Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ITT We talk about how excited we are to be probably going to BC  (Read 12422 times)

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
Re: ITT We talk about how excited we are to be probably going to BC
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2007, 11:45:02 AM »
On the whole gym issue, I haven't heard rave reviews about the facilities at the 'Plex (Main Campus) or the Quonset Hut (Newton Campus). I signed up for a student membership ($45/mth, $100 signup fee) at the YMCA in Newton (http://www.ymcainnewton.org/) which has excellent facilities (i.e. - $2M renovation recently completed, cardio machines with flat screens and dvd players, etc.) and was within walking distance of my apartment.

Some other students living in Brighton opted for the Oak Square location (http://www.ymcaboston.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.viewPage&pageID=563&nodeID=7).

There are more expensive options out there (i.e. - Boston Sports Club), but I've only heard about folks going to the Y or the Plex.

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2007, 02:55:53 PM »
The Macbook i'm considering won't be allowed for exams at BC. Damn it!
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2007, 03:17:59 PM »

yeah that is bumming me out I want a new comp for LS and would like a mac.  I guess I could use my UG pc but after 4 years this thing is looking pretty rough.  maybe they will update the software?
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2007, 03:26:35 PM »

yeah that is bumming me out I want a new comp for LS and would like a mac.  I guess I could use my UG pc but after 4 years this thing is looking pretty rough.  maybe they will update the software?

not gonna take that chance. I'm gonna have to go with a thinkpad or a dell.

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2007, 04:12:12 PM »
On the mac question: When I had my BC tour my guides said that BC has some laptops they lend/rent out to students who have macs. (I can't remember if she said they charged you for it or not). On the one hand you will be working on a different computer than you are used to; on the other hand you would only need it for exams where all but one program is locked anyway.

I am wondering if they will change their policy next year given that there have been some advances in running windows on a mac within the last year. It used to be that you ran windows and OS whatever at the same time; now I think you can start in only windows and run bootcamp that way. So...maybe they will change their minds.

I am a mac person too; I think I would be happier with a mac than a PC but am waiting to buy a new computer until I know for sure where I'll end up and how they feel about macs.

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2007, 05:54:06 PM »
The Mac issue revolves around the software we take our exams on: ExamSoft. In the past, ExamSoft was strictly a PC-only application, but this year they added Mac support (regardless of Windows I believe). BC, like many law schools, is risk averse and decided against allowing students to take exams on Macs this year because of any potential bugs that might pop up and cause problems in the first year of widespread use. It also would have meant additional cost in the form of tech support for Macs in addition to PCs (IT people are running the halls on-call during exams in case a student's computer crashes).

Since I haven't heard of any big problems at other law schools from ExamSoft on Macs this past fall, I wouldn't be surprised if a number of schools revisited their policy for next year.

All of this said, I'm a Mac user at BC and have been able to get by fine. In another thread I laid out the three options for Mac users at BC during exams:

1) Have a PC on Standby: I borrowed my wife's old computer for exams. Other folks snatched cpu's from friends, roommates, or family. A fair number also just kept their undergrad PC and upgraded to a Mac for law school.

2) Rent a Laptop from the School: The reported cost for picking up a laptop for the exam period was $200/semester. It was a little hair-raising for some folks when they had to pick up the laptop on the day of the exam, and in some cases, were almost late to the exam after waiting in line.

3) Signup for a Computer in the Library Lab: Students have the option at no charge of signing up for a desktop computer in the library's computer lab. There was plenty of space this past semester in the computer labs for students who wished to take their exam there. Some even preferred this atmosphere since there were less people around.

WeeSqueak

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2007, 06:20:29 PM »
I was accepted at BC and really like the school.  I think though to justify it to my family I would need to get a good scholarship -- $60,000 over three years or more.  Does BC give out this kind of money?  Has anyone gotten an award yet?

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2007, 07:53:29 PM »
just wanted to mention that the BC hockey team went to the finals of the Frozen Four (NCAA Ice Hockey Championship) last year. That team is good. And that if I attend one of my first items of business is to get a BC hockey jersey.

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2007, 08:28:36 PM »
I was accepted at BC and really like the school.  I think though to justify it to my family I would need to get a good scholarship -- $60,000 over three years or more.  Does BC give out this kind of money?  Has anyone gotten an award yet?

If you look at LSN last year, there are folks with merit scholarships in the $20k/yr range, but I don't think your numbers alone will get you there. More likely, on merit alone (if they take the 167 unaveraged) your could go $10-$15k/yr. I think the GW offer at $20k/yr will be a substantial bargaining chip and I wouldn't hesitate to raise it if you're dissatisfied with the initial financial aid package you're given.

Depending on your career ambitions, I'd also note that the school offers 2/3 tuition scholarships for their Public Interest Scholars: http://www.bc.edu/schools/law/admission/finaid/scholloans/#publicservicescholarship

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2007, 03:35:27 PM »
Got a letter from the dean and a BC Law magazine today.  I was hoping it would be some kind of money offer ... ohhhh well
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...