Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Neck Cramps & Fatigue  (Read 750 times)

ExpLo

• View Profile
    • Email
Neck Cramps & Fatigue
« on: January 20, 2007, 01:00:26 AM »
Hello everybody, I have a question for all my fellow LSATers out there.  When I'm taking the LSAT, by the time I get to the 3rd or 4th section I start to get neck cramps and back aches.  This probably stems from the fact that I have a very bad lower back, but I'm sure everybody experiences some sort of physical fatigue at some level.  This physical discomfort distracts me from the big task at hand (the LSAT).  Has anybody ever experienced this and overcame it?  If so, what did you do?  Any help is appreciated!   :) 

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Neck Cramps & Fatigue
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 01:08:50 AM »
Hello everybody, I have a question for all my fellow LSATers out there.  When I'm taking the LSAT, by the time I get to the 3rd or 4th section I start to get neck cramps and back aches.  This probably stems from the fact that I have a very bad lower back, but I'm sure everybody experiences some sort of physical fatigue at some level.  This physical discomfort distracts me from the big task at hand (the LSAT).  Has anybody ever experienced this and overcame it?  If so, what did you do?  Any help is appreciated!   :) 

Start getting up earlier, like around 5:30 AM. Walk groggily to your refrigerator, crack six raw eggs in a glass, and drink them. Throw on a few shirts, a snow hat, and jog. At first, you'll probably get a stitch in your side, but don't worry, it'll go away as time goes by. Amazingly, you'll find that it seems like a few months passes in a few minutes. Also, you'll be accompanied by inspirational training music wherever you go. Life weights, jump rope, hit the bag, and you'll beat Apollo, I just know it!
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

jimfoolery

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bo knows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 02:19:53 AM »

Holy hell!  The same exact thing happened to me, really.  I also have a bad back and neck, and leaning over the desk for practice LSATs exacerbated my neck pain to the point where I got naseous and had to lie down.  I took the Sept. test totally doped on painkillers, hoping adrenaline would carry me through it, but I bombed and had to cancel.

The doctor I went to told me my neck was probably pre-arthritic, whatever that means.  I don't really trust his diagnosis, though, since he's only a university health center goon, and also b/c he told me to do these archaic neck stretches that made the most disgusting grinding and popping sounds.  Frankly, I need some better insurance so I can go to a real doctor soon, but that's neither here nor there. 

For December I decided to take the test "clean," if you will, so in the weeks leading up to it I took practice tests leaning back in the couch w/ the test booklet propped on my lap, just circling the answer choices instead of using an answer sheet.  A couple days before the test I did a logic games section sitting upright, just to get comfortable bubbling on an answer sheet again, but that was it.

On test day it still hurt, but not so much that it blocked out my clearer thoughts.  It was pretty bad by the last section (I actually missed more than half my questions on that LR section), so prepare yourself to suffer a bit. 

Other things that help are pushing the test booklet as far forward on the desk as possible to make the neck angle less severe, and also propping your head in your hands when you are reading LR stimuli. 

If your condition is the same as mine, the bad news is that it doesn't get better very quickly with rest, so don't expect it to heal itself without major changes to your practice-testing habits.
 Good luck.  PM me about it any time.

Werewolf bar mitzvah, spooky, scary,
Boys becoming men, men becoming wolves!

shaneika

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 10:22:42 AM »
i became increasingly tense during the exam. And my back and neck hurt like crap. It took about 3 days to loosen up plus it was cold at our test site. We were all blowing our hands and sniffling by the time break came. I wore my coat the whole time.  Next time I am going to put one of those icy hot patches that stretch on my upper neck and back to keep the heat on it to loosen the joints. I may smell like ben gay but at least I wont hurt.

bubDread

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 01:30:44 PM »
do lots of squats

the more weight the better.

polaris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 09:11:03 PM »
I feel your pain, believe me. I don't have such a great back either, and it always gives me trouble under times of intense stress/strain. It might feel awkward at first, but maintaining good posture is going to help you the most-- during the test.

Outside of testing conditions, stretch  your back, legs and neck before bed and after waking up. Also, I found that massaging my neck while doing reading comp was rather helpful than not. This might be distracting to you, I don't know. Also, try bending your head back from time to time, as it is usually inclined too forward, thus causing neck and shoulder strain. I really hope that helps! I coddled my back and neck for weeks before the actual test and it surprisingly didn't bother me much on D-Day. :)

jimfoolery

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bo knows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 09:35:34 PM »
So my subconscious doesn't want to go to law school?  Greeeat.
Werewolf bar mitzvah, spooky, scary,
Boys becoming men, men becoming wolves!

MisterManager

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 10:13:57 PM »
i dont know if it would work...but why not try one of those sports, icy hot type pads that shaq advertises on tv while taking a prep test?
Someone help me out with the actual brand name...
I always keep it real and i call no man mister.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 01:26:19 PM »
I always get diarrhea by the 3rd or 4th section.  I don't know why.  It's only when taking the LSAT.  I'm practicing either holding it in but am having problems.  The alternative is that I am going to train myself to let out a little at a time to relieve my system without having to go to the bathroom or making my pants TOO messy. 
_______
.|E|R|S.

isittomorrowyet

• A man and his dead horse
    • AOL Instant Messenger - GlueIsRealGood
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 03:03:28 PM »

Why don't you use one of those portable heating pad things?