Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Distance among friends?  (Read 852 times)

ladylegal

• My darling foxie...
    • View Profile
Distance among friends?
« on: January 22, 2007, 11:25:21 PM »
What happens when there's no longer a common ground among friends? When your paths in life are so far apart there's just nothing left to talk about? Have you ever felt gulity after rant and raving about your goals to here a response of silence?

Anyone else in a similiar situation?\

Just wondering...
The cause of freedom is not the cause of a race or a sect, a party or a class--it is the cause of human kind, the very birthright of humanity.
--Anna Julia Cooper

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Distance among friends?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 11:30:03 PM »
People grow apart.  C'est la vie.  Reminisce about old times.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 11:38:16 PM »
Interesting question.

I think good friends, true friends who have your back no matter what, are hard to come by so if you have some in your life, even if your goals are different from their goals, you should hold onto 'em.  Now if they're into something that prevents you from being friends then that's a different story.

Its tough with us in the law because we're really a part of an alternate universe that only we can relate to.  I don't know about you, but I need friends to talk to sometimes who know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the law.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 01:10:52 AM »
What happens when there no longer a common ground among friends? When your paths in life are so far apart there just nothing left to talk about? Have you ever felt gulity after rant and raving about your goals to here a response of silence?

Just wondering...

You get arrogant about how you're going to law school and hence doing something with your life. Then you drop little hints about how your life is going to go well for you and how by comparison, your friends aren't doing nearly as well...  ::)
Look to the left -- Look to the right

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 01:33:26 AM »
Yeah, that's the problem.  Different aspirations.  It's better just not to talk about that stuff around people who aren't similarly situated.  When I go home and talk to my firefighter and police friends, we talk about everyday things.  You can't be all like, "Yeah, I'm going to be making $160k, plus bonus, so around $190k.  I think I'm going to get a Porsche pretty soon.  What do you think?"  Even though you're friends, it's going to make them feel comparatively inadequate.  It's something you're just going to have to learn to deal with.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 02:41:35 AM »
Yeah, that's the problem.  Different aspirations.  It's better just not to talk about that stuff around people who aren't similarly situated.  When I go home and talk to my firefighter and police friends, we talk about everyday things.  You can't be all like, "Yeah, I'm going to be making $160k, plus bonus, so around $190k.  I think I'm going to get a Porsche pretty soon.  What do you think?"   Even though you're friends, it's going to make them feel comparatively inadequate.  It's something you're just going to have to learn to deal with.

rofl!  Alci you make my day sometimes.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 02:48:57 AM »
Yeah, that's the problem.  Different aspirations.  It's better just not to talk about that stuff around people who aren't similarly situated.  When I go home and talk to my firefighter and police friends, we talk about everyday things.  You can't be all like, "Yeah, I'm going to be making $160k, plus bonus, so around $190k.  I think I'm going to get a Porsche pretty soon.  What do you think?"  Even though you're friends, it's going to make them feel comparatively inadequate.  It's something you're just going to have to learn to deal with.

lol - I was being sarcastic, mocking the OP 'cause she's likely "growing apart" because she's lettin' this get to her head. I wasn't serious.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 08:14:36 AM »
I agree with Alci. People grow apart.  It has nothing to do with law school (for me at least). 
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

newme165

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 08:48:40 AM »
I have been away from my friends for the last year(living in the Midwest while they are living in NYC). Out of my whole team of cheerleaders I only talk to one. We spent four years living, drinking, laughing, cheering and fighting with each other and so it is just sad. But I will say that when I am home things kinda fall back into place as far as us hanging out and me feeling apart of the group again. So I think that maybe we really don't grow apart we just may spend less time with each other.
But what I am really scared about is when we all start getting married and the men in our lives start to take the role of bestfriend and lover.  ???
The LSAT makes me cry!!!!!!!!

ladylegal

• My darling foxie...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 04:52:03 PM »
What happens when there no longer a common ground among friends? When your paths in life are so far apart there just nothing left to talk about? Have you ever felt gulity after rant and raving about your goals to here a response of silence?

Just wondering...

You get arrogant about how you're going to law school and hence doing something with your life. Then you drop little hints about how your life is going to go well for you and how by comparison, your friends aren't doing nearly as well...  ::)

Partly true...I am arrogant at times but I've earned it and I'm not even in the thick of it yet  ;D. My best friend is currently at Yale-Bridgeport studying anesthesiology and while her studying keeps her isolated for the most part when we get together things just click she chasing her dream while I'm chasing mines. My college roomate is currently NYPD and we chat here and there but nothing with depth. My other close friends are either married have kids or both. I feel out of the loop with them.... quick story

The other day we were hang out at my college roomates place and the conversation turned to having children. Without much thought I said "hell nah...not for at least seven years" just does fit in well with my current goals. Needless to say my friends with kids immediately went on the defensive...I felt like a totally a-hole but I wasn't sure why.

I know people grow apart and circles change but there something priceless about toasting it up with those who came up with you. 
The cause of freedom is not the cause of a race or a sect, a party or a class--it is the cause of human kind, the very birthright of humanity.
--Anna Julia Cooper