Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Harvard vs. GW full ride  (Read 5489 times)

RiceLaw

• View Profile
Harvard vs. GW full ride
« on: January 17, 2007, 05:36:09 PM »
     I have a choice between a Harvard degree and being around 120k in debt vs. going to GW with free tuition and housing.  Any thoughts on this decision?  Thanks.

OConnorScribe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Harvard vs. GW full ride
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2007, 05:37:31 PM »
That's not a choice ... go to GW. You're in DC, and they're one of the best in several categories. I say that only because I'm thrifty, but either way, you're in a win-win situation.
Pace '10

prelaw200

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 05:41:42 PM »
     I have a choice between a Harvard degree and being around 120k in debt vs. going to GW with free tuition and housing.  Any thoughts on this decision?  Thanks.

Depends on how badly you crave prestige.  If its not a big deal, since you got accepted to Harvard and offered a full ride to GW (with housing which is probably another $10K) you are the type of person who will do very well at GW and have great opportunities upon leaving while saving over $150,000.  If you are willing to spend $150K for prestige then go to Harvard.
Me Go Cornell

RiceLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 06:09:28 PM »
Thanks for the thoughts.  Any one else?

thewanderer01

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 06:16:53 PM »
I think of it more as a question of what plans you have for the JD in the end. The value of the prestige is completely dependent upon your goals. If you're looking to become a public servant of some nature then it wouldn't really make sense to pay for Harvard. Just my .02 coming from a likely future prosecutor.
Rutgers - Newark Class of 2010

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 06:18:12 PM »
whoah now...granted you will be in debt if you go to harvard...but i think the prospects for starting salary coming out of harvard will make it more than worth it...for what its worth im in a similar dilemma i've been admitted to harvard but have scholarship offers from some lower ranked tier 1 schools...i haven't decided what im going to do either but for the kind of law i want to practice i do not need harvard...so depending on what you want to do...do you need harvard? i've been advised by several people that you should go to the best school you get into but then again some would say that the benefit of no debt at graduation is that if you get through 3 years of law school and decide you absolutely cannot abide big law you wont be forced to take it because you need the salary to pay off loans...also i'm not really worried about my ability to do well...may be a little arrogant...but as a non-trad law school will be like a break believe it or not...so if you have confidence that you can do well wherever you go which if you got into harvard is probably the case....than maybe GW for free is the way to go...i know i didn't give you a definitive answer but im practicing for my law exams  :)
...man, you was who you was before you got here

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2007, 06:20:37 PM »
Are you okay staying in DC? Because if your grades are at the median or below (and maybe even slightly above), look for little options outside of DC. In other words, is the $120k worth the added stress that will placed on your grades, if you are looking for geographic diversity? Also, what kind of work do you want to do? If it's high-profile business transactions or government work, Harvard is clearly the better choice. Harvard is also better if you have any inkling for academia or think you might. I'd go with Harvard, but I'd be so anxious at GW because grades would matter more, which would just make me unhappy.
Penn Law '09

HerculePoirot

• Sr. Citizen
  • One must seek the truth from within--not without
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 06:25:39 PM »
Go to Harvard!  It's going to feel good to brag about your prestigious degree in the real world.  Of course, you must back it up with substance.  Don't let anybody tell you it doesn't matter--it does. 

Heck, you could write a book and sell it just because you have a Harvard degree. Like that One-L book.  Believe me, if Scott Turow wrote about his first year at George Washington law school, nobody would give a hoot.  Going to Harvard makes you appear like an expert, and perception counts.

I'd go to Harvard.

StudentUVA

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 06:32:53 PM »
Harvard hands down. But I am a prestige whore so take my advice with a grain of salt.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 06:33:36 PM »
yeah i think all things considered you should go to harvard...im 95% sure thats where im going
...man, you was who you was before you got here