Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Women: Are you a height bigot?  (Read 12064 times)

ciao-a-bunga

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Women: Are you a height bigot?
« Reply #260 on: January 26, 2007, 05:26:24 PM »
I'm 5'7" (Dad 5'8", Mom 5'2") and have dated a girl who was just shorter than 5'10" in high school. Height was never an issue for either of us.

For the boobs vs height debate...I think the difference is that one is desired while the other is required. Most guys would like to date a girl with a nice C cup or bigger, but wouldn't hesitate about dating a girl with an A or B if she was attractive and everything else clicked. It's not so much about toting around a girl with big boobs in public for our social benefit, but more about the enjoyment of playing with big breasts when getting intimate. As for many taller women, it seems like they could meet an attractive, shorter guy where everything else clicked, yet choose not to date this guy merely because they will feel socially awkward in public being with him.

To make an analogy...big boobs for a guy is like shopping at a BMW dealership. You're there b/c you like the cars, and a factory model would more than suffice. However, if a rep would offer you nice rims, a sunroof, and a great sound system for the bare factory model price...you'd take it. For tall women and short men, it's like being offered a BMW at a discount, but turning it down b/c your hellbent on paying full price for a Range Rover.

I like this analogy, good work.

I don't!  Hmm... I wonder what goalie would say.

Also, Hank, I didn't see your reply until just now... and no, I think those measurements will suffice.  ;)

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 26, 2007, 05:34:59 PM »
I think women are like brilliant jewels. 

(no explanation)
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 26, 2007, 05:41:00 PM »
I'm 5'7" (Dad 5'8", Mom 5'2") and have dated a girl who was just shorter than 5'10" in high school. Height was never an issue for either of us.

For the boobs vs height debate...I think the difference is that one is desired while the other is required. Most guys would like to date a girl with a nice C cup or bigger, but wouldn't hesitate about dating a girl with an A or B if she was attractive and everything else clicked. It's not so much about toting around a girl with big boobs in public for our social benefit, but more about the enjoyment of playing with big breasts when getting intimate. As for many taller women, it seems like they could meet an attractive, shorter guy where everything else clicked, yet choose not to date this guy merely because they will feel socially awkward in public being with him.

To make an analogy...big boobs for a guy is like shopping at a BMW dealership. You're there b/c you like the cars, and a factory model would more than suffice. However, if a rep would offer you nice rims, a sunroof, and a great sound system for the bare factory model price...you'd take it. For tall women and short men, it's like being offered a BMW at a discount, but turning it down b/c your hellbent on paying full price for a Range Rover.

But it's not at all about feeling socially awkward in public.  I couldn't care less what anyone else thinks, and I really don't think anyone would think anything at all if I dated a guy my own height or a bit shorter.  It's a matter of simply not being physically attracted to guys who aren't significantly larger than me.  Because I like to feel smaller and feminine and, yeah, I guess protected.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

ciao-a-bunga

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 26, 2007, 05:43:13 PM »

Also, perhaps this is my own bias, but I think smaller boobs are highly underrated.  They can be very elegant, and... cute.

kirps

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why don't you burn in hell?
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #264 on: January 26, 2007, 05:43:49 PM »

Also, perhaps this is my own bias, but I think smaller boobs are highly underrated.  They can be very elegant, and... cute.

I actually prefer the perkiness.
In: W&L, DePaul, NEU, Seattle, BC($$$)
Not Not In: GW, Cornell,American, UVA, Vandy
Not In: UW, ND, HLS, UMich, Chicago,  Yale, G-Town, Duke

LSN

Blog[/url

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 26, 2007, 05:45:47 PM »

(no explanation)

completely unnecessary, but they look pretty and cost a lot of money?

I was thinking, they are precious and breathtaking, but it was really more of an open-ended, attention-grabbing statement. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

ciao-a-bunga

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 26, 2007, 05:46:20 PM »

(no explanation)

completely unnecessary, but they look pretty and cost a lot of money?

I was thinking, they are precious and breathtaking, but it was really more of an open-ended, attention-grabbing statement. 

But what about Kimmy Gibbler?

Ollie!

• 1 0f 30: U U D D L R L R B A STRT
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 26, 2007, 05:56:34 PM »
I'm 5'8 and as long as the guy is at least 5'9, it's doable. David Bowie and Iman made the "equal height but girl taller in heels" look very sexy and in. I don't mind being taller in heels. What I mind is a guy who is short--so 5'9 has always been my cut-off, and I have never been willing to budge below that.

However, if I was anything less than 5'5, I wouldn't date men less than 6ft b/c I wouldn't want my kids (especially my son) to be short. I understand completely why short women don't date short or average men--it's sorta hard to weed the shortness out when you're adding more short genes to your already unduly short genes.

Of course it's possible for two short people to produce tall children, and it's possible for a tall man to have children whose heights are closer to that of his short wife. But I go by probability, not possibility, and the probability of short + tall = taller is much higher than short + short = taller.

