Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Harvard vs. Fordham  (Read 1120 times)

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
Harvard vs. Fordham
« on: January 18, 2007, 12:34:35 PM »
here me out...i want to do entertainment law...intern at Sony BMI, MTV etc. legal and business affairs..maybe do an externship at volunteer lawyers for the arts or the viacom or cbs internship program...that type of deal...i've been accepted at Harvard and Fordham...im seriously considering forham i've done my research and they place well at big law (not what im interested in just sayin') are considered the 3rd best law school in NYC and people with better quals then me didn't get in....i haven't heard back from financial aid yet so i don't know what/if kind of money they are offering....harvard is basically going to be loans....for what i want to do how many more doors will harvard really open?...fordham is in NYC any kind of job i would want to take will be in NYC or LA which i would have to fly out to which ever one i go to...go
...man, you was who you was before you got here

prelaw200

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Harvard vs. Fordham
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 12:36:35 PM »
here me out...i want to do entertainment law...intern at Sony BMI, MTV etc. legal and business affairs..maybe do an externship at volunteer lawyers for the arts or the viacom or cbs internship program...that type of deal...i've been accepted at Harvard and Fordham...im seriously considering forham i've done my research and they place well at big law (not what im interested in just sayin') are considered the 3rd best law school in NYC and people with better quals then me didn't get in....i haven't heard back from financial aid yet so i don't know what/if kind of money they are offering....harvard is basically going to be loans....for what i want to do how many more doors will harvard really open?...fordham is in NYC any kind of job i would want to take will be in NYC or LA which i would have to fly out to which ever one i go to...go

If you got into Harvard you should be in at Columbia and NYU.  Go there.
Me Go Cornell

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 12:39:44 PM »
still waiting to hear from NYU but not optimistic (may consider a transfer)...didn't apply to Columbia

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 12:47:11 PM »
Jarhead be real.  If you go to HLS, there must be someone to find an avenue to  get to entertainment law.
Columbia 3L

jonstern

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 12:56:07 PM »
Ok, how did you get into harvard? You say people with better credentials than yours didnt get to Fordham, and you are not optimistic about NYU. Seriously, how did that happen?

Also, why in God's name didnt you apply to columbia.

At any rate - go to harvard. The name really matters

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 01:05:51 PM »
i know that there would be...i just dont put that much emphasis on a name...when you get out into the working world you are going to sink or swim on your hustle...i have a pretty good resume already...excellent work experience (going on 15 years of it)...military service...lots of connections etc....i know exactly what i want to do and how to get there...im not worried about my employment prospects..to be honest i don't necessarily care about having a harvard JD...im honored and a little shocked i got in and i appreciate what it means...but if i can get the same thing by going to fordham which is in a city i prefer and will cost me less...i dont have to go to harvard...

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 01:11:08 PM »
No comparison, go to Harvard.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 01:14:36 PM »
Ok, how did you get into harvard? You say people with better credentials than yours didnt get to Fordham, and you are not optimistic about NYU. Seriously, how did that happen?

Also, why in God's name didnt you apply to columbia.

At any rate - go to harvard. The name really matters

dude i got a 170 on the lsat...do you have any useful advice?

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 01:15:58 PM »
Dude, it sounds like you've made up your mind...
VIP.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 01:20:07 PM »
Fordham is notorious for not giving out much money, so I wouldn't count on a scholarship if I were you, especially if your numbers are not above their 75%iles.  Even though Fordham is in NYC, you have to be in top of your class to get a well-paying job because you'll be competing with grads from NYU, Columbia, and the rest of T14 (Harvard included) for a spot, and Harvard grads will have a much easier time regardless of their class rank because of Harvard's reputation, ranking, and prestige. 

not true about well paying job... fordham's average starting salaries are commensurate with the other 3 NYC law schools and it benefits you to be near the top of the class where ever you go...not counting on a scholarship...and have other offers i can negotiate if they dont give me enough money....fordham does very well in NYC and there are enough jobs to go around...please anybody with any practical experience...anybody who goes to school in NYC...or who has similar career interest i am interested in your input