Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PT applicants, let's hear it!  (Read 1183 times)

whateverlady5555

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
PT applicants, let's hear it!
« on: January 15, 2007, 11:20:59 PM »
Hey!

I am applying to schools PT and FT, but I think I would prefer PT. I have a master's in library science, so I can go to law school and work a low-stress yet professional job. I will be 26 when I start law school.

Who else is applying PT? What are your day jobs?

Also, I was thinking about something today. At schools like SMU or UALR, it seems (based on LSN), that they ask some applicants to come PT instead of FT. What's up with that? How does that affect people who only want PT? Or does it affect them?

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=drpepr108

Yes, I have a handful of super reaches on there.   

paul1454

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: PT applicants, let's hear it!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 11:29:06 PM »
I'm with you man. But I work in public accounting so I don't think I'll be keeping my day job when I go to school (60-80 hours during tax season).  I'll probably try to get an in-house corporate, non-profit, or IRS accounting position. 

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=paul1454

enkidu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 11:32:49 PM »
IN!

I have apps in at U of Houston, SMU, George Washington, George Mason and American all part time.

Don't think I'll be working too much, just trying to get experience in the legal field @ 20ish hours a week. I prefer school in the evening anyways.

I've also applied to FT to many schools and will be happy either way, but indicated my preference is PT to UH SMU and GMason, where you can select either on the app.

Good luck everybody!
Going to W&L!

Matokah

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ice? In Sacramento? Hmm. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 12:51:34 AM »
I applied to the two PT programs in Los Angeles (Southwestern and Loyola), because I have the potential to transfer out to LA with my current job (paralegal work mostly).  If that doesn't work out and I do decide to attend either of those schools (assuming Loyola accepts me!), I think I'll work on teaching figure skating lessons on a part-time basis and see if I can find some related part-time legal work for about 20 hours a week.
University of the Pacific McGeorge School of Law 2010!!

(LSN)

JDubs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 06:58:00 AM »
Applied and accepted to Temple's Evening program which they call FT but is actually 3/5ths the course load of FT Day.  Commute is an hour or so to the school so I will be cutting back hours a bit.  Also hoping to get away with taking Friday's off.  No classes on Friday so I hope to get a chance to do stuff with my son who will be turning 1 shortly after I start.
LSN

Going to Temple's Evening Program in '07!

ihope i hope

• Sr. Citizen
  • I will be living in a cardboard box....forever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 11:15:22 AM »
any school that had an option of "consider me for both" or something along those lines I marked off.  I'm paying for law school on my own, and If I can even get a crummy job somewhere to help offset the cost of living or what have you, it'll be a huge help down the road.
Shippin' off to Buffalo, to find my wooden leg!

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 11:24:48 AM »
I've applied to PT to schools I will have a hard time getting into (Fordham, Brooklyn, some others)... not because I intend to work a day job, just because I hope it will help me getting in.

Demigoddess

• Sr. Citizen
  • Legal Posh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 12:52:17 PM »
I applied to 9 part-time programs out of the 11 schools I applied to. One of those 9 accepted me as full-time (must have checked off the "both" box on that one). I applied for the part-time programs, because realistically-speaking, I CANNOT live on zero income or whatever income I make in a summer. I enjoy the finer things in life (the shoes, the make-up, nice dinners) so going full-time would set me up for an economic disaster.

I am currently working in Big 4 public accounting which I know I will most likely not be able to keep up with once in law school, so I will be looking into easy bookkeeping positions that have a 9-5 workday. I'm willing to take a small pay-cut just for the less stressful hours. With the schools I'm looking at, I'd have to move cross-country which I'm REALLY NERVOUS about  :-\ I asked my current job for a transfer, so if that goes through, things will be a lot easier as I'll be moving employed which won't be so harsh on my wallet, and it will be easier for me to buy a car/get an apartment/etc.. I just hope it all works out somehow... :-[
"Bend & SNAP!" (Attending) = Loyola-LA
"What? Like it's hard?" (Accepted) = UMiami,U of San Diego,SMU-Dedman,Santa Clara U,Suffolk, SLU,Loyola-Chicago,Loyola-LA
"Apparently you get a really bad rash on your..."(R)=
"She's not completely unfortunate looking" (WL) = American U,USF

whateverlady5555

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 01:32:49 PM »
so going full-time would set me up for an economic disaster.

I know what you mean! I would rather just work than worry about money. The worry would be a distraction, more so than a job. I like knowing that I can take my car to the shop, take my cat to the vet, and treat myself to dinner/clothes if I want. It's all about peace of mind.

Congrats on SMU! I applied PT there.

Good luck moving across country too. That would be pretty stressful. Try to think of it as an adventure?!

Big Slick

• Sr. Citizen
  • All in B!tches
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 04:32:23 PM »
I'm with you man. But I work in public accounting so I don't think I'll be keeping my day job when I go to school (60-80 hours during tax season).  I'll probably try to get an in-house corporate, non-profit, or IRS accounting position. 

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=paul1454

I am an in-house tax senior for a fortune 100 co. and 60+ hours per week is standard during compliance season.  We dont have to bill time so that makes it little better than public accting though.

hopefully my employer would let me work part time....