As it is, I'm 5'8 and my SO is 5'9.5. He's average height for a man and I'm tall (in comparison to American women). So our kids will very likely be at least average height males and tall females.

You seem to have thought about this a lot.  Why is height so important?

I think all things (weight, beauty, facial symmetry, bone structure etc) held equal, a taller person is more attractive than a shorter person (until about 6'1 for women and 6'6 for men). I think taller people, especially long-limbed, long-necked ones, tend to look more elegant in clothing, can pull of a more sophisticated look, have a more commanding presence by virtue of the fact that everyone isn't towering over them, and are more likely to be taken seriously.

I'm going by complaints I've heard from my short friends and what I've seen myself. I used to be roommates with a bunch of asian girls who could never wear the types of clothing I could pull off b/c they had short legs, long torsos and all maxed out at like 5'3. They were the first to point out to me the difficulties short people feel they face and actually do face. One of them took everything height-related really personally and always pointed out that I was referred to as "graceful" "gazelle-like" "elegant" etc while she got "cute" "adorable" "cuddly" etc. I sympathized with her but I was glad I'm 5'8, and would rather confer that small advantage to a future daughter of mine than have her height be something she has to overcome.

I'm acquaintances with a couple of short guys (one is 5'5 and the other looks a little taller, maybe 5'6). The 5'5 one has a really great body, great sense of humor, and is very nice yet every girl I know would never date him b/c of his height. I took issue with a few girls over that but then I realized I was being a hypocrite b/c even if I was single, I still wouldn't want to date a 5'5 guy. So it's like all his personal charm can't overcome that one feature. I dont want my son dealing with that if I can help it.

Height isn't a terribly big deal. But I'd like to confer as many advantages, physically and otherwise, to my future children as possible. I picked my SO b/c of who he is personality-wise, but I was also aware of his advantageous attributes. I guess I'm sounding weird now, but whatev.

I think you would be happy marrying a mirror.

ciao-a-bunga

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 26, 2007, 05:58:26 PM »
I'm 5'8 and as long as the guy is at least 5'9, it's doable. David Bowie and Iman made the "equal height but girl taller in heels" look very sexy and in. I don't mind being taller in heels. What I mind is a guy who is short--so 5'9 has always been my cut-off, and I have never been willing to budge below that.

However, if I was anything less than 5'5, I wouldn't date men less than 6ft b/c I wouldn't want my kids (especially my son) to be short. I understand completely why short women don't date short or average men--it's sorta hard to weed the shortness out when you're adding more short genes to your already unduly short genes.

Of course it's possible for two short people to produce tall children, and it's possible for a tall man to have children whose heights are closer to that of his short wife. But I go by probability, not possibility, and the probability of short + tall = taller is much higher than short + short = taller.

As it is, I'm 5'8 and my SO is 5'9.5. He's average height for a man and I'm tall (in comparison to American women). So our kids will very likely be at least average height males and tall females.

You seem to have thought about this a lot.  Why is height so important?

I think all things (weight, beauty, facial symmetry, bone structure etc) held equal, a taller person is more attractive than a shorter person (until about 6'1 for women and 6'6 for men). I think taller people, especially long-limbed, long-necked ones, tend to look more elegant in clothing, can pull of a more sophisticated look, have a more commanding presence by virtue of the fact that everyone isn't towering over them, and are more likely to be taken seriously.

I'm going by complaints I've heard from my short friends and what I've seen myself. I used to be roommates with a bunch of asian girls who could never wear the types of clothing I could pull off b/c they had short legs, long torsos and all maxed out at like 5'3. They were the first to point out to me the difficulties short people feel they face and actually do face. One of them took everything height-related really personally and always pointed out that I was referred to as "graceful" "gazelle-like" "elegant" etc while she got "cute" "adorable" "cuddly" etc. I sympathized with her but I was glad I'm 5'8, and would rather confer that small advantage to a future daughter of mine than have her height be something she has to overcome.

I'm acquaintances with a couple of short guys (one is 5'5 and the other looks a little taller, maybe 5'6). The 5'5 one has a really great body, great sense of humor, and is very nice yet every girl I know would never date him b/c of his height. I took issue with a few girls over that but then I realized I was being a hypocrite b/c even if I was single, I still wouldn't want to date a 5'5 guy. So it's like all his personal charm can't overcome that one feature. I dont want my son dealing with that if I can help it.

Height isn't a terribly big deal. But I'd like to confer as many advantages, physically and otherwise, to my future children as possible. I picked my SO b/c of who he is personality-wise, but I was also aware of his advantageous attributes. I guess I'm sounding weird now, but whatev.

I think you would be happy marrying a mirror.

Mean, but good.  Very good.

LawSchoolCutie

• Sr. Citizen
  • photoshoot with Bryan D. Socal Photography
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sx1ba8emoni
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 26, 2007, 06:27:42 PM »
Yes totally. I love tall guys
GPA: 3.22
GPA in Major 3.8
LSAT Practice Highest Score 152