Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Confusion regarding ethnicity.  (Read 1111 times)

J Five

• View Profile
Confusion regarding ethnicity.
« on: January 14, 2007, 09:18:07 PM »
I'm Middle Eastern/Arabic.  I've been told by a professor that Arabic is a religion and not an ethnicity (which is why it is never listed), and that I'm supposed to say that I'm white.  However, I've always considered the term 'Arabic' to encompass it's own ethnic group.  Since this option isn't really available on applications, do I just choose 'other?'

annab

• Sr. Citizen
  • I will not pay taxes for war, thank you very much
    • View Profile
Re: Confusion regarding ethnicity.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 09:19:38 PM »
I'm Middle Eastern/Arabic.  I've been told by a professor that Arabic is a religion and not an ethnicity (which is why it is never listed), and that I'm supposed to say that I'm white.  However, I've always considered the term 'Arabic' to encompass it's own ethnic group.  Since this option isn't really available on applications, do I just choose 'other?'

Arabic is a religion now?  ???

I would put 'other' if there's no more appropriate option.  :)

stjobs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 09:23:54 PM »
Uh, what professor, and which school? Don't answer or put other and explain in a statement.
HLS 2010

TerribleTTTowel

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 10:48:52 PM »
Arabs from both North Africa and the Middle East were generally considered white for the U.S. 2000 Census.

In cases where individuals do not self-identify, the United States Census parameters for race gives each national origin a racial value. This groups Middle Eastern Americans and North African American together with European Americans as White Americans.

It's Wikipedia, but have fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_(people)

stjobs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 09:33:22 AM »
I was already aware of that. I was referring to the part about 'religion, not an ethnicity.'
HLS 2010

aslaw505

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 12:10:29 PM »
I am a college admission counselor, and for our purposes, we will consider Middle-Eastern students to be Asian if they wish. They're still eligible for our minority scholarships.