Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Black Caucus: Whites Not Allowed  (Read 7443 times)

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
Re: Black Caucus: Whites Not Allowed
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2007, 07:48:04 PM »
I doubt that this is a generational thing.

How, in practice, could the CBC prevent itself from being flooded by southern republicans? 'Test their sincerity'? how?

this is a caucus, not a committee.

i understand its a caucus but we're talking about congressmen and senators here...i mean come on now...where is this whole takeover thing coming from...from what i've heard he's the only guy that asked...he seemed like his intentions were genuine...im with blackreign on this there answer lets you know that its not about anybodies best interest its about we want to be petty because we can...just sounds 'ignant to me
...man, you was who you was before you got here

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2007, 07:58:26 PM »
I must put on the record my disgust with the Black Caucus over this issue.  I can understand testing a Majority aspirant for sincerity, but once that is established they need to let him/her into the fold.

i agree...might be a bit of a highjack but do you all think that maybe the older generation say those who came of age during the civil rights era are getting a little obsolete...not that the struggle is obsolete but the methods and mindset...sometimes i read things like this and some of the stuff some of them are saying about Obama and other issues...im just like maan times have changed all that "blacks this and whites that" i mean we know racism exists and all that...but do yall think that maybe its time to let some of that stuff go...im not saying forget it...but a lot of them, there are some exceptions, just don't seem to be in tune with the educated/professional future black leaders mindset anymore...a lot of them do seem to be "poverty pimps"...maybe its just me feel free to disagree

I agree.  Our generation has different racial issues than our predecessors.  Therefore, we view racial issue differently.

big mistake. don't ever lose that 'healthy' skepticism.  ;)
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2007, 08:00:57 PM »
yeah, sure there's a cringe factor, but there's still a difficult issue underneath it.

you let one guy in and it's hard to see how you could prevent anyone else from joining, including every 'conservative' republican congressperson from the south.

why wold they want to join? because it would innoculate them against competition from opponents who actually do care about black issues, including from competition offered by black candidates -- "I'm a member of the CBC; I care and I'm on it". How's the opponent supposed to answer to that?

Letting even a sincere white person into the CBC would be good PR, but bad politics.

well that would be why he would have to represent a majority black district...if he don't do right he's out (ask cynthis mckinney)...plus seems like a lot to go through too...i mean they don't have to innoculate themselves from anything if the last 8 years have shown us anything its that if they want to pull some ish they ain't gotta sneak into the black caucus to do it...

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2007, 08:14:20 PM »
here's where your argument is faulty... if these "conservative republican congresspersons" (his words not mine lol) wanted to join they simply would have tried... and they have not...CBC was founded in 1969.. if folks wanted to "takeover".. they would have done so by now

people are always marching and talking about how our voices are not heard..yet assuming that this one white congressman actually was concerned about issues that are affecting the black community... we (or rather the CBC) in their moment of taking a stand and not looking beyond the color line.. turned their back on someone that very well could have been an asset...

CBC hasn't done much in all these yrs.. perhaps it's time to change the methods in which they choose to tackle on issues that directly affect us...

yeah, sure there's a cringe factor, but there's still a difficult issue underneath it.

you let one guy in and it's hard to see how you could prevent anyone else from joining, including every 'conservative' republican congressperson from the south.

why wold they want to join? because it would innoculate them against competition from opponents who actually do care about black issues, including from competition offered by black candidates -- "I'm a member of the CBC; I care and I'm on it". How's the opponent supposed to answer to that?

Letting even a sincere white person into the CBC would be good PR, but bad politics.
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2007, 08:54:49 PM »
while they were meeting and thought of it as a bad play..they should have found a better way to vocalize their decision to prohibit him from becoming a member... seriously..we all know that if a white organization stated something of that magnitude.. it simply would receive some backlash.. there'd be some sort of news segment or something... and that's a problem...

CBC is smelling themselves a bit too hard on this one.. and it's something that one cannot justify
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2007, 09:19:57 PM »
"Mr. Cohen asked for admission, and he got his answer. ... It's time to move on," the younger Clay said. "It's an unwritten rule. It's understood. It's clear."

now that's just trifling.. how's that for a CBC soundbite for 07? SMH :(.. negroes get some "power" and they try to turn it into an all white country club ::)....

I can understand having an organization like CBC geared towards Blacks.. it's needed.. just as there's a need for BLSA and BSA organizations in college...however to blatantly say.. no.. u're white.. u can't be a part of our circle is just trifling and racist on so many levels...

comparing this to Congress and Senate is inappropriate since we actually vote on these members during elections.. regardless of how pitiful the voting system may be...

We usually don't agree on things, but I am agreeing with you on this. I think that it is racist for them to deny him admission to the caucus. The job of a congressman is to represent the people that elected him. If the person elected had been black would s/he be admitted to the caucus if s/he wanted? I think so, and this would show that they are reducing it to an issue of the color of the man's skin, and I think we can all agree that that should NOT be allowed.

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2007, 09:20:27 PM »
I must put on the record my disgust with the Black Caucus over this issue.  I can understand testing a Majority aspirant for sincerity, but once that is established they need to let him/her into the fold.

i agree...might be a bit of a highjack but do you all think that maybe the older generation say those who came of age during the civil rights era are getting a little obsolete...not that the struggle is obsolete but the methods and mindset...sometimes i read things like this and some of the stuff some of them are saying about Obama and other issues...im just like maan times have changed all that "blacks this and whites that" i mean we know racism exists and all that...but do yall think that maybe its time to let some of that stuff go...im not saying forget it...but a lot of them, there are some exceptions, just don't seem to be in tune with the educated/professional future black leaders mindset anymore...a lot of them do seem to be "poverty pimps"...maybe its just me feel free to disagree

What's a "poverty pimp"?

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2007, 09:22:24 PM »

Isn't this the same type of argument used when people started talkign about hiring blacks? I have always thought it was a stupid reason to keep people out of things.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2007, 09:41:18 PM »

What's a "poverty pimp"?

lets see if i can explain intelligently its kind of a catch all...its a term given to black leaders who tend to jump on issues that are not really important in the scheme of things but that sound good and get people excited...they also tend to, as we have discussed before, excuse blacks for whatever irresponsible bull ish they do with the old standard black people can't do this or don't have that because the white man is keeping us down and for no other reason...they attack other blacks who stress personal responsibilty, accountability, and education as  blaming the victim i.e. bill cosby...its called poverty pimp because it seems to be an effective tool in poor black communities...they get on tv and say things like "black people are..." presuming to speak for all black people because we of course all think and look alike...whenever there is a big racial incident they call all the major news outlets so they can get on all the news channels and give the "black point of view"...im sorry this in not my best work im a little tired...if anybody else wants to expound please do...maybe an example is worth a thousand words...AL SHARPTON and JESSE JACKSON

ImVinny!

• Sr. Citizen
  • What am I?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2007, 09:44:49 PM »
Thanks jarhead