Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Alternative Rankings  (Read 1185 times)

sk

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not as scary as it looks!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Alternative Rankings
« on: January 21, 2007, 12:43:25 PM »
Does anyone have access to the Princeton Review rankings, especially the ones for Best Overall Academic Experience and Quality of Faculty? I'd really like to see them...

Thanks.
"buffoons don't clerk for federal judges!"

--LSN--

halluv

Re: Alternative Rankings
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 12:45:09 PM »
tag

Brito

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Harvard 2010

sk

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not as scary as it looks!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 01:26:26 PM »
"buffoons don't clerk for federal judges!"

--LSN--

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2007, 01:38:06 PM »
Those rankings are really stupid. NU is supposedly better than Harvard at job placement.

joe23sxe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 01:47:07 PM »
Those rankings are really stupid. NU is supposedly better than Harvard at job placement.

I actually don't think that's too far-fetched. I believe Northwestern has relatively small class sizes, whereas Harvard has more than 500 people in each class. Combine that with the fact that the vast majority of Northwestern students enter with at least one year of full-time work experience, and it's not too hard to believe. I'd be interested to see whether they take into account the quality/prestige of the employment, or if it just based on employment itself.

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 02:47:31 PM »
These rankings are based on self-reported information from students at each school.  So it's not that NU grads have better job placement, it's that when asked, they give higher scores to how they feel about job placement than do HLS students.  Same goes for the other PR rankings. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 02:59:43 PM »
These rankings are based on self-reported information from students at each school.  So it's not that NU grads have better job placement, it's that when asked, they give higher scores to how they feel about job placement than do HLS students.  Same goes for the other PR rankings. 

I don't think that's true, actually. That is incorporated into the ranking, but they are primarily based on concrete #'s according to the book (which I own). I bet the methodology could be found on the net

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 03:04:52 PM »

I don't think that's true, actually. That is incorporated into the ranking, but they are primarily based on concrete #'s according to the book (which I own). I bet the methodology could be found on the net

Some rankings, like the Academic Experience ranking, are based on ratings that (presumably) are provided by the students themselves.  For example, with the Academic Experience ranking, it says the rankings are based on the Academic Experience Rating, but doesn't say anything else.  It's possible that rating incorporates other metrics, but they don't specify either way.
Yale.Law.School.2010

halluv

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 03:20:22 PM »
Thanks for the link! Whatever those rankings are based on, they make me feel preetty good about UVA..:)