Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Black Caucus: Whites Not Allowed  (Read 7159 times)

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
Re: Black Caucus: Whites Not Allowed
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 06:58:14 PM »
I still think you would find that a majority of representatives from majority black districts are white...

Mo and Opoto hit me up

How you gonna say hit me up and not be online?
Look to the left -- Look to the right

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 06:59:46 PM »
It's called Congress.

You are funny.  There are black people in congress.

Im being serious, imagine the heat that an all-white caucus would receive from the ACLU and NAACP.

Hypocrisy is hilarious

he has a point...
...man, you was who you was before you got here

((A))P

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 07:03:30 PM »
It's called Congress.

this is on point...
why is it that white folks are still threatened by folks of color, especially Black folk getting together on their own. back in the day they used to have laws against Blacks congregating in groups (of course they feared insurrection). To this day they try to infiltrate, some even crying about reverse discrimination (which of course does not exist).the most pertinent question in this story is for the whites who are bothered by it, i ask them to interrogate their motives and reactions. honestly, why does this bother you?

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 07:08:41 PM »
Yeah, I don't like this on behalf of the CBC. Seems like the organization wants to feel comfortable saying the things they say in the meetings and perhaps a white person would disturbed that climate. I can understand that, but it should be about the people they represent and if these cats are really about helping black folk, surely getting this nilla in the room so they can get him on board with the program would help. But maybe they can talk to him in other forums.

Still doesn't sit well with me though.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 07:12:17 PM »
It's called Congress.

this is on point...
why is it that white folks are still threatened by folks of color, especially Black folk getting together on their own. back in the day they used to have laws against Blacks congregating in groups (of course they feared insurrection). To this day they try to infiltrate, some even crying about reverse discrimination (which of course does not exist).the most pertinent question in this story is for the whites who are bothered by it, i ask them to interrogate their motives and reactions. honestly, why does this bother you?

your kind of all over the place here...why do you assume he's threatened i didn't read anything in the article to suggest that his motive was to "infilitrate" this threatening black organization...in fact he seemed to get it...and didn't seem to be too offended...but thats him some one else may decide to make it an issue so....while i understand and agree with the necessity and sentiment behind all black organizations, particularly of a social sort...i don't really see how you can justify excluding a member of Congress/Senate from participating in a government sanctioned organization based soley on race...i think that allowing  those who represent predominately black districts to join is an excellent idea

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 07:22:02 PM »
What would your reaction be if I reversed your post?

it's a tough issue. if two white congress-persons disagree about white issues, there's nevertheless some element of trust. but what if it's instead two members of the CWC and one's white and the other's black? still the same level of trust? enough to caucus together?

there's also the question of how many non-white members could be admitted into the CWC. the demand to join would be high enough that it may become minority-white. that would in turn raise the spectre of co-option.

That it would be a completely different situation, and not parallel? Whites are the majority, and hold the majority of political power. That's why they don't need their own caucus. Doesn't seem that complicated. I never understand how that's supposed to be a compelling argument. "But what if whites kept out other races!" They effectively do. They just don't need special rules to do so.

he's got a point too

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2007, 07:24:15 PM »
I must put on the record my disgust with the Black Caucus over this issue.  I can understand testing a Majority aspirant for sincerity, but once that is established they need to let him/her into the fold.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2007, 07:30:47 PM »
"Mr. Cohen asked for admission, and he got his answer. ... It's time to move on," the younger Clay said. "It's an unwritten rule. It's understood. It's clear."

now that's just trifling.. how's that for a CBC soundbite for 07? SMH :(.. negroes get some "power" and they try to turn it into an all white country club ::)....

I can understand having an organization like CBC geared towards Blacks.. it's needed.. just as there's a need for BLSA and BSA organizations in college...however to blatantly say.. no.. u're white.. u can't be a part of our circle is just trifling and racist on so many levels...

comparing this to Congress and Senate is inappropriate since we actually vote on these members during elections.. regardless of how pitiful the voting system may be...
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2007, 07:32:08 PM »
I must put on the record my disgust with the Black Caucus over this issue.  I can understand testing a Majority aspirant for sincerity, but once that is established they need to let him/her into the fold.

i agree...might be a bit of a highjack but do you all think that maybe the older generation say those who came of age during the civil rights era are getting a little obsolete...not that the struggle is obsolete but the methods and mindset...sometimes i read things like this and some of the stuff some of them are saying about Obama and other issues...im just like maan times have changed all that "blacks this and whites that" i mean we know racism exists and all that...but do yall think that maybe its time to let some of that stuff go...im not saying forget it...but a lot of them, there are some exceptions, just don't seem to be in tune with the educated/professional future black leaders mindset anymore...a lot of them do seem to be "poverty pimps"...maybe its just me feel free to disagree

Young Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 07:35:58 PM »

i agree...might be a bit of a highjack but do you all think that maybe the older generation say those who came of age during the civil rights era are getting a little obsolete...not that the struggle is obsolete but the methods and mindset...sometimes i read things like this and some of the stuff some of them are saying about Obama and other issues...im just like maan times have changed all that "blacks this and whites that" i mean we know racism exists and all that...but do yall think that maybe its time to let some of that stuff go...im not saying forget it...but a lot of them, there are some exceptions, just don't seem to be in tune with the educated/professional future black leaders mindset anymore...a lot of them do seem to be "poverty pimps"...maybe its just me feel free to disagree

I agree.  Our generation has different racial issues than our predecessors.  Therefore, we view racial issue differently.