Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can you be rejected?  (Read 3361 times)

oudidntno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Can you be rejected?
« on: January 23, 2007, 01:29:51 PM »
Quick question- has anyone ever been rejected by a school that sent him or her an invite to apply and waived the app. fee?  Unless you're currently on death row, does it mean you're pretty much in?

oudidntno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: Can you be rejected?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 01:55:36 PM »
Quick question- has anyone ever been rejected by a school that sent him or her an invite to apply and waived the app. fee?  Unless you're currently on death row, does it mean you're pretty much in?

YES. I think with my Michigan fee waiver they stated that regular applications get admitted around 25% of the time, while those with fee waivers get admitted around 50%. I could be wrong on the numbers, or even that Michigan sent that, but the fact remains that fee waivers can be misleading.

Hmmm....That sounds like a crazy girl I dated once.  One day she says she loves me, tells me how wonderful I am, goes out of her way so I can spend time with her....and then two weeks later she rejects me and calls me an a-hole. 

ptown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 02:03:08 PM »
Fee waivers are auto-generated off of CRS lists.  The school requests a wide range of numbers and somehow, randomly or otherwise, decides who to send them to from just a couple self-reported numbers and URM status. 

Obviously, the admissions process is a bit more involved, and while it is likely that the percentage of accetences is higher for those chosen by CRS, the vague and unreliable criteria they are based on are far from a guarantee.

Also, you have to expect that schools may be sending out a lot of waivers just to get apps up, since it certainly seems that people tend to send apps to schools with waivers, even if they have little interest in it.

Oh, and I got a fee waiver but was waitlisted at Valpo....and there isn't anything wrong with me, it was the lowest school I applied to and have been accepted at much much higher schools.
Missouri 1L

"I was discriminated against during the college-testing process because I come from a culture that is opposed to filling in circles completely and with firm pressure."

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 03:12:13 PM »
Often times schools will give large numbers of fee waivers so as to increase application numbers, lowering their admissions percentage and making them seem more exclusive.  So, many unqualified, likely-to-be-denied applicants will sometimes get fee waivers.

I think Columbia does this.

Harvard sent out an email invite (no fee waiver, but still) to apply to a number of people a month or so back - many people who received the email has LSATs in the low 160s, making a Harvard admit near impossible.

oudidntno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 03:28:35 PM »

YES. I think with my Michigan fee waiver they stated that regular applications get admitted around 25% of the time, while those with fee waivers get admitted around 50%. I could be wrong on the numbers, or even that Michigan sent that, but the fact remains that fee waivers can be misleading.

Hmmm....That sounds like a crazy girl I dated once.  One day she says she loves me, tells me how wonderful I am, goes out of her way so I can spend time with her....and then two weeks later she rejects me and calls me an a-hole. 

Yes, showing interest in a girl should be a binding marriage proposal.

If you know a woman who goes from love to hatred in two weeks and an attempting stabbing or affair isn't involved, get her help quick...its called Bipolarism or Manic depression.  Just reminded me of the difference between the warm fuzzy law school websites with their invitations to apply and the cold rejection letter, that's all.

ptown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 03:52:22 PM »

Yes, showing interest in a girl should be a binding marriage proposal.

If you know a woman who goes from love to hatred in two weeks and an attempting stabbing or affair isn't involved, get her help quick...its called Bipolarism or Manic depression.  Just reminded me of the difference between the warm fuzzy law school websites with their invitations to apply and the cold rejection letter, that's all.

Probably the woman was infatuated with the guys appearance at first, but once she got to know him realized that he totally sucks.  Just like a law school that sends you a fee waiver.  They get all turned on by your lsat score or gpa, but once they read your file they think you are a total loser.

Missouri 1L

"I was discriminated against during the college-testing process because I come from a culture that is opposed to filling in circles completely and with firm pressure."

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 11:04:03 PM »
Just go on LSN and look at all the fee waivers Vanderbilt gave out. Do you think that say even half of them will be accepted?
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

LuvHurtz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 11:17:36 PM »
Often times schools will give large numbers of fee waivers so as to increase application numbers, lowering their admissions percentage and making them seem more exclusive.  So, many unqualified, likely-to-be-denied applicants will sometimes get fee waivers.
I think Columbia does this.

Harvard sent out an email invite (no fee waiver, but still) to apply to a number of people a month or so back - many people who received the email has LSATs in the low 160s, making a Harvard admit near impossible.

titcr

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 12:08:22 AM »
You can definitely be rejected even if they give you a waiver.
Columbia 3L

S2X

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 01:49:27 AM »
I've been rejected by more than one school that gave me a fee waiver.  It's very possible.