Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm thinking about screwing law and becoming a...  (Read 2573 times)

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: I'm thinking about screwing law and becoming a...
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2007, 02:08:18 PM »
Of course some of us considered alternate careers.  We're just not very good at giving advice on the off-topic board.

I would be having a change of heart if I got your LSAT score too.  I would really take the test again if I were you and try to get in the 150s, because that will give you a much better chance in terms of acceptances.  While you're working on taking it again, continue to evaluate your career plans.  Maybe you should sit in on some law school classes or go visit a few schools if it's convenient.  Talk to the lawyers in your office if that's an option, or law students.

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2007, 02:30:29 PM »
I don't get what you guys are talking about, that's not even advice! LOL

I think you are making a false assumption that everyone who goes into girly careers like fashion are women, there are a lot of men in Real Estate and men in entertainment industry...Sigh..I need constructive advice please..

I mean one day I went from a person who really loved law and wanted to do this to someone who questioned the idea of working for 50 years and dedicating a lifetime to this field. I'm really surprised no one seriously doesn't question an alternate career.

I think that we have all seriously thought about alternate careers. As an engineering major, I see my friends getting great jobs with very good pay and it certainly makes me question my decision. But at this point in the admission cycle, you can't expect people to take a turn back from law. I mean most people on LSD have already devoted a lot of time and effort to prepare a good application file and I'm sure you realize that most people here will be heading to very good schools. So I don't think you can expect them to question alternate careers.
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2007, 02:30:43 PM »
Exactly.  I wasn't kidding earlier.

Look, nobody can actually give you real advice here because only you know the importance each of these careers holds to you.  But if the other two look more desirable and you're merely chickening out because you feel law's more "dependable", I'm telling you right now that your LSAT score gives you a VERY small chance of finding a "dependable" job out of law school, and that you'll have to work equally as hard (if not harder than) a career in real estate to make anything of yourself.  And, to be honest, the payoffs could end up being the same.

Those who've told you to rewrite the LSAT first are right.  Study hard.  Rewrite it.  If you score 160 or above, THEN this becomes a dilemma, because you're looking at a T2 (maybe a T1) which gives you much greater security at a higher income threshold than a T4 (which you may or may not get into as it stands). 

Right now, though, it's not all that hard to me.  If you're not going to redo the LSAT, then real estate is the way to go.  And if you're one of those follow-your-dreams people, then give the fashion thing a year or two while you're still young and don't have any mouths to feed.
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2007, 02:34:09 PM »
I also hang out on a newlywed message board, and there are quite a few wives and young mothers who are giving up law after only 3-5 years of practicing.  I'm not just talking about leaving big law; they are out and out quitting the legal profession because they hate it.  Some are trying to use their degree and going into admissions or community college teaching, others are branching into an entirely different career such as a life coach, graphic designer, etc.

If you don't think being an attorney is right for you, I'd say it's better to know that now that $100k from now.  Keep in mind though that plenty of people say that being a paralegal is not at all like being a lawyer.

I do wonder if your hatred of the legal field stems from an insecurity that you don't think you'll do well in law school because of your LSAT.  If that's the case, study your tukus off and take the LSAT next year.  If it's in the 150+ range, maybe you'll be more confident.  And if you're not, than start looking at real estate certifications.

I've had a few thoughts of what else I'd become, and unfortunately for the two career choices I'd like best (accountant or pharmacist) I don't have the right UG courses, so I'm going to stick out this application cycle and see what happens.  If I don't get in anywhere, then I'll look at different careers.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

LawSchoolCutie

• Sr. Citizen
  • photoshoot with Bryan D. Socal Photography
    • AOL Instant Messenger - sx1ba8emoni
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2007, 05:13:44 PM »
Thank you all. I was really disappointed with my score. Yes I thought it did measure my intelligence. My bosses have told me that they hate their jobs and that they want none of their children to go into the field. That said, I can see how I would love it.

I'm going to go for the LSAT again in September, see how I do and then make a choice from there.
GPA: 3.22
GPA in Major 3.8
LSAT Practice Highest Score 152
LSAT Goal Score at least 165

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2007, 05:14:52 PM »
See if you can write it in June.  It will allow you to make the decision sooner.  Either way, good luck!
Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

mf22076

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2007, 05:16:18 PM »
LawSchoolCutie,

You look very young and have many, many options.  But Boss and Baboon have given you two of the best advice posts I've seen on this board.  Good Luck in whatever you decide to do.

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2007, 05:37:36 PM »
Thank you all. I was really disappointed with my score. Yes I thought it did measure my intelligence. My bosses have told me that they hate their jobs and that they want none of their children to go into the field. That said, I can see how I would love it.

I'm going to go for the LSAT again in September, see how I do and then make a choice from there.

I don't think the LSAT measures intelligence.  It measures a certain type of reasoning, and maybe those with better reasoning skills=more intelligent, but it's still a basically standardized test.  I never did well on standardized tests and I didn't get the best score on the LSAT, but I did very well in classes last semester.  It's more about working hard than the LSAT, but you'll have more/better opportunities if you get a reasonably higher score.

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2007, 06:21:08 PM »
You should give up on law school.  Why?  Because law school is horrible, and being a lawyer can't be any better.

That said, for it to be your dream and then for you to convince yourself you really don't want it because of a low LSAT score... seems a bit absurd.

Don't listen to him, he's just sad because he goes to law school in the arctic tundra. ;)

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2007, 07:41:11 PM »
You should give up on law school.  Why?  Because law school is horrible, and being a lawyer can't be any better.

That said, for it to be your dream and then for you to convince yourself you really don't want it because of a low LSAT score... seems a bit absurd.

Don't listen to him, he's just sad because he goes to law school in the arctic tundra. ;)

Don't listen to her, she only rocked law school because she now lives in Arkansas and she's the only non-inbred person there.

Although I will admit, it definitely does not help.  I feel like USD students are probably much more positive about law school due simply to it being sunny, warm, and the school having a much greater aesthetic appeal.

This is a blasphemous falsehood.  At least I told the truth!   :D :P