;

Poll

Are You Going to the One in March?

Yes, definitely!
Probably yes
Probably not
Definitely not
Totally undecided

Author Topic: Georgetown Admitted Students Weekend--March 22-23!  (Read 8687 times)

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Jim Tressel drinks wine coolers
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Georgetown Admitted Students Weekend!
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2007, 08:20:41 AM »
Yeah, same here.  It was mentioned in the email, but there was no attachment.

Also, those of you who have received an email from your daytime hosts, did you get an impression that we're supposed to be sitting with our hosts during the dinner reception?

And I had a cinnamon dolce latte today; it is really good indeed.

I did receive a security pass attached to the last email.  I would email them back...

My student host is not necessarily planning on attending the evening events (capitol hill, dinner, night out) so I don't think we're supposed to sit with them.  I hope not anyway... 

Haha, just as I was composing an email to say I did not get a security pass another email comes with it attached :)
University of Michigan Law School, Class of 2010
LSN

zephyr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2007, 05:12:55 PM »
Have a safe trip! See you there-
Jim McAllister: Larry, we're not electing the f-ing Pope here. Just tell me who won. -Election

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2007, 07:48:56 PM »
So are there any definite plans/locations/times for lunch/coffee/etc? Looks like I'm going to be free most of the 12-3PM period.
LSN

GoldenAfro

• Sr. Citizen
  • Like It's Golden
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2007, 10:10:43 PM »
Well I was there, and I just got back a few hours ago. What did you guys think about Georgetown?
I'm taking my freedom... Pulling it off the shelf... Putting it on my chain... Wearing it 'round my neck... I'm taking my freedom... Putting it in my car... Wherever I choose to go... It will take me far

zephyr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2007, 10:35:48 PM »
I just returned to five-degree Boston. I'll share more later, but I really liked it. GULC is at the top of my list right now.
Jim McAllister: Larry, we're not electing the f-ing Pope here. Just tell me who won. -Election

rtqw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2007, 11:24:39 PM »
I have some mixed feelings. There were some portions of the event I didn't particularly care for. The capitol hill trip was well intentioned, but was pretty much the most obnoxious way possible of telling us 'hey, the law school is right in the middle of DC and that is super awesome'. I'm wondering why they didn't have the alumni staffers come to the school (it is only a few blocks away for them). Having to wait for the buses, wait to go through security, and wait for the buses again was a real drag.

One of my major concerns about Georgetown is the large size and they weren't able to alleviate those concerns for me. It didn't help that every room we were in was short (or almost short) of seats - the room at the capitol, the dinner reception, etc. I guess that's going to be the case when it comes to a school that admits over 2000 people a year for a class of over 600. The campus was smaller than I expected, considering the size of the student body.

On the plus side, the facilities are wonderful. At my current school you have the nice new buildings they show you on the tour, but you end up taking most of your classes in the crummy old buildings. All of the areas of the law center were really nice. Anyone get to see the upper levels of the sports and fitness center? Individual TVs on all the cardio machines! I stayed with a student host in his room in the on-campus apartments and I thought they were pretty good too - they'd defintely be an upgrade from my current on-campus apartment.

Most of the faculty and student interaction I had was good. I really liked the moot argument they had before lunch today and I had a great conversation with a professor during breakfast. I liked most of the students I met - as I was told twice in a three minute span on the bus to the bar, they work hard and they play hard - and I think that's a good thing.

The financial aid presentation was very informative and helped make the whole process a bit less daunting for me.

I don't know what I think about the curriculum B thing, but I think its a plus that Georgetown is trying something new. 

Yesterday and today were literally my first time ever on a law school campus (no LS on my UG campus), so it's hard to completely evaluate GULC yet without anything to compare it with. Georgetown still ranks high for me, but it's nowhere near a slam dunk.
LSN

GoldenAfro

• Sr. Citizen
  • Like It's Golden
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2007, 02:03:53 PM »
Well I was there, and I just got back a few hours ago. What did you guys think about Georgetown?

I liked it!
Which night on the town activity did you go to?

I went to the Buffalo Billiards bar/pool room/etc.
I'm taking my freedom... Pulling it off the shelf... Putting it on my chain... Wearing it 'round my neck... I'm taking my freedom... Putting it in my car... Wherever I choose to go... It will take me far

bohemian_revolution

• Sr. Citizen
  • le fabuleux destin
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2007, 05:06:49 PM »
tag

Ted Buckland, ESQ

• Sr. Citizen
  • Leverage??... Torts??...Ruth Bader who???
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2007, 05:25:08 PM »
I had so much fun at the ASW. I lucked out and had the greatest student host of all time, who had a kick ass apartment in Gewirz and got me totally wasted by 9:30PM Thursday. That whole night and the next day's activities are all a big blur right now. But if you want to go a school with a relaxed atmosphere but with basically the same (if not more in some areas) opportunites than higher ranked T!4, then you can't go wrong with GT. And DC's a great city where the GT degree is highly valued. There's an endless supply of legal and government related places to work and intern during the school year (GT will even give you credit for working in certain PI positions), something I don't think schools in college towns like Cornell or Duke can offer. So if GT comes through with a nice scholarship/financial aid offer, it's very likely I will be matriculating there.

zephyr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2007, 05:50:23 PM »
if you want to go a school with a relaxed atmosphere but with basically the same (if not more in some areas) opportunites than higher ranked T!4, then you can't go wrong with GT. And DC's a great city where the GT degree is highly valued. There's an endless supply of legal and government related places to work and intern during the school year (GT will even give you credit for working in certain PI positions)

I think that's why I'm almost 100% sold on GULC. The opportunities in DC are unparalleled. I like the idea of being able to do an externship as a Hill staffer or at another gov't agency for credit. You just can't do that from many 'higher' ranked schools.