Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: George Mason and the rankings  (Read 5058 times)

oudidntno

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
George Mason and the rankings
« on: January 22, 2007, 04:43:15 PM »
I know I've seen the link(s) somewhere on this board, but, as usual, can't find them when I need them- can anybody tell me how to view the individual US News rankings for all tier one schools from the past few years (esp. the last 3 years).  I'm specifically looking for info on George Mason.  I heard its moved up, but how fast?

Thanks

Harmonium

• Sr. Citizen
  • Schiedmayer
    • View Profile
Re: George Mason and the rankings
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 09:08:47 AM »
George Mason has climbed especially quickly in the past couple of years. I think it was T2 just a few years back, but now is 37th. I think they've hired especially good faculty in law and economics. I don't believe other schools in that range have climbed the rankings so quickly in recent years.

Penelope

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 10:46:32 AM »
This spreadsheet has George Mason for the past couple of years, once it got into T50..

don't know about before that.
woo-hoo (accept): BC, GULC, Northwestern, Cornell, Vanderbilt ($), WUStL ($$), GW, BU ($)
d'oh (reject): Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, UChicago, NYU, Boalt
meh (defer/wl): Penn, Duke, UVa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 10:59:37 PM »
GMU is an interesting one. They have a pretty huge LSAT and GPA spread... some great Law & Econ folks. 2 Nobel laureates.

"It's a comer..." - Bud Fox, Wall Street

Paper Chaser

• Sr. Citizen
  • http://guinnessandchocolate.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 02:58:42 AM »
George Mason please let me in!!!

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 04:13:29 AM »
It was tier 3 not that long ago.

Good school, but limited faculty base as of yet.

jdhu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 02:28:19 PM »
I am a 1L at GMU, actually in my Econ class right now.

As others have mentioned, the school has ascended quickly in the rankings, and people in the DC area seem to think it will be in top 25 within a few years (this is just hearsay of course).

The faculty is really quite impressive, Yale, Chicago, USC grads, etc with a lot of good experience.  The school's strengths are its econ and legal writing courses.

Just a few days ago, the VA bar came out with their first-time passage rates, GMU beat out UVA, W&L, GW, Georgetown, etc.

I know this all sounds fanboy-ish, but I actually plan on tranferring (miss California).  I do really like GMU though.

seikyouiku

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 09:50:59 PM »
I dig L&E, and GM is a cool school, but their economics is wack. "They don't believe in math" is what my economics professor told me.

rsr28

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 05:41:20 PM »
I dig L&E, and GM is a cool school, but their economics is wack. "They don't believe in math" is what my economics professor told me.

That's really not a terribly uncommon position for faculty to take with regard to economics.

seikyouiku

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 08:15:26 PM »

That's really not a terribly uncommon position for faculty to take with regard to economics.

Ah, I meant that they "don't believe in math" specifically within the economics department at GMU, not just in the law department.

I would expect that to be true at most law schools...