Law School Discussion

Chicago Countdown Thread

pea27

Re: Chicago Countdown Thread
« Reply #480 on: February 05, 2007, 05:30:57 PM »
i got put on hold at chicago today.  do i have a shot in hell of eventually getting in?  if i write the extra essays, etc.?

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #481 on: February 05, 2007, 05:37:39 PM »
I'm on hold at Chicago.  Quite a blow, really.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 05, 2007, 05:44:57 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

>:( >:( >:(

OK... you'll get in, just later in the cycle. On the other hand, if we both get into CLS... (someone troll please!)

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #483 on: February 05, 2007, 05:46:14 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

>:( >:( >:(

OK... you'll get in, just later in the cycle. On the other hand, if we both get into CLS... (someone troll please!)

I'm miffed.  I don't really know what to think. 

If I hadn't gotten the T-Stock email, I'd be even more worried right now.  I don't know.

« Reply #484 on: February 05, 2007, 05:48:51 PM »

Sorry to hear that. I guess they must've found out about your Harvard interview.

(Sorta off topic, but both Chicago and Columbia seem to be deferring a lot of HYS admits this year. Did the same thing happen to the same degree last year, or are the two Cs being more cautious this year about whom they admit?)

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #485 on: February 05, 2007, 05:50:30 PM »
Called back today, left a VM with Ann Perry (who called me on Fri.), she called back and left a VM while I was in class asking me to call back, and then I called back (again) and couldn't get through, so I left another VM, and she called me back, and I'm officially in! Whew!

And Brito, I'm SO surprised and sad!!!   :(

Thank you.  I'm really sad, too.  I know there's still hope, but well, it's the first setback I've encountered, and I'm not sure how to take it. 

The streak of invincibility that began with the T-Stock email on Friday night and lasted through a perfect debate tournament over the weekend is over.  I'm very tired.  I need a drink.

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #486 on: February 05, 2007, 06:16:46 PM »
Called back today, left a VM with Ann Perry (who called me on Fri.), she called back and left a VM while I was in class asking me to call back, and then I called back (again) and couldn't get through, so I left another VM, and she called me back, and I'm officially in! Whew!

And Brito, I'm SO surprised and sad!!!   :(

Thank you.  I'm really sad, too.  I know there's still hope, but well, it's the first setback I've encountered, and I'm not sure how to take it. 

The streak of invincibility that began with the T-Stock email on Friday night and lasted through a perfect debate tournament over the weekend is over.  I'm very tired.  I need a drink.

But it's only a hold, not a rejection!  Your awesome cycle hasn't been ruined yet, I'm sure you'll get in soon :)

Awww, I really hope so.  I'm not sure what the problem is.

« Reply #487 on: February 05, 2007, 06:19:02 PM »

It's your top choice, right? I think they want confirmation... probably afraid you'll go somewhere else (H). I'm sure you'll get in after you send in a letter of continued interest.

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #488 on: February 05, 2007, 06:20:51 PM »

It's your top choice, right? I think they want confirmation... probably afraid you'll go somewhere else (H). I'm sure you'll get in after you send in a letter of continued interest.

Well, it definitely was before this stunt, and it will be again once I calm down.

I really thought my LSAT was low enough to shield me from YP, and I hate to be arrogant enough to assume that's what's going on.

FunkyzeitmitBruno

• please fire this man
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 05, 2007, 06:35:10 PM »

Sorry to hear that. I guess they must've found out about your Harvard interview.

(Sorta off topic, but both Chicago and Columbia seem to be deferring a lot of HYS admits this year. Did the same thing happen to the same degree last year, or are the two Cs being more cautious this year about whom they admit?)

Looking at LSN from previous cycles, Chicago has had a rather idiosyncratic admissions process, probably due to their small class size and yield issues. I don't think they really care that much about soft factors but do look for a certain "fit" from the application. Columbia is more numbers (re LSAT) driven, but every year they have some weird deferrals/waitlists (ppl with 4.5+ index numbers, I'd like to include myself to that list for this year). My personal OPINION and I know there will be some disagreement on what I say next, is that Columbia, ever since they've had a new dean of admissions 2 years ago, have increased their LSAT requirements, begun to shun engineers and hard science ppl, and generally look for ppl with interesting personalities and experiences (perhaps to counteract their previous reputation for churning out robotic corporate lawyers...now they produce err... less robotic corporate lawyers!)