Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Black Caucus: Whites Not Allowed  (Read 7590 times)

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Black Caucus: Whites Not Allowed
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2007, 09:02:22 PM »
the road to hell is paved with good intentions...and i will continue to critique those put themselves out there for critiquin'

So the answer is to do nothing in a public forum? The way to avoid your critique is to mind your own business and just thing of yourself?

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2007, 09:15:33 PM »
here is the main problem i have with the jesse jacksons and al sharpton's of the world these men grew up when most black people were poor...when white people could literally kill you for lookin' at them the wrong way or failing to step off of the sidewalk when they approached or just for being black and in the wrong place at the wrong time etc...yet they made it...they made it through hard work, discipline, intelligence and of course by taking advantage of the many opportunities that became available thanks  to the civil rights movement...yet whenever they open their mouths all i hear is how racism is holding blacks back...the system won't let us achieve...black children can't learn unless teachers teach them in ghetto slang....black people can not prosper unless everything is handed to them just so...at the right temperature and perfectly packaged....and how we might as well still be in slavery (which i think is so disrespectful to the memory of slaves) its like someone with a head cold telling someone who is dying of cancer "we're the same because we're both sick"...they excuse n wordish behavior and shoot down anyone who tries to point out the progress thats been made...this is the message they send out to the least and most vulnerable among us...this is what they send out to a people who survived slavery and have adapted to and overcome everything they've thrown at us...that's ok with ya'll that's????
...man, you was who you was before you got here

iman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2007, 09:21:30 PM »
this definition tracks mine almost word for word so i don't really think i need to be cleared up. in case you didn't realize the last time, the problem i have with your definition is that you say the phrase somehow relates to people thinking that white folks have something to do with why black people are in the situation they are in. or that a person who doesn't believe that personal responsibility will solve most (if not all) of the problems facing black people qualifies as a poverty pimp. i.e. the quote below. however, that doesn't relate to the phrase imo. i just wanted to clarify for vinny who has some problems understanding things of this nature. and make it clear that there is a different (perhaps more widely used) definition.

"these same, usually poor but not exclusively, blacks look to the likes of jesse and big perm al as "black leaders" because they tell them it's not their fault it's whitey's fault thereby making it easy for them to do nothing to better themselves....why bother whitey is just going to keep me down....therefore some people feel that these so called "black leaders" pander to poor blacks and jump on issues that more educated (whether formal or otherwise) blacks easily recognize as b.s....thus poverty pimps"

Poverty pimp is a derogatory label used to convey the accusation that an individual or group is benefiting unduly by acting as an intermediary on behalf of the poor. Those who use this appellation suggest that "poverty pimps" profit from their attempts to alleviate the misfortune of others, and therefore do not really wish the poverty to be eliminated permanently as it is not in their own interest for this to happen, and that if profit was eliminated as a factor, great steps in the alleviation of poverty would begin to truly occur.

The most frequent targets of this accusation are groups receiving government funding.

Another meaning for the term, sometimes used, is an individual or group that solicits private charity for the poor.

it is older than jesse apparently but he and his perm wearing homies are still the primary thought that comes to my mind when i hear the phrase...and always giving credit where credit is due at least al stopped wearing the gold chains...especially on the outside of his velvet sweat suit...'cause that's what i want in a leader

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2007, 09:28:42 PM »
here is the main problem i have with the jesse jacksons and al sharpton's of the world these men grew up when most black people were poor...when white people could literally kill you for lookin' at them the wrong way or failing to step off of the sidewalk when they approached or just for being black and in the wrong place at the wrong time etc...yet they made it...they made it through hard work, discipline, intelligence and of course by taking advantage of the many opportunities that became available thanks  to the civil rights movement...yet whenever they open their mouths all i hear is how racism is holding blacks back...the system won't let us achieve...black children can't learn unless teachers teach them in ghetto slang....black people can not prosper unless everything is handed to them just so...at the right temperature and perfectly packaged....and how we might as well still be in slavery (which i think is so disrespectful to the memory of slaves) its like someone with a head cold telling someone who is dying of cancer "we're the same because we're both sick"...they excuse n wordish behavior and shoot down anyone who tries to point out the progress thats been made...this is the message they send out to the least and most vulnerable among us...this is what they send out to a people who survived slavery and have adapted to and overcome everything they've thrown at us...that's ok with ya'll that's????

