Law School Discussion

160 or better I need help

160 or better I need help
« on: January 19, 2007, 07:51:32 PM »
What is the deal here? I studied for a year, sadly enough I took the 12/06 LSAT and got a 143. I even took a course with princeton review and my score was worse after that then then before I went. How are you guys getting 160 and 180's . I cant figure this thing out. I took pretest after pretest. I sat down and tried to go over the questions and types and it is not clicking. I dont want to pay more money because that did not help . Are you all paying for tutoring , naturally smart? Combination. What is it? Please help. I would be happy with a 155. I just need some guidance here. Thanks to all who respond in advance.

Re: 160 or better I need help
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 07:58:27 PM »
It sounds like you're hard working and serious about the lsat, so i think your problem is not lazyness or not studying enough, but efficiency- studying using the right methods. It seems that PR techniques are just not working for you and you need to revise your strategy. Buy the following books: LG bible and LR bible and learn those methods. Make sure you use those exact methods at least for a while until you're comfortable to innovate them and make them fit your style better. Dont waste your time taking prep tests at this point. Just do questions and master the question types/ game types. Trust me you can do it. I started out with a 153 and got a 171 on the real deal. So you can do it too.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 08:01:37 PM »
Great advice and encouragement LoneWolf  :) :) . I needed that !! I will do as you have said. Thanks

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 08:04:35 PM »
yes. i agee with lonewolf on this.
first and foremost, it is ineffective to take practice tests without
having a firm grasp of fundamental logics behind the test.
Go over the strategies once again...and review both correct and incorrect answers..
you can do it.

ABMOC

• I'm nice, I'm just not promoted right.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 08:22:15 PM »
It sounds like you're hard working and serious about the lsat, so i think your problem is not lazyness or not studying enough, but efficiency- studying using the right methods. It seems that PR techniques are just not working for you and you need to revise your strategy. Buy the following books: LG bible and LR bible and learn those methods. Make sure you use those exact methods at least for a while until you're comfortable to innovate them and make them fit your style better. Dont waste your time taking prep tests at this point. Just do questions and master the question types/ game types. Trust me you can do it. I started out with a 153 and got a 171 on the real deal. So you can do it too.

This is dead on.  With PR a few years ago, I ended up scoring in the 140s.  Their techniques did not work for me either; however, if you get the two bibles, the test will make a lot more sense to you.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 08:48:56 PM »
PR did absolutely nothing for me either.  I went from a mid 150 score to mid 160s by buying the Powerscore bibles, etc.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 11:20:13 PM »

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 07:43:08 AM »
Can you give some more details on your study methods?
Answer these questions and I (and others) will try to figure out how to get those problems clicking for you. Ok I am answering as honestly as I can. I don't know anyone who has taken this test and been successful at it, hence the fact there was no one around me to give sound advice. I went to the admissions counselor at the school to see if there was a 3L that could tutor or help me for pay and they wouldnt let me post anything on the schools board. yadda yadda. So I tried to figure it out on my own until I went to the class. I never knew how to even approach the test. So my answers below reflect that. I just gave it my best shot. :-\ hence also for the post here because i am looking for someone smarter than me to tell me how to approach this test

Over the course of the year, how many preptests did you go over?I went over at least 9

When you took preptest after preptest, did you actually go over every single question you got wrong in a preptest before going to the next preptest? The answer  to that is no. I went over only those i got wrong. I dont even know how I got the ones right that I got right.but i went on to the next preptest i guess hoping I would do better next time.
How much time did you spend analyzing each preptest after you took it? 2 hours

How exactly did you go over the questions?  Did you just read the PR solutions and accept their explanations or did you try to prove to yourself that the correct answer was indeed correct and the incorrect answer was indeed incorrect? I actually accepted their answers as correct and I tried to reason why their answers  were correct but I could not figure how they get one answer and I got another. The correct arrival at the reasoning was illusive to me. The explanations the books gave made no sense but they made it look easy so i got discouraged because I felt like if it is so easy to figure out then I must be dumb or something

Did you sit down for hours on end and work out every single question you were not sure about until you understood how to get the credited response? Got too frustrated. I went over the ones I got wrong spending about 10 minutes a piece. Reading and trying to figure out the method. On some, the cr was obvious and I misread but some times I said forget it and skipped it.

