Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scholarships at Northwestern  (Read 1172 times)

WeeSqueak

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Scholarships at Northwestern
« on: January 16, 2007, 11:51:34 AM »
Looking at last year's LSN Northwestern gives out a lot of money.  I know there is the Wigmore Scholarship ($105,000/3 years).  Are there others?  Does anyone know what the selection process is?  LSN doesn't seem to indicate a clear numbers cutoff either.

theprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: Scholarships at Northwestern
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 12:00:29 PM »
I have heard of them offering 120k (tuition+stipend) over 3 years to applicants straight out of UG, but only if they agree to wait a year to enter so they can get work experience. I don't know if the 120k scholarship is ever given to people who already have work experience or if the tuition-only scholarship is the highest given to those who will matriculate in the coming fall. They do seem to give out more money than many other schools, so I'll just be keeping my fingers crossed until the notifications are sent out...

kirsten11235

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 11:13:05 AM »
I have been offered 120 k scholarship and I already have 2 years of work experience.  I am working in the consulting field, so I guess Northwestern liked that.

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 01:48:56 PM »
I have heard of them offering 120k (tuition+stipend) over 3 years to applicants straight out of UG, but only if they agree to wait a year to enter so they can get work experience. I don't know if the 120k scholarship is ever given to people who already have work experience or if the tuition-only scholarship is the highest given to those who will matriculate in the coming fall. They do seem to give out more money than many other schools, so I'll just be keeping my fingers crossed until the notifications are sent out...

This is the offer I received from them, seems like a pretty solid deal.

Sooner

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 02:51:10 PM »
To clarify, Wigmore = $120K = full tuition for three years. Tuition is 40K/year.
The University of Chicago
The Law School

WeeSqueak

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 03:04:54 PM »
Thanks for the clarification, it was cited as $105,000 on LSN last year.

xerxes24

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 06:30:38 PM »
Is it true that Northwestern does not send merit scholarship information until after you submit financial aid forms? That's how I understood their instructions, but some people seem to have already been informed about merit scholarships. Were you simply quick to turn in your FAFSA stuff, or am I mistaken about financial aid needing to be submitted before merit decisions are announced?

Schruted

• Sr. Citizen
  • I love her.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 06:50:27 PM »
Is it true that Northwestern does not send merit scholarship information until after you submit financial aid forms? That's how I understood their instructions, but some people seem to have already been informed about merit scholarships. Were you simply quick to turn in your FAFSA stuff, or am I mistaken about financial aid needing to be submitted before merit decisions are announced?

I'd like to hear the answer to this also. I don't want to go through the paperwork of FAFSA forms if NU offers merit scholarships without them anyway.
NYU 2010

bohica

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 08:13:17 PM »
From the NU website: "Each year the Law School also awards a number of merit scholarships (xls) to entering students who show exceptional academic promise and ability. Students do not apply for these scholarships; recipients are selected by the Admission Committee."

I'd still apply though. Unless you have a whopper of a trust fund or have saved away some money, you can get some need based aid or loans. Their deadline for the forms is 2/15 and their FAFSA deadline is today, so hurry.

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 09:36:49 PM »
I didn't send financial info and I received the 40K/year scholarship.