Law School Discussion

Chicago Countdown Thread

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Chicago Countdown Thread
« Reply #660 on: March 26, 2007, 10:33:14 PM »
The waitlists should be hitting mail boxes today. I've heard that they send out a bajillion WL's because their matriculation rate is so low. Heads up.

Chong Li is as right as his record. WLed today. I don't know if this is common among other schools, but they offer consideration of deferred admission for 2008 or even 2009. Just seeing that made me begin to consider deferring for a year a reapplying everywhere next cycle, especially since I still don't know what I'll be doing this summer for cash. I could get a real job (shudder) for year.  :-\

Oh, also, I realize this discussion's going on in multiple locations, but from the sound of things (meaning mainly from MTG and the other extremely helpful UC guys around here) Chicago doesn't treat its waitlist like a glorified rejection, so you shouldn't feel as disappointed as, say, I did when I was waitlisted at Berkeley.

From what I saw last year, this is correct. I remember a number of people getting in of the WL last year.

Any of them get money? Merit-based, I mean. I know this is highly unlikely. Also, how are they with need-based grants?

MindTheGap76

• UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #661 on: March 26, 2007, 10:43:29 PM »
The waitlists should be hitting mail boxes today. I've heard that they send out a bajillion WL's because their matriculation rate is so low. Heads up.

Chong Li is as right as his record. WLed today. I don't know if this is common among other schools, but they offer consideration of deferred admission for 2008 or even 2009. Just seeing that made me begin to consider deferring for a year a reapplying everywhere next cycle, especially since I still don't know what I'll be doing this summer for cash. I could get a real job (shudder) for year.  :-\

Oh, also, I realize this discussion's going on in multiple locations, but from the sound of things (meaning mainly from MTG and the other extremely helpful UC guys around here) Chicago doesn't treat its waitlist like a glorified rejection, so you shouldn't feel as disappointed as, say, I did when I was waitlisted at Berkeley.

From what I saw last year, this is correct. I remember a number of people getting in of the WL last year.

Any of them get money? Merit-based, I mean. I know this is highly unlikely. Also, how are they with need-based grants?

I don't remember any of them getting merit-based money, and I unfortunately don't know anything about need-based grants.

hmm

« Reply #662 on: March 27, 2007, 09:48:02 AM »

Does Chicago allow people to defer admission and simultaneously apply to other law schools? My impression was that most schools require you to pledge not to reapply to other schools as a condition of deferring your matriculation. Is Chicago different? (Just curious; I'm not actually in that position.)

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #663 on: March 27, 2007, 09:50:37 AM »

Does Chicago allow people to defer admission and simultaneously apply to other law schools? My impression was that most schools require you to pledge not to reapply to other schools as a condition of deferring your matriculation. Is Chicago different? (Just curious; I'm not actually in that position.)

The deferral isn't a guaranteed admission, it's essentially reapplying very early for next cycle. So, yeah, you can still apply to other schools.

« Reply #664 on: March 29, 2007, 05:23:12 AM »

The deferral isn't a guaranteed admission, it's essentially reapplying very early for next cycle. So, yeah, you can still apply to other schools.

No way.  From the admitted students binder: "If we grant your [deferral] request, you will have to withdraw your applications from all other law schools and not seek deferred admission elsewhere.  You also may not apply to other law schools while you are deferred."  And I'm pretty sure it IS a guaranteed admission.  If you've already been admitted, they're just letting you start in fall 08 or 09 instead of 07.