc etc.  Is is still a reputable and prestigious school?

THANKS

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2003, 09:15:30 AM »
I believe Pererdine, is in the proper location to garner many DR attorneys.  They have a very prestigious program for it, despite being theird tier overall in the LA county it would probably rank around the top 3 law schools in dispute resolution.  I live in Tucson, AZ and I was thinking about going to Peperdine even though I am shooting for IVY league.  To me, Peperdine's faculties already fall into this rare category.  I say Peperdine all the way, CaliLaw! Good  Luck!!

Law School Numbers.com

OSU_Professor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 01:42:07 PM »
Dispute resolution is an increasingly important part of the practrice of law, although it is not yet (ever?) going to be dominant in the practice.  But, it is a great field.

Ohio State University has one of the nation's best dispute resolution programs (and publishes the Journal on Dispute Resolution).  The Dean, Nancy Rogers, is one of the foremost persons in the field, and Ohio State has a rich curriculum in the field, with four other active dispute resolution experts on the faculty.

CaliLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2003, 02:32:58 PM »
Thanks for that bit of info OSU Professor. Do you have any thoughts on Pepperdine? Even though the school is not in a top tier, does it still have the prestige and power in terms of job placement, etc?

Thanks.

Cyrus

OSU_Professor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2003, 06:12:40 AM »
I cannot answer your question directly, only can say that the higher the tier, the most useful a degree is if you end up moving away from the area.  That is, a Pepperdine degree will count for more in LA than it will in SF, and all else equal, it will count more in California than in will outside the state.  

Other actors to consider: Many, I suspect most, students who come to law school intending to practice in one particular area of the law (disupute resolution, criminal law, corporate law, etc.) end up changing their mind by the end of their law school career (or find that economic conditions or other factors suggest a change in direction).  Therefore, choosing a law school exclusively on the basis of a particular school's strength in a particular field may end up being a bad basis for choice.  On the other hand, some people do not change their mind, so all else equal, between two law schools of roughly equal stature and other roughtly equal factors (cost, etc.), it makes sense to pick the one that seems stronger in the areas of your subject matter interest.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2003, 09:48:00 AM »
Thanks for the infor OSU Professor, I will take those thoughts into consideration
;)

Law School Numbers.com

beninoregon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2003, 10:38:52 AM »
Far be it for a lowly 1L to disagree with an OSU professor... but here I go! =\

Dispute Resolution is a VITAL part of law.  It refers to the skills needed by a lawyer anytime he is not in court or preparing to go to court.  Most pre-laws don't know this, but less than 10% of civil cases ever go to trial.  Most are settled through... you guessed it... Dispute Resolution (or Alternative Dispute Res, as the old fogies call it.  But how can it be an "alternative" if it is used 90% of the time? ;))   I'm not sure why OSU professor is saying that it is not used as much... maybe I am misunderstanding him.

Anyway, I do agree with OSU professor that picking a school based on a specific concentration can be scary.  None of the 3Ls I know have the same plans now that they had when they were 1Ls.  NONE.  
--Ben--
 --1L--

CaliLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2003, 10:51:10 AM »
Ben,

Thanks for the info. But with all of that at hand, would you say Pepperdine is a good school altogether, besides its Dispute Resolution program? Or is  it overlooked due to the fact that LA has so many strong schools?