Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L Survivor - Rutgers  (Read 345 times)

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
1L Survivor - Rutgers
« on: January 17, 2007, 05:53:05 PM »
Um...who else got this? 

Can you survive....
           law school?
1st challenge - College
2nd challenge - LSAT

Immunity challenge:  Rutgers Law for Life
Gain admission to Rutgers School of Law-Camden
Play to win at Rutgers
Check out our 1L Survivor Test
https://camlaw.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/admissions/quiz.cgi
You can get a free 1L Survivor t-shirt if you apply!

Um, this is a bit odd.  I think I'll stick with Bama and their free I-tunes. 
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
Re: 1L Survivor - Rutgers
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 05:55:40 PM »
I don't know, it seems pretty hip, in that "completely outdated pop culture reference" kind of way.
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 05:58:07 PM »
Well I'm trying to take the quiz, and I'm feeling quite stupid. 

Lyle Lovelace, a California resident attending college in California, visits his girlfriend Sally in New Jersey. While in New Jersey, they decide to go to a Fireworks display at Great Adventure. While traveling on the NJ Turnpike, Rick Reckless, a New Jersey resident (who had been drinking several beers with his college roommates at a beach party) hits Lyle's and Sally's automobile while traveling at speeds in excess of 95 miles per hour in a 65 mile per hour zone. Seriously injured, after a 2 week hospital confinement, Lyle is transported by airplane back to Los Angeles for rehabilitation. Lyle brings suit in federal court in the Central District of California against Rick. Rick has never visited California but really thinks it would be great to visit California and Disneyland for a few months. He shows up in Court and tells the judge that he wants to agree to the suit in California.
A) He cannot do this because a federal court has no power to refuse to hear a case between citizens of different states.
B) Rick cannot do this because the accident occurred in New Jersey and only a court in New Jersey has the power to hear the case.
C) Rick cannot do this because an individual can never waive personal jurisdiction.
D) Rick can do this and go and enjoy Disneyland.

Oh and I just braved the ice storm for $50 in wine and beer that I've just cracked open.  Lesson learned, don't drink and study law.

EDIT:  Correct answer...B.  The correct answer is Lyle cannot sue Rick in California because Rick does not have minimum contacts with that state, and fair play and substantial justice dictate that he cannot be sued against his will in California for a drinking and driving accident that occurred in New Jersey..

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 05:59:56 PM »
OH MY LORDY!!!

Another frightening question from their quiz...

Betty is a 12 year old bully in the junior high school for High Nella Park. She particularly enjoys teasing and threatening a timid little red-haired girl named Maureen. One day, the teacher gave each student a brand new, bright red pencil. Betty sharpened her pencil to a fine point and waived it at Maureen each morning saying ... "I'm going to get you my pretty.... hee hee, you just wait, I'm going to poke your eye right out!" Terrified for weeks, Maureen avoids Betty and her parents call Betty's parents who throw up their hands and say "she terrorizes everyone, including us!" Nothing happens and Maureen forgets about Betty. One year later, at a roller rink, Betty unexpectedly runs up to Maureen and jabs her in the eye with a blue pencil and says "I didn't forget!" In a CIVIL suit by Maureen against Betty and her parents:
a) Although a claim for battery should succeed, a claim for assault cannot succeed because Betty threatened Maureen with a red pencil and it is not reasonable for Maureen to have had any fear or apprehension of a blue pencil.
b) A claim for battery should succeed but a claim for assault may fail since it does not appear that Maureen had any fear or apprehension of the "unconsented to touching" at the time she was actually jabbed in the eye.
c) A minor is not responsible for her actions and her parents cannot be held responsible for their child under any circumstance.
d) Everyone knows the little red haired girl was mean to Charlie Brown and should be "jabbed" in her eye.

This stuff is creepy.

EDIT:  Correct answer:  A.  The correct answer is A claim for battery should succeed but a claim for assault may fail since it does not appear that Maureen had any fear or apprehension of the "unconsented to touching" at the time she was actually jabbed in the eye..

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 06:01:09 PM »
I'm going to guess B. Also, I would have respected them a lot more if they had used Linda Lovelace instead of Lyle. Deductions will be taken from those who need an explanation.

On a side note, why do we say "deductions will be taken"? Doesn't this semantically mean "bonuses will be added"?
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 06:01:41 PM »
I'm almost afraid to go on...

Three men, John, Phil and Timothy, are trapped alive inside a coal mine in Wyoming for 3 weeks without food or water. When they are finally rescued, it is discovered that three of the men drew straws and the short straw agreed that he would be killed by the other two men to be eaten as food and water. The two other men then killed the third, Timothy, and ate his flesh in order to survive. Expert witnesses agree that all three would have died if they had not killed Timothy. In a criminal suit in Wyoming for murder:
a) The doctrine of "survival of the fittest" mandates that the charges be dismissed.
b) Since it is clear that they all would have died if they had not taken this action, the doctrine of "necessity" justified the action and mandates dismissal of the charges.
c) "Kill" is not murder. Since Timothy consented to being killed; the other two men cannot be charged with murder.
d) You cannot willfully kill someone as "food" even if they consent to such act and you will starve to death if you don't kill that person.

I knew Jersey people scared me.

EDIT:  Correct answer:  The correct answer is You cannot willfully kill someone as "food" even if they consent to such act and you will starve to death if you don't kill that person..

ctg31

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 06:05:55 PM »
One year later, at a roller rink, Betty unexpectedly runs up to Maureen and jabs her in the eye with a blue pencil and says "I didn't forget!"

;D ;D ;D

wolfpack2

• Sr. Citizen
  • I should be reading cases....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 06:06:25 PM »
Yea I almost threw the post card away because I thought it was spam for a vacation or something haha. Then I read it....and threw it away.  I'd much rather have the Itunes...not that I applied there yet, but I might if there's a CD I HAVE to have ;).