I hear you, jarhead, but most black people are still poor. 
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2007, 09:45:41 PM »

I hear you, jarhead, but most black people are still poor. 

i knew i should not have put most...how about 99%

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2007, 09:47:12 PM »
this definition tracks mine almost word for word so i don't really think i need to be cleared up. in case you didn't realize the last time, the problem i have with your definition is that you say the phrase somehow relates to people thinking that white folks have something to do with why black people are in the situation they are in. or that a person who doesn't believe that personal responsibility will solve most (if not all) of the problems facing black people qualifies as a poverty pimp. i.e. the quote below. however, that doesn't relate to the phrase imo. i just wanted to clarify for vinny who has some problems understanding things of this nature. and make it clear that there is a different (perhaps more widely used) definition.

"these same, usually poor but not exclusively, blacks look to the likes of jesse and big perm al as "black leaders" because they tell them it's not their fault it's whitey's fault thereby making it easy for them to do nothing to better themselves....why bother whitey is just going to keep me down....therefore some people feel that these so called "black leaders" pander to poor blacks and jump on issues that more educated (whether formal or otherwise) blacks easily recognize as b.s....thus poverty pimps"

Poverty pimp is a derogatory label used to convey the accusation that an individual or group is benefiting unduly by acting as an intermediary on behalf of the poor. Those who use this appellation suggest that "poverty pimps" profit from their attempts to alleviate the misfortune of others, and therefore do not really wish the poverty to be eliminated permanently as it is not in their own interest for this to happen, and that if profit was eliminated as a factor, great steps in the alleviation of poverty would begin to truly occur.

The most frequent targets of this accusation are groups receiving government funding.

Another meaning for the term, sometimes used, is an individual or group that solicits private charity for the poor.

it is older than jesse apparently but he and his perm wearing homies are still the primary thought that comes to my mind when i hear the phrase...and always giving credit where credit is due at least al stopped wearing the gold chains...especially on the outside of his velvet sweat suit...'cause that's what i want in a leader

i think you see what you want to see and im done here

iman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2007, 09:59:33 PM »
you know what i have a problem with? And I know its going to sound bitchy, but here goes. i feel like most black people don't spend alot of time researching issues about black people. they just feel like b/c they're black, they know about whats going on. When my friends and I get into these debates, they almost always parrot the same types of things you're talking about. when i say, well, you know that the ebonics issue in Oakland isn't about teaching slang to students, it was about educating teachers about the existence of the phenomenon so they could adequately "translate" what was being said into the correct conjugation. and actually Jesse Jackson was against it until he went to visit the school district and changed his mind. I think Black people are conservative by nature. The whole frat/sorority movement was built on these very same notions of personal responsibility like 100 years ago. People would say, if we pursued "finer womanhood" then white men wouldn't rape us so much. Or maybe if our kids could be in phi beta kappa, then they wouldn't get lynched. but at the end of the day, those same things still happened b/c personal responsibility wasn't the only thing that made a difference at the end of the day--you were still black. I don't think anyone is saying that you should stop pushing black people to rise to the top. but what if you forget the other part of the equation? racism and classism are still big factors in terms of who receives the full benefits of their actions. And I think thats what Al and Jesse see as their role.

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2007, 12:41:14 AM »
you know what i have a problem with? And I know its going to sound bitchy, but here goes. i feel like most black people don't spend alot of time researching issues about black people. they just feel like b/c they're black, they know about whats going on. When my friends and I get into these debates, they almost always parrot the same types of things you're talking about. when i say, well, you know that the ebonics issue in Oakland isn't about teaching slang to students, it was about educating teachers about the existence of the phenomenon so they could adequately "translate" what was being said into the correct conjugation. and actually Jesse Jackson was against it until he went to visit the school district and changed his mind. I think Black people are conservative by nature. The whole frat/sorority movement was built on these very same notions of personal responsibility like 100 years ago. People would say, if we pursued "finer womanhood" then white men wouldn't rape us so much. Or maybe if our kids could be in phi beta kappa, then they wouldn't get lynched. but at the end of the day, those same things still happened b/c personal responsibility wasn't the only thing that made a difference at the end of the day--you were still black. I don't think anyone is saying that you should stop pushing black people to rise to the top. but what if you forget the other part of the equation? racism and classism are still big factors in terms of who receives the full benefits of their actions. And I think thats what Al and Jesse see as their role.

AMEN and AMEN. Not bitchy at all :)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2007, 12:45:04 AM »

It may not be my place to agree (not being a member of the LSD Black Caucus and all), but I do, wholeheartedly.  And I'm so glad you're back.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2007, 12:53:04 AM »

It may not be my place to agree (not being a member of the LSD Black Caucus and all), but I do, wholeheartedly.  And I'm so glad you're back.

lol - LSD black caucus. SMH. I'm glad to be back, though watching Dreamgirls was pretty great too! :D