Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Oprah Winfrey challenged by two black professors on CNN  (Read 6920 times)

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
Oprah Winfrey challenged by two black professors on CNN
« on: January 14, 2007, 05:32:49 PM »
I'm not sure if this has already been posted here, but I'm interested to know what others think...

Oprah Winfrey, Bill Cosby Face Growing Challenge by Black Professors - Marc Lamont Hill and Boyce Watkins Appear on CNN to Discuss Concerns

Black Professors concerned that Cosby and Winfrey comments on black youth are ultimately detrimental.

Philadelphia, PA (PRWEB) January 8, 2007 -- Prominent African-American professors Dr. Marc Lamont Hill and Dr. Boyce Watkins have appeared on CNN recently to challenge Oprah Winfrey regarding her perceptions of black males and inner city students. Dr. Hill, a Professor at Temple University, appeared on Showbiz Tonight and Dr. Watkins (Syracuse University) made similar statements on CNN's Paula Zahn Now. Both men are respectfully concerned that Winfrey's statements and actions may have a detrimental effect on poor African-Americans, especially men.

"Her deployment of a Cosby-esque 'blame the victim' approach to the American educational crisis is both facile and counterproductive.  When asked why she built a school in Africa instead of America's inner cities, Ms. Winfrey replied, "I became so frustrated with visiting inner-city schools [in the U.S.. If you ask the kids what they want or need, they will say an iPod or some sneakers. In South Africa, they don't ask for money or toys. They ask for uniforms so they can go to school."

Dr. Hill questioned Winfrey's statements, saying that she is misdirecting her frustration with the poor condition of America's inner city schools. "Her deployment of a Cosby-esque 'blame the victim' approach to the American educational crisis is both facile and counterproductive," says Hill, who makes regular appearances on CNN and Fox News. Hill says that it is unfortunate that "Oprah 'Everybody Gets A Car!' Winfrey sees no irony in the fact that her own show pushes many of the products that she says contribute to our youth's wanton consumerism."

Dr. Watkins agrees that Oprah's perceptions are misguided. "How in the world can you look at the deplorable statistics in our inner city schools and say that the kids are to blame for this?" says Watkins, the author of "Everything you ever wanted to know about College". "She can spend her money as she pleases, but don't attack and throw away our kids in the process."

Watkins also feels that Oprah's statements about inner city students may relate to her general perception of black males. On CNN's "Paula Zahn Now", Dr. Watkins questioned Winfrey's representation of black men on her show. "It seems that Oprah has no problem with the Grammy and Oscar winners, but when it comes to rank and file black males, she tends to ignore or misrepresent them. Her frustration with rappers even led her to edit out the comments by (hip hop star) Ludicris on her show. I was offended by that."

Hill and Watkins are also outspoken critics of Bill Cosby for his attacks on the inner city. Hill's comments in The Baltimore Sun Times and Watkins' comments on The Wendy Williams Experience have led to a powerful backlash from Cosby himself.

"Our greatest enemy in the black community is the elitism that leads some of us to think that we are better than others," says Dr. Watkins, the author of 'What if George Bush were a Black Man?' "It's easy for Bill and Oprah to says 'What's wrong with those Negroes?' It's much harder for them to engage in critical and constructive dialogue."

Dr. Marc Lamont Hill is Assistant Professor of Urban Education & American Studies at Temple University and the editor of www.barbershopnotebooks.com. He makes regular appearances in the national media, including CNN, FOX News, and various other media. Dr. Boyce Watkins is a Finance Professor at Syracuse University and author of "What if George Bush were a Black Man?" He makes regular appearances on ESPN, CNN, FOX and other networks. For interviews, call Lawrence at (502) 640-8155 or visit www.MarcLamontHill.com and www.boycewatkins.com.
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

FossilJ

• LSD Obsessed
  • Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
Re: Oprah Winfrey challenged by two black professors on CNN
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 06:48:46 PM »
This appears to be a case of two professors hugely missing the point.  Not that inner-city schools are a joke.  Definitely problematic.

Pish, J only wants to waste YOUR time.  Get wise.

parsley

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 07:05:09 PM »
This appears to be a press release for professors using Oprah and Bill Cosby to promote lame books.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 07:11:13 PM »
This appears to be a press release for professors using Oprah and Bill Cosby to promote lame books.

titcr
Columbia 3L

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 07:18:09 PM »
blaming the victim...im so sick of hearing that s hyte...its the no. 1 n word excuse...
...man, you was who you was before you got here

LadyKD

• Sr. Citizen
  • And so it began..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 07:26:51 PM »
Facing this undesirable result, the highly educated Negro often grows sour. He becomes too pessimistic to be a constructive force and usually develops into a chronic fault-finder or a complainant at the bar of public opinion.
Carter G. Woodson

HMMMM

Lily Jaye

• Sr. Citizen
  • A Schizophrenic Veronica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 07:30:03 PM »
Oprah's a lot smarter than people give her credit for.  Critics condemn her "hypocrisy" for including a spa/facials/etc. but blasting American black youth for their materialism, but it makes me wonder if there's something deeper to the spa treatments.  The more I read, the more I think the "oh, they've never felt pretty" spiel is a ruse.  Oprah's intelligent enough to know that rich white men won't take you seriously unless you present yourself in the appropriate class trappings.  If you want to groom women for power, you have to teach them those social nuances.  However, the fundies -- who, sadly, can get a lot more airtime than black people -- would mercilessly attack her for it if she came out and said it directly.  It would be too threatening on too many levels.

Now, this doesn't excuse her implicit attack on American black youth.  But if she was thinking along these lines, then her statement adopts a different overtone.  It becomes a question of criticizing them for materialism per se vs. materialism as a means to an end.
Random 2L who does not spend nearly as much time here as she should.

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 07:43:17 PM »
I can understand the criticism of Oprah, but I don't quite understand how Bill Cosby got thrown in. 

Because Bill Cosby and Oprah basically made the same comments.
Columbia 3L

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 07:50:10 PM »
Oprah's comment just seems ridiculous.  I seriously doubt she's gone into enough inner city schools and spoken to enough individual students to declare all of them are materialistic and undeserving of her help.  It always seemed to me as though Bill Cosby was identifying problems within the black community and then pointing the finger at what he considered to be their cause.  People can obviously disagree with where he's pointing the finger, but it doesn't seem quite right to lump him in with Oprah's alleged hypocrisy. 

Oprah already apologized for the sweeping statment.  But I have seen what she's talking about.
Columbia 3L

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 08:07:43 PM »
Oprah's comment just seems ridiculous.  I seriously doubt she's gone into enough inner city schools and spoken to enough individual students to declare all of them are materialistic and undeserving of her help.  It always seemed to me as though Bill Cosby was identifying problems within the black community and then pointing the finger at what he considered to be their cause.  People can obviously disagree with where he's pointing the finger, but it doesn't seem quite right to lump him in with Oprah's alleged hypocrisy. 

Oprah already apologized for the sweeping statment.  But I have seen what she's talking about.

everybody has...but the truth hurts...semantics...maybe she should have said it better but....everybody knows what she meant...uhhh i get so sick of this stupid blaming the victim ish....people came right out of slavery and made something of themselves i dont want to hear that you cant overcome in 2007...totally random but not really...remember petey in "remember the titans"....remember how the white coach alwasy wanted to tell him it was ok wasn't his fault etc. etc....and denzel told him that he was crippling him....all these blaming the victim a-holes are cripplin' our people....just like petey....
...man, you was who you was before you got here