Law School Discussion

Anyone else waitlisted here?

Anyone else waitlisted here?
« on: February 29, 2004, 01:14:34 PM »
Ok. now I'm waitlisted at Lewis and Clark and DePaul.  So, if they send 850 admission letters and have 275 spots, does that mean that 575 people have to decline before I get accepted?  Do schools go to their waitlist given their high application numbers this year?  Just trying to figure out chances...

bobfett33

Re: Anyone else waitlisted here?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 01:13:16 AM »
It doesn't quite work like that.  You first have to consider the idea of yield protection.  A school's yield (the number of admitted students that actually end up attending) is a good indicator of a school's quality.  It looks a lot better for a school to admit 250 students and have 200 of them go as opposed to admitting 500 students, and having 200 go.

Schools look at how many students they're aiming to get in this year's class, and also at what their yield rates have been in the past, and adjust accordingly.  But, without looking at yields too much, here's how it works:

Say L&C is planning on enrolling 200 students, give or take 10 or so.  So, they'll need to admit around 800.  Their past yield has been 25% (in 2002, L&C admitted 762 students and enrolled 190).  L&C will then probably make some automatic-accept standards - for instance, since their 75th percentile LSAT is 163, they'll probably auto-admit everyone with an LSAT of over 170.  (Keep in mind that with yield protection, they won't WANT to admit many of these students, because if you got a 170 or higher, you're probably only applying to L&C as a "safety," and will almost certainly be accepted and enrolled at a much higher-ranked school). 

So, say 50 applicants are auto-admitted.  They still have 150 spots to fill, so out of their applicant pool, they'll be offering admittance to about 750 more students, mainly depending on GPA and LSAT numbers.  The higher your numbers, the more likely you are to be admitted (obviously), but if you're not-so-high, you might be put on the waitlist.  In this case, it's like the school and the student have reversed positions - Lewis and Clark has made you their "safety" - if the other, higher-scoring applicants don't accept, they'll admit you.   

odes

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 03:24:57 AM »
Good Answer, but don't certain schools "never" go to waiting lists while others do occasionally? I'm waitlisted at Wake and USF and I wan't to know if I have any chance of gettings off these schools waiting lists.

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 08:20:20 AM »
Ok, that clears up the picture quite a bit.  Thanks for the thorough explanation! ;)

sings21

• 151/163 3.46
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 02:54:06 PM »
I was waitlisted at DePaul and I thought it was a sure thing.  I have already been accepted at University of Cincinnati and it is ranked much higher.  I called the admissions office and they told me that they overbooked last year and had to add a new section.  They are being very careful this year to make up for it.  It could have been a line.  Good luck.