Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Black Caucus: Whites Not Allowed  (Read 7326 times)

iman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Black Caucus: Whites Not Allowed
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2007, 11:57:46 PM »
i don't know if i necessarily disagree with the CBC. But, I do think that after reading articles about what happens in Congress and in the Senate there is alot of show and not that much substantive stuff going on. on one hand, you would think having more people would be good. but on the other, it seems like stuff like that almost doesn't make a difference. given the fact that most of them are old heads, they know alot more about the politics inside Congress than we do. maybe they had a reason for doing what they did. i don't know for sure but I don't think that all of them fall into the category of poverty pimps for that reason. i mean was JC Watts a member of the CBC? I don't think he was...there has to be some type of ideological litmus test that is used right?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2007, 02:10:21 PM »
I must put on the record my disgust with the Black Caucus over this issue.  I can understand testing a Majority aspirant for sincerity, but once that is established they need to let him/her into the fold.

i agree...might be a bit of a highjack but do you all think that maybe the older generation say those who came of age during the civil rights era are getting a little obsolete...not that the struggle is obsolete but the methods and mindset...sometimes i read things like this and some of the stuff some of them are saying about Obama and other issues...im just like maan times have changed all that "blacks this and whites that" i mean we know racism exists and all that...but do yall think that maybe its time to let some of that stuff go...im not saying forget it...but a lot of them, there are some exceptions, just don't seem to be in tune with the educated/professional future black leaders mindset anymore...a lot of them do seem to be "poverty pimps"...maybe its just me feel free to disagree

What's a "poverty pimp"?

lets see if i can explain intelligently its kind of a catch all...its a term given to black leaders who tend to jump on issues that are not really important in the scheme of things but that sound good and get people excited...they also tend to, as we have discussed before, excuse blacks for whatever irresponsible bull ish they do with the old standard black people can't do this or don't have that because the white man is keeping us down and for no other reason...they attack other blacks who stress personal responsibilty, accountability, and education as  blaming the victim i.e. bill cosby...its called poverty pimp because it seems to be an effective tool in poor black communities...they get on tv and say things like "black people are..." presuming to speak for all black people because we of course all think and look alike...whenever there is a big racial incident they call all the major news outlets so they can get on all the news channels and give the "black point of view"...im sorry this in not my best work im a little tired...if anybody else wants to expound please do...maybe an example is worth a thousand words...AL SHARPTON and JESSE JACKSON

I really LOL'd at this.  [shaking head]
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

iman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2007, 05:42:34 PM »
i always thought of poverty pimps as those who do a job that is supposedly based on social welfare, but they do it just to get a check. meaning a social worker who wants to keep people in the system b/c it keeps their job going. and in that sense, Al might be considered a poverty pimp b/c he wants controversies to continue b/c if there weren't any controversies, then he wouldn't make any money. people wouldn't support the national action network (his organization) if there wasn't some type of ruckus being raised constantly. but i just want to reiterate to imvinny and others that some of us don't agree with bill cosby b/c we don't think his speeches are based in fact, nor are they built for the purposes of uplift or encouragement. as a matter of fact, I actually think of Cosby as a poverty pimp. If he didn't have these "poor black children dragging backpacks with no books" to lament over and tear down, how much would he be making in terms of speaking engagements in 2007? just a thought...

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2007, 06:52:52 PM »
i always thought of poverty pimps as those who do a job that is supposedly based on social welfare, but they do it just to get a check. meaning a social worker who wants to keep people in the system b/c it keeps their job going. and in that sense, Al might be considered a poverty pimp b/c he wants controversies to continue b/c if there weren't any controversies, then he wouldn't make any money. people wouldn't support the national action network (his organization) if there wasn't some type of ruckus being raised constantly. but i just want to reiterate to imvinny and others that some of us don't agree with bill cosby b/c we don't think his speeches are based in fact, nor are they built for the purposes of uplift or encouragement. as a matter of fact, I actually think of Cosby as a poverty pimp. If he didn't have these "poor black children dragging backpacks with no books" to lament over and tear down, how much would he be making in terms of speaking engagements in 2007? just a thought...

do you think that bill cosby who drops 30 and 40 million a pop on HBCUs is really sweating how much he makes in speaking engagements...and his comments are towards the adults who dont give a damn...more so than the children
...man, you was who you was before you got here

