Law School Discussion

Where should I go for SoCAL?

Where should I go for SoCAL?
« on: January 18, 2007, 12:14:58 PM »
So far I have been accepted to a bunch of schools, but the ones I am only considering so far are: GTown (PT), Vanderbilt, Loyola LA (15k/yr scholarship). I am attending with my fiancee, but lets for a second assume she gets into the same schools. Which one do you think is the best option if I want to practice in Los Angles. Also assume I get into USC. How would that change what you guys feel? I would love to hear what you all think!

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: Where should I go for SoCAL?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 12:33:02 PM »
SC if you get in, otherwise probably GT.

TITCR ... though Vandy might not be a bad shot if you don't want to go PT.

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 02:23:30 PM »
yeah I guess it depends on your prestige preferences.  Vandy put 18.5% of their 2006 class in the west so it wouldn't be impossible.

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 03:23:18 PM »
So you both would pick GULC first if USC wasn't an option?

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 03:34:59 PM »
Yeah.  I guess maybe I'll retract my vandy statement ... I don't know a whole lot about Loyola (and am generally confused because there are like 8 schools with that same name) but I was looking at it and they have some legit stats.  If GULC is just too much money or too far away from home Loyola is still a great decision (and who wouldn't want to study on a campus designed by Frank Gehry?)  But LA is one of the top 4 legal markets and a lot of east coasters head there after graduation.  You would probably still have to be top 1/3 - top 1/4 to get biglaw.
What are your numbers like? do you have a shot at USC?  I would think so if you got into Vandy...

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 03:41:33 PM »
I am a 3.35/167 mex-american, and I got into Vandy (Which has almost identical numbers). So I'd assume I have a shot at USC. I'm pretty sure my fiancee will get in though 3.57/166 so I'm more worried about myself. Also I'm currious why both of you would choose Loyola over vanderbilt. Loyola is ranked 65 and Vanderbilt is ranked 17 (and is extremely solid at that rank). Maybe you could give me a bit more feedback on that.

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 03:55:40 PM »
ok so I don't want to sound like John Kerry here but I guess I would just be on the fence between Vandy and Loyola.  I'm a psudo prestige whore so I would take Vandy (plus I really like vandy lately and I think they are going to give Texas and UCLA a run for their money establishing themselves as the perennial #15.  But you are sure that you want to practice in Los Angeles so being at the 3rd best local school might still give you a better chance to get a job in LA.  I don't know what kind of career you are looking for but if you want a good firm job I would head over to the NALP directory and look at the larger firms in LA (you can search by city) and see where they recruit.  This is the stat sheet I have been looking at from Loyola http://intranet.lls.edu/careerservices/stats/employmentstats.pdf
First off, they have a 75% bar passage which kind of scares me, even though the Cali bar is one of the toughest.  between 1/4 and 1/5 of those who go into private practice went into 100+ person firms with a median salary of 125k.  Finally, only 54 people reported getting jobs through OCI.  I am not going to go dig up those stats form Vandy ... you probably have them in your acceptance materials (which I hope to have in hand very soon!) but I would assume that they are better with placement.  Personally I say Vandy but if you think you have what it takes to be top 10-20% and get that 150k job then feel free to stay in LA.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 06:36:02 PM »
If you want to work in Southern California, go to Loyola or USC. If you want to work back East, go to Vanderbilt.