Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help with school choices  (Read 1118 times)

ljg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Help with school choices
« on: January 19, 2007, 01:24:29 PM »
Hi all,

I've been reading this board for a while, but this is my first post. LSDers seem to be a pretty helpful bunch, and I could really use some help narrowing down the final list of schools I'm choosing between.

I'm in the incredibly lucky situation of being admitted to the following schools:

Northwestern
Duke, with $60,000 over three years
GW, with $120,000 over three years plus free 1L housing
Georgetown
BC
BU
Penn
Michigan
Chicago
NYU

I am waiting to hear back from UVA and Columbia, and am on hold at Harvard. Stats, for those that are interested, are 3.87 and 169.

Which school would you pick, and why? Any that you would cross off? Obviously I will be thrilled with whichever school I end up picking, but am having a hard time narrowing it down right now.

Thanks!!

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Help with school choices
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 01:36:50 PM »
Wow, you are lucky.

Can you tell us more about your preferences though?

If you want to be in a big city UMich and Duke are out.

If you want to go into academia or clerk for SCOTUS you need to go to the highest ranked school you get into.

etc.

We need to know more about you to help you, in other words.

PS,  >:(

ljg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 01:41:47 PM »
Sorry, should have done that from the start...

I was born and raised in Boston, and went to undergrad here as well. I love this city, and would be happy to stay- all my family is here, as is my boyfriend of 6 years. He doesn't have the option of moving with me, but we've done long distance before (I was in Spain for a year in college) and it worked out fine.

In an ideal world, I would go into immigration law after law school. I've worked with immigrants for years, and love it. However, I also wouldn't rule out biglaw. I work at one of the largest Boston law firms right now doing private equity and fund formation work, and love my job. The partners I work with have already talked about bringing me back summer after 1L to work, which would be great (especially for the money!).

As for location....I guess I could go either way. My university was outside of the city, so I'm used to living in a college town. I also wouldn't mind being somewhere where no car is required- I lived in Madrid for a year, and loved being right in the heart of the city.

I'm not sure how much this helps...but either way, I would love some opinions, especially on the money vs. rank issue.

Dr. Miles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 01:47:16 PM »
is the duke scholarship conditional? if so, that should factor into your decision.

in this case i think if comes down to where you want to live/practice. if nyc/chicago/west coast, then go to nyu or uc. if the south, then i say go to duke (but maybe not if you have to maintian top 1/3 or something).

ljg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 01:51:12 PM »
The Duke scholarship was not conditional- no GPA requirements, etc. to keep it.

Right now I think I want to come back to Boston to practice, but life is full of uncertainties. I don't want to choose a school just based on coming back to Boston, especially because I already have lots of good contacts at big law firms. It's possible my boyfriend will move to wherever I am after a year, depending on job opportunities (he's a fund accountant), and if that happens there is less of a need to move back to Boston.

I know I'm being annoying in not having any firm answers....

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 01:57:26 PM »
You would have a pretty easy time getting into the Boston market from any of those schools, with the likely exception of GW.

Many schools have yet to give out scholarship money so it's hard to say for sure but I guess my first pick for you would be Duke. The scholarship coupled with lower COL would make for a fairly affordable experience. After that I guess I would say NYU.

You really don't have a preference?

ljg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 02:06:50 PM »
No, not really...

NYU, Michigan, Penn and Chicago are all enticing. I need to get out and visit them to get that "gut feeling", and know if they're right for me...

It's hard to have a top choice since I don't have more than a vague idea of what I want to do after law school!!

I'm off to the airport....but keep the advice coming!

ljg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 02:08:30 PM »
FYI, the "no, not really" was in response to Zamora's question about really not having a first choice.

Meiji, you really think cross off Penn? Why?

mrk

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 02:11:40 PM »
First, congratualtions, those are all awesome acceptances.  ;D

I would say NYU would be the best choice because
1- you are not sure what you want to so once you are done with school, and NYU probably opens enough doors to where you could do what you wanted to once you were done with school.
2- It is (geographically) closer to Boston than most of the other top-ranked schools you got into.

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 02:15:29 PM »

2- It is (geographically) closer to Boston than most of the other top-ranked schools you got into.

To clarify: That is why I was thinking maybe NYU as well. UChicago is obviously pretty rockin', but NYU might be a little easier in terms of the long distance thing.

Luckily for you there's really no wrong choice.