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2007, 07:45:43 PM »
ok might be a little late but now that i am well rested...a "poverty pimp" (i didn't coin this term its been around for a while not sure who originated it but it was originally directed towards jesse)  is all of the things i previously described...but i think a better answer is...basically many black people (i would say educated professionals but its not exclusive to that group) are tired of hearing the same old it's whitey excuse...those who seem to be most willing to hold on to that are often poor blacks...though not exclusively as we have seen on this board...these same, usually poor but not exclusively, blacks look to the likes of jesse and big perm al as "black leaders" because they tell them it's not their fault it's whitey's fault thereby making it easy for them to do nothing to better themselves....why bother whitey is just going to keep me down....therefore some people feel that these so called "black leaders" pander to poor blacks and jump on issues that more educated (whether formal or otherwise) blacks easily recognize as b.s....thus poverty pimps

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2007, 08:16:18 PM »
Do you think that they will inevidably allow him to join? I mean, shouldn't they be concerned about the fact that a majority of his district is black and he actually cares about representing THEM?

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2007, 08:18:44 PM »
Do you think that they will inevidably allow him to join? I mean, shouldn't they be concerned about the fact that a majority of his district is black and he actually cares about representing THEM?

i dont know how it will play out...the reason they gave at least according to the article was irresponsible imo...i guess since the guy let it go that will be the end of it...

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2007, 08:57:22 PM »
I'm kind of surprised by how people in this thread have dogged the work of the CBC.  Taking into account the fact that most of its members have long been in the political minority in Congress (and, of course, institutional racism), I think the CBC has organized reasonably well and done some good.  In any case, its political effectiveness surely can't be judged on the basis of number of legislative successes.  I mean, seriously, there's one black senator and something like 40 black representatives.  It's hard to get things beyond holding hearings and writing reports if these are your numbers.  And these numbers may be the highest we've ever seen in the house (correct me if I'm wrong). 

Also, I don't think we should underestimate the supportive function of the CBC.  It's there not just to make legislative inroads but to support and educate junior members, etc.  Considering all of its members who have leadership positions on key committees, it may be doing a very good job of this.

here's where your argument is faulty... if these "conservative republican congresspersons" (his words not mine lol) wanted to join they simply would have tried... and they have not...CBC was founded in 1969.. if folks wanted to "takeover".. they would have done so by now

I don't think so.  Meiji's argument was that once a white member was admitted, other white representatives might believe they were also entitled to admission, that the floodgates would be opened.  Soon, a huge number of white Democrats in the northern and western states would try to join to shore up their credibility with black and other minority voters, and then whites anywhere with any signficant black voting bloc would do the same when they saw the political payoffs.  It's a potential problem.

As a (pretty much) white person who spent many years working in a majority black organization that focuses on African American civil rights issues, I do believe there is a place for white people of anti-racist political conscience in some black groups.  That role may be circumscribed (e.g., service not leadership) in some contexts.  And in others it may not exist at all.  The CBC has determined that it's not ready to let whites in.  I really don't see a problem with this, and I'm surprised so many of you (eh, not Vinny) do.  How is this different from Girl Scouts not admitting boys or the hens excluding the wolves from the henhouse?

When whites make up a congressional minority and can point to a centuries-old history of racial oppression at the hands of blacks, they can have form a CWC and exclude all the blacks they want. 

Finally, the majority-black district compromise seems a fair one, but I'm perfectly okay with the CBC saying that it won't admit non-black members too.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

iman

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2007, 10:58:40 PM »
lol! well, clearly you have a different definition than most. the term as i understood it related to the words--someone who uses poor people for profit--someone who pimps them. When I worked at a foundation, we talked about how we didn't want to become "poverty pimps," that we wanted to do our jobs so well that they were no longer needed. Jesse is called a poverty pimp b/c many believe that he depends on the misery of poor people for a living. Not because he believes that racism exists and creates real problems for black people. Although i guess those two could be related in the way that you described. but clearly i have the mentality of a poor black who looks up to the likes of big perm al. so what would i know? thanks for clearing that up for me though.  :)

these same, usually poor but not exclusively, blacks look to the likes of jesse and big perm al as "black leaders" because they tell them it's not their fault it's whitey's fault thereby making it easy for them to do nothing to better themselves....why bother whitey is just going to keep me down....therefore some people feel that these so called "black leaders" pander to poor blacks and jump on issues that more educated (whether formal or otherwise) blacks easily recognize as b.s....thus poverty pimps

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2007, 11:23:54 PM »
It's called Congress.

You are funny.  There are black people in congress.

Im being serious, imagine the heat that an all-white caucus would receive from the ACLU and NAACP.

Hypocrisy is hilarious

No seriously, it is called Congress.  Namely, the Senate.

what about carol mosely-braun...aye liked her.
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare