Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: If I had gone straight from UG to LS, I never would have...  (Read 1921 times)

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
If I had gone straight from UG to LS, I never would have...
« on: January 20, 2007, 12:17:46 AM »
Hello all.  This is my first post on the "Non-Traditional" students board.  Although I'll be in my mid-twenties when I start law school next fall, I will be transitioning from a four-year "career" in another field.  I was thinking about what it'll be like to leave the working world and enter the academia again, and all these great memories from the past four years started to flood my mind.  People I've met, places I've gone, skills I've built, rough edges I've smoothed, and the list could go on.  So I'm interested to hear from all the other non-traditionals on the board -- how would you finish the following sentence?

If I had gone straight from undergrad to law school, I never would have...
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

halluv

Re: If I had gone straight from UG to LS, I never would have...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 12:50:02 AM »
tag to find out what I'm missing..:)

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 08:33:12 AM »
gone on my second date with my now husband to Estonia.  I was going on a business trip and invited him along!  Ten days in Eastern Europe as your second date makes or breaks your relationship!

Michigan Law Class of 2010

Red Bull Imperator

• Sr. Citizen
  • Redbull sceptrum orbis terrarum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 08:36:55 AM »
gone on my second date with my now husband to Estonia.  I was going on a business trip and invited him along!  Ten days in Eastern Europe as your second date makes or breaks your relationship!

Estonia is really cool. I loved Tallinn.
LSAC Report:      $12
LSAT:             $120
Getting accepted: Priceless

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 09:13:13 AM »

Me too. :)  That's where we mostly were, though we did do a day trip to Tartu with an overnight at a "tourist farm" out in the country.  And we went down into a sand mine, which was very cool.  This was where they mined special high quality sand to make glass.

Red Bull Imperator

• Sr. Citizen
  • Redbull sceptrum orbis terrarum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 09:23:49 AM »

Me too. :)  That's where we mostly were, though we did do a day trip to Tartu with an overnight at a "tourist farm" out in the country.  And we went down into a sand mine, which was very cool.  This was where they mined special high quality sand to make glass.

I did not get to see that. We only stayed in Tallinn -- it was part of our Baltics states trip... Tallinn, Riga, Vilnius, and then Warsaw and Krakow.

I highly recommend this route.  :)
LSAC Report:      $12
LSAT:             $120
Getting accepted: Priceless

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2007, 09:39:44 AM »

I did not get to see that. We only stayed in Tallinn -- it was part of our Baltics states trip... Tallinn, Riga, Vilnius, and then Warsaw and Krakow.

I highly recommend this route.  :)

I spent one night in Riga, which is *beautiful*. :)  And I've been through Vilnius on my way from Minsk to Riga, but haven't really seen it.

Here is my collection of places I've gotten to work or visit for work, so... yeah, my years in between college and law school have been good :)  :

Kyiv
Minsk
Moscow
St. Petersburg
Tallinn
Tartu
Riga
Helsinki
Stockholm
Dallas
Orlando
Atlanta
Chicago
DC

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 11:06:51 AM »
I never would have had the drive to do it successfully. In the past 4 years circumstances have pushed me into a level of self-motivation that I don't think I would have otherwise achieved.

Seconded. 

The life experiences in between are way too many to list here, but let's just say that I wouldn't change a thing.  Other than maybe slacking quite so much in undergrad.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 11:27:18 AM »
I never would have had the drive to do it successfully. In the past 4 years circumstances have pushed me into a level of self-motivation that I don't think I would have otherwise achieved.

Seconded. 

The life experiences in between are way too many to list here, but let's just say that I wouldn't change a thing.  Other than maybe slacking quite so much in undergrad.

Yeah, I agree.  I know myself much better now, in terms of what I want professionally, because I've had a lot of professional experiences, both positive and negative, to help shape that vision.  And I also understand my particular strengths much better, rather than just being generally good at school.

And the drive is really important.  I probably would have kept on coasting through law school, just like I did in undergrad.  But now I will truly do my best.

Para Legal

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Pipers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 11:32:06 AM »
gotten married

had my beautiful daughter

owned a house

learned life's lessons

been stuck in my hometown for 8 years

known what i truly wanted

gotten a lot of worthwhile work experience

learned as much as i do about collision repair and insurance companies

been older, wiser, and more appreciative of what i have.

/meta

Cheers,

Para  ;)
Hamline University School of Law
1L