Law School Discussion

Pepperdine Mission Statement....ehh...

Pepperdine Mission Statement....ehh...
« on: January 19, 2007, 02:26:32 PM »
So...Pepperdine needs you to submit a Mission Statement response as well as a Personal Statement.  Has anyone applied here and have any idea what to write and how long it should be?  This is really annoying me b/c Pepperdine is one of my safety schools but I don't want to screw this up and make get denied b/c I screwed up the Mission Statement response...
-"Really Annoyed w/ Pepperdine"

Jessy

Re: Pepperdine Mission Statement....ehh...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 02:29:48 PM »
I ended up writing about a page (double spaced), and I mainly wrote about ethics (I sort of ignored the religious aspects of the mission statement). hth

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 03:02:54 PM »
I ended up not applying because of it. Well mostly more because through LSD and some subsequent research I discovered how conservative Pepperdine was and that is not a good fit for me.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 08:53:36 PM »
I focused on the service and leadership aspects of the mission statement. I'm not religious so I didn't feel super comfortable addresing the "Pepperdine is a Christian University..." part of the mission. My response was just over a page double-spaced and only took me an hour or so to write. Hope this helps. Best of luck!

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 02:22:42 AM »
what did you talk about?  what those things meant to you or examples of you exemplifying those characteristics...?  THanks for the help!

LBChic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2007, 05:48:18 PM »
I'm writing about half a page, also ignoring the religious aspect of the mission statement. I don't have high hopes for admission since I am borderline on numbers and have anti-soft factors as far as Pepperdine is probably concerned (a liberal godless heathen with many Democratic campaigns on my record). I toyed with not even applying b.c. I have such misgivings about the pervasion of religion but... I'd still consider going if I got in. Still, it's a b*tch to write this thing..

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 02:08:51 PM »
My application was ready to go until I saw the mission statement.  I'm all about morals, but I thought that was a bit much.

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2007, 03:17:55 PM »
It isn't so much about morals or being a right wing conservative as it is demonstrating that you are an ethical person.

In my mission response, I discussed my history of volunteerism, and how my interest in community service comes from the influence of my family.

Basically, just demonstrate that you're not a cold-hearted Grinch and that you give back in some way. Whether or not you are religious, Christian, Jew, Republican, Democrat, black, white or Buddhist, just identify what makes you a good person. Pepperdine is based on religious ideals, but so are Loyola, Georgetown, Catholic, Cardozo, etc., and they are all looking to recruit a diverse class that includes people of all faiths and lifestyles. If you look at last year's LSD "Class," you'll see a few people who opted to go to Pepperdine that are not the cookie-cutter, NRA-card carrying Reagan Fan Club types. There were quite a few mohawk-wearing, tree-hugging Hippie lovers, too.

Ok, so those are two exaggerated extremes, but Pepperdine isn't Bob Jones University, so don't freak out so much. I actually met a Pepp. Law prof. at an event a few months back-- he was an ultra liberal and shared some insights about the school. The university and the law school preach Judeo-Christian ideals, but it isn't with the intent to turn you into a Christ-recruiting salesman. There are a diversity of ideas and points of view expressed by the students and faculty and all respect one another's differences and grow from the diverse student body represented there.

Write 3/4-1 page about what makes you a good person. Show, don't tell, and provide some examples or a good personal story about ethics or service. It's just a writing exercise.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2007, 10:22:25 AM »
After writing my reply here, I thought maybe I should have sent in my application since what I saw of the school, I loved.  Although, I'm not even sure I'd get in.  Maybe I'll still send it off since I can certainly align myself with the ethical part.

I was a little afraid of the religious influence at the school, seeing as I am the least religious person I know.  I read a few threads on here that kind of turned me off.

Any idea if an underage drinking infraction will automatically get you dinged considering their attitude towards alcohol?

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2007, 10:29:24 AM »
I'd address it in an addendum and discuss what you learned from it. If you've reformed your ways (not to say you can't drink EVER!), but what you learned by breaking the law, I'd think it was tactful on your part (one: you need to disclose the event, and two: you learned a valuable life lesson from it). Who knows-- maybe that is your mission response, as well as a one paragraph addendum.

I can't say whether or not you'll be dinged for a youthful indiscretion, but it isn't like you have a drug trafficking record on your rap sheet. ;) Let's face it -- 99.99% of Americans drink underage-- it is just the ones who get caught that are looked at as criminal. I'm not advocating it, but remember that the US is one of just four countries in the world with a drinking age of 21 (the rest are 18).

If you like the school, don't stop your past or your numbers from at least pursuing the opportunity. The worst that can happen is that they say no.