Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What's the deal with University of Michigan  (Read 2300 times)

Turtle2152

• View Profile
    • Email
What's the deal with University of Michigan
« on: September 07, 2004, 07:29:00 PM »
I went and visited U of M this summer and really liked it.  It's also ranked up there. I was wondering if anyone has any personal experiences to speak of or knows anything about how good career options are.

rwhitman

Re: What's the deal with University of Michigan
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 07:53:11 PM »
I went and visited U of M this summer and really liked it.  It's also ranked up there. I was wondering if anyone has any personal experiences to speak of or knows anything about how good career options are.

I don't like it just because there are no good job prospects nearby-- unless you want to work in D-Town :(  I was thinking about applying there too, then I realized that I would most likely have to move every summer to do an internship in some other state(if I was lucky enough to get that option). That said, it IS a highly ranked school so I'm sure you would have no problems finding a job after graduation. I did hear the rumor about people ripping pages out of library books there but that may not be true.

barchk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 12:45:47 PM »
I'm a 1L at Michigan - in the middle of my first week of classes.  The placement rate here is similar to the rest of the top 14 - around 97%.  The majority of Umich grads take the bar in New York, but Michigan also places a large percentage of grads in Chicago, D.C. and the Bay area.  True, for summer jobs you probably will not stay in the Ann Arbor/Detroit area, but over 700 employers participate in on campus interviewing, so you have some amazing options.
As far as ripping out pages in the library - I haven't seen or heard anything like that.  The 2Ls and 3Ls that I've talked to all say it's a friendly, not overly competitive atmosphere.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 02:35:26 PM »
Thanks for the insight, barchk!  Good luck as a 1L :)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

barchk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 11:28:08 PM »
Thanks - after this week I'll need it.  I'd heard all the stories about studying for 10 hours each night, but I thought it was an exageration.  Nope - it's definately true, at least at first.

Yonvan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 12:09:58 AM »
Wow -- literally 10 hours?

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 01:06:01 AM »
Thanks - after this week I'll need it.  I'd heard all the stories about studying for 10 hours each night, but I thought it was an exageration.  Nope - it's definately true, at least at first.

24 hours a day -
8 hours of sleep =
16 hours a day awake -
10 hours of studying =
6 hours for class, food, commuting, etc.

Wow, that's a really busy 6 hours :)

(Yes, I know law kids prob don't sleep 8 hours on the 10-hour study plan.)
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

barchk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 12:29:36 PM »
Don't worry - it's definately not 10 hours every night.  Tomight should only be 4 or 5.  But give up on that idea of 8 hours of sleep.  :)
You have to fit the fun in somewhere.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 02:00:36 PM »
Don't worry - it's definately not 10 hours every night.  Tomight should only be 4 or 5.  But give up on that idea of 8 hours of sleep.  :)
You have to fit the fun in somewhere.

Sleep = fun ;)

I'm madly in love with my mattress right now.  We'll see what I have next year.  If it sucks, I'll probably only want like 5-6 hours of sleep anyway.  ;)

barchk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 03:56:04 PM »
Yeah - I'm living in the dorms and let me tell you - 6 hours on a hard twin bed mattress is more than enough - and I don't even want to think about what other people have done on that mattress.  It freaks me out more than a little.