Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Black Caucus: Whites Not Allowed  (Read 7160 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Black Caucus: Whites Not Allowed
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2007, 11:54:15 PM »
It's called Congress.

You are funny.  There are black people in congress.

Im being serious, imagine the heat that an all-white caucus would receive from the ACLU and NAACP.

Hypocrisy is hilarious

No seriously, it is called Congress.  Namely, the Senate.

what about carol mosely-braun...aye liked her.

I like her too. And she is a Delta! :)
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2007, 11:34:09 AM »
an additional thought. if they dismissed his application in a haughty way, it may have something to do with the fact that he made it public, perhaps in an effort to embarrass them into admitting him.

Yeah, but seriously, how presumptuous is it for some white guy running for office to have said he was going to be the first white member of the CBC without ever even cozying up to John Conyers or taking Eleanor Holmes Norton out to lunch?
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2007, 05:47:01 PM »
It's called Congress.

Im being serious, imagine the heat that an all-white caucus would receive from the ACLU and NAACP.

Hypocrisy is hilarious

a class act...and is above the color of skin nonsense...
did not know that she was a delta...

wait until no one notices who has a tan or not...the senate will be full of folks who, more importantly focus on the fact that they live by da beach.
al sharpton will be a fossil of a forgotten time... ;)
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2007, 06:17:33 PM »
lol! well, clearly you have a different definition than most. the term as i understood it related to the words--someone who uses poor people for profit--someone who pimps them. When I worked at a foundation, we talked about how we didn't want to become "poverty pimps," that we wanted to do our jobs so well that they were no longer needed. Jesse is called a poverty pimp b/c many believe that he depends on the misery of poor people for a living. Not because he believes that racism exists and creates real problems for black people. Although i guess those two could be related in the way that you described. but clearly i have the mentality of a poor black who looks up to the likes of big perm al. so what would i know? thanks for clearing that up for me though.  :)

these same, usually poor but not exclusively, blacks look to the likes of jesse and big perm al as "black leaders" because they tell them it's not their fault it's whitey's fault thereby making it easy for them to do nothing to better themselves....why bother whitey is just going to keep me down....therefore some people feel that these so called "black leaders" pander to poor blacks and jump on issues that more educated (whether formal or otherwise) blacks easily recognize as b.s....thus poverty pimps

Jesse is called a poverty pimp b/c many believe that he depends on the misery of poor people for a living. someone who uses poor people for profit...

i dont see how this is any different than what i described except that...at Vinny's request i went into more detail....you may describe poverty pimp as you like but the term was first used to my knowledge as an insult to jesse jackson when he was running for president in 1984 i don't know if that is before your time or not....and no problem i clear people up all the time.
...man, you was who you was before you got here

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2007, 06:21:34 PM »
It's called Congress.

Hypocrisy is hilarious

wait until no one notices who has a tan or not...the senate will be full of folks who live by da beach.

can't wait for that day

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2007, 06:27:17 PM »
Poverty pimp is a derogatory label used to convey the accusation that an individual or group is benefiting unduly by acting as an intermediary on behalf of the poor. Those who use this appellation suggest that "poverty pimps" profit from their attempts to alleviate the misfortune of others, and therefore do not really wish the poverty to be eliminated permanently as it is not in their own interest for this to happen, and that if profit was eliminated as a factor, great steps in the alleviation of poverty would begin to truly occur.

The most frequent targets of this accusation are groups receiving government funding.

Another meaning for the term, sometimes used, is an individual or group that solicits private charity for the poor.

it is older than jesse apparently but he and his perm wearing homies are still the primary thought that comes to my mind when i hear the phrase...and always giving credit where credit is due at least al stopped wearing the gold chains...especially on the outside of his velvet sweat suit...'cause that's what i want in a leader

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2007, 06:36:11 PM »
It's called Congress.

Hypocrisy is hilarious

wait until no one notices who has a tan or not...the senate will be full of folks who live by da beach.

can't wait for that day

sooner than ya think... ;)
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2007, 08:16:20 PM »
What should one do if one wants to help black and/or poor people? Is working at a law firm any better than what the CBC, or for that matter, Jesse/Al, is trying to do? I'm thinking about motes and beams at the moment...jsia

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2007, 08:18:19 PM »
What should one do if one wants to help black and/or poor people? Is working at a law firm any better than what the CBC, or for that matter, Jesse/Al, is trying to do? I'm thinking about motes and beams at the moment...jsia

I think that's exactly right.  Sometimes our priorities really get unsorted when we critique people who are trying, generally, to do the right thing.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2007, 08:55:52 PM »
the road to hell is paved with good intentions...and i will continue to critique those put themselves out there for critiquin'