Did you go over the problems that you had missed in your previous preptests to make sure you didn't make the same mistakes? There are some areas I am more weak in than others so i concentrated on those areas. ie. complex LG,

Did you try doing preptests without a time limit to see what your raw score would be in that situation? I took everything timed online I did some untimed tests but never scored those .

Is the problem mainly a time issue or do you just get a large number of questions wrong?
I always run out of time on RC and this used to be my best section. The others I just mess up. My strongest section is games. My worst is LR
purple[/color]]I have trouble with questions that ask me to .
find the flaw ,weaken an argument or on which does this argument depend ,or the reasoning is flawed because it fails to consider the possibility that.[/color]In RC: which of these would clearly undermine the conclusion, the word" " in line 36 most closely conveys what in the passage., what can be inferred from the info in the passage. Which one of the following is most analogous to the one introd'in the second sentance of the passage

hope this answers your questions :-\ based on your questions I can already see things I need to change. Thank you

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 08:39:21 AM »
Can you give some more details on your study methods?
Answer these questions and I (and others) will try to figure out how to get those problems clicking for you. Ok I am answering as honestly as I can. I don't know anyone who has taken this test and been successful at it, hence the fact there was no one around me to give sound advice. I went to the admissions counselor at the school to see if there was a 3L that could tutor or help me for pay and they wouldnt let me post anything on the schools board. yadda yadda. So I tried to figure it out on my own until I went to the class. I never knew how to even approach the test. So my answers below reflect that. I just gave it my best shot. :-\ hence also for the post here because i am looking for someone smarter than me to tell me how to approach this test

Over the course of the year, how many preptests did you go over?I went over at least 9

When you took preptest after preptest, did you actually go over every single question you got wrong in a preptest before going to the next preptest? The answer  to that is no. I went over only those i got wrong. I dont even know how I got the ones right that I got right.but i went on to the next preptest i guess hoping I would do better next time.
How much time did you spend analyzing each preptest after you took it? 2 hours

How exactly did you go over the questions?  Did you just read the PR solutions and accept their explanations or did you try to prove to yourself that the correct answer was indeed correct and the incorrect answer was indeed incorrect? I actually accepted their answers as correct and I tried to reason why their answers  were correct but I could not figure how they get one answer and I got another. The correct arrival at the reasoning was illusive to me. The explanations the books gave made no sense but they made it look easy so i got discouraged because I felt like if it is so easy to figure out then I must be dumb or something

Did you sit down for hours on end and work out every single question you were not sure about until you understood how to get the credited response? Got too frustrated. I went over the ones I got wrong spending about 10 minutes a piece. Reading and trying to figure out the method. On some, the cr was obvious and I misread but some times I said forget it and skipped it.

Did you go over the problems that you had missed in your previous preptests to make sure you didn't make the same mistakes? There are some areas I am more weak in than others so i concentrated on those areas. ie. complex LG,

Did you try doing preptests without a time limit to see what your raw score would be in that situation? I took everything timed online I did some untimed tests but never scored those .

Is the problem mainly a time issue or do you just get a large number of questions wrong?
I always run out of time on RC and this used to be my best section. The others I just mess up. My strongest section is games. My worst is LR
purple[/color]]I have trouble with questions that ask me to .
find the flaw ,weaken an argument or on which does this argument depend ,or the reasoning is flawed because it fails to consider the possibility that.[/color]In RC: which of these would clearly undermine the conclusion, the word" " in line 36 most closely conveys what in the passage., what can be inferred from the info in the passage. Which one of the following is most analogous to the one introd'in the second sentance of the passage

hope this answers your questions :-\ based on your questions I can already see things I need to change. Thank you

I have a friend with the same Dilemma. She actually had a private tutor all summer, but couldn't break 150. I couldn't see why, this was definitely a clever enough person who makes pretty good grades and goes to a good school. I know it's not for lack of ability. 

If you are having trouble understanding why the wrong answer isn't right, try a book like the Official Lsat SuperPrep. It has three practice tests in it and for every single question it explains why each answer choice was wrong and why the right one was right.

Then come join me for the June LSAT!

barenakedtjm

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 08:52:38 AM »
Reading about everyone's improvement makes me sick to my stomach...  I got a 163 without taking a prep course or reading any of those books, just took two practice tests (first untimed, then timed) and felt good about my scores, so I didn't bother because I figured studying would only help me if I was in the 150s.

I wish I had known about this board before then...  then I would have known that I could have lifted my own score.