Law School Discussion

Why did you choose HLS over YLS?

Why did you choose HLS over YLS?
« on: January 20, 2007, 05:54:53 PM »
Or why would you?

Here in New Haven, we only hear terrible things about HLS.  Just interested in another perspective.

Omaha8

• View Profile
Re: Why did you choose HLS over YLS?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 06:17:02 PM »
I'm married and HLS has more favorable LIPP vs. Yalle for two-income families.  Also, more classes=more flexible schedule, which is important for commuters with fams.

Denny Crane

• Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 10:04:24 PM »
tag

And can I ask what some of the bad things you hear in New Haven about HLS, aside from those things fueled by the H/Y rivalry?

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 10:49:39 PM »
Many prefer Cambridge over New Haven. Some prefer H's larger size as opposed to Y's smaller class. It's nice to have access to resources like business classes or even the potential of a worthwhile joint degree, if so desired. Also, even though in the legal community Y arguably has an edge (at least in terms of admissions prestige), the H brand means a lot more internationally (I know a lot of internationals who don't even bother to apply to Y) as well as among those not quite as closely connected to the legal field in the US (e.g., if you wanted to do something down the road outside of law).

I'm not saying H is what one should prefer, just that I see a lot of reasons why I'd have a very tough decision to make if I heard good news from Y. That having been said, I know many would have trouble turning Y down simply because it is Y.

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 11:10:53 PM »
More profs in my area of interest, the Berkman Center, Cambridge > New Haven, and my fiancee wanted to go to Tufts, so it made sense.

cassise

• To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 02:55:18 AM »
Bass, what is your area of interest?

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 07:58:32 AM »
Bass, what is your area of interest?

Internet law and IP stuff.  Yale has Benkler and Balkin (who has a broader interest), but HLS has Fisher, Zittrain, Nesson, Palfrey, and the entire Berkman center (including brilliant non-profs such as Ethan Zuckerman, etc.).

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 08:12:21 AM »
tag

And can I ask what some of the bad things you hear in New Haven about HLS, aside from those things fueled by the H/Y rivalry?

Honestly, none of them are even substantive.  I know a number of YLS students and they are so arrogant.  They scoff at HLS and conceive of it as full of Yale rejects who are desperately jealous of Yale students (like the way people sometimes characterize the Chicago-Harvard relationship).  When they hear you've gotten into to HLS they say "Oh, well, that's a good sign.  It means you have a chance at Yale."  Obviously, this is not all of the YLS students, but it does seem to be many.  They have let themselves be convinced that YLS can see past numbers, past personal statements, even past soft factors, look deep into applicants' souls, and pick the inherently worthy ones.  They ACTUALLY believe that.

Thanks for the responses.  Any further info is deeply appreciated,

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 08:27:22 AM »
tag

Honestly, none of them are even substantive.  I know a number of YLS students and they are so arrogant.  They scoff at HLS and conceive of it as full of Yale rejects who are desperately jealous of Yale students (like the way people sometimes characterize the Chicago-Harvard relationship).  When they hear you've gotten into to HLS they say "Oh, well, that's a good sign.  It means you have a chance at Yale."  Obviously, this is not all of the YLS students, but it does seem to be many.  They have let themselves be convinced that YLS can see past numbers, past personal statements, even past soft factors, look deep into applicants' souls, and pick the inherently worthy ones.  They ACTUALLY believe that.

Thanks for the responses.  Any further info is deeply appreciated,

This is sad, but untrue of pretty much all Yale students I know (which is good).

There are good reasons to put down HLS from YLS.  Only about 35 people turn down YLS each year, and not all of these are at HLS (many at SLS I'm sure, others not in law school).  That probably means that no more than 20 people choose HLS over YLS every year.  That's something.  On the other hand, the vast majority (say, 175?) of Yale students will have chosen YLS over HLS.

Also, YLS is supposedly (though this is tricky) less competitive because of its grading system and the even more definite career prospects.

Harvard Law Review is very difficult to get onto (40 spots, 560 1Ls), so YLS gives you much better odds of being on the flagship journal (though HLR is probably universally thought to be better than YLJ).

HLS, based on its size, could be criticized for a lack of "community."  By the end of 1L, most YLS-ers can know the entire 1L class or close to it. I doubt anyone here does.

YLS makes it much easier for its average students to get great clerkships (2nd, 9th, DC, etc.).  On the other hand, the best students at HLS (Sears Prize, Law Review, etc.) often have the very best opportunities, since they are more easily identifiable than the best at YLS.

I guess YLS could make fun of HLS for thinking that Cambridge is a worthwhile city.  YLS doesn't have such delusions, but it is close enough to NYC.

etc.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 08:53:02 AM »
Just to clarify, I know a several YLS students are very down-to-earth and not arrogant in the way I described.  I certainly didn't mean to suggest that such a characterization applied to everyone.