Law School Discussion

Chicago Countdown Thread

Brito

• AOL Instant Messenger - ViolaLovesMusic
    • View Profile
    • Email
Chicago Countdown Thread
« on: January 13, 2007, 09:31:59 PM »
In this thread we obsess and talk about how we like game theory until Chicago starts handing out RD acceptances. 

And so it begins.

Re: Chicago Countdown Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 09:38:55 PM »
So it does.

In the meantime, someone please pass the rum and we shall all be merry.

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 09:40:32 PM »
So it does.

In the meantime, someone please pass the rum and we shall all be merry.

I don't have any handy, just a little wine.

I'll break out the rum if I don't get in.  :-\

stjobs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 09:42:59 PM »
Scotch here...

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 09:44:54 PM »
Scotch here...

That's for celebration if I do get in.  Maybe a cigar, too.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 09:51:58 PM »
Two suspects, A and B, are arrested by the police. The police have insufficient evidence for a conviction, and, having separated both prisoners, visit each of them to offer the same deal: if one testifies for the prosecution against the other and the other remains silent, the betrayer goes free and the silent accomplice receives the full 10-year sentence. If both stay silent, both prisoners are sentenced to only six months in jail for a minor charge. If each betrays the other, each receives a two-year sentence. Each prisoner must make the choice of whether to betray the other or to remain silent. However, neither prisoner knows for sure what choice the other prisoner will make. So this dilemma poses the question: How should the prisoners act?

Ans: They should both keep their big mouths shut. Unfortunately, the dilemma is that people tend to maximize their own utility, coupled with the fact that people tend to distrust each other, so they will rat each other out. Two-year sentences for both. Stupid prisoners.

Side node: Brit stole my game theory thunder. She wins the LSD Dilemma.

Sort-of-threadjack: The Prisoner's Dilemma is a paradox. Here's another... Some people set their watches ahead (e.g., 10 minutes fast) so they won't be late. But they are well aware that they are setting their watches ahead. Do they somehow fool themselves into thinking that  their incorrect watch is in fact correct, or do they know it's incorrect but are still spurred on by this helpful watch? Or is it something else?

Brito

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 09:53:35 PM »
Sort-of-threadjack: The Prisoner's Dilemma is a paradox. Here's another... Some people set their watches ahead (e.g., 10 minutes fast) so they won't be late. But they are well aware that they are setting their watches ahead. Do they somehow fool themselves into thinking that  their incorrect watch is in fact correct, or do they know it's incorrect but are still spurred on by this helpful watch? Or is it something else?

Someone actually suggested this to me.  Unfortunately, I'm neither dumb enough nor smart enough to trick myself.

stjobs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 09:54:00 PM »
Do they somehow fool themselves into thinking that their incorrect watch is in fact correct [?]

We just forget that it was set ahead. Mine is usually two minutes fast.

It's never too early for scotch. Hell, I just applied to Chicago this afternoon ;)

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 09:58:16 PM »

Darn you stole my answer, I was going to answer and sound all smart.  BUT, if however, it's an iterated PD, then the best course of action would probably be to cooperate. So there.

There's no iteration in real life. Only dumb people who can't get it right the first time. ;)

EDIT: Data Structures was one of my favorite courses. I like writing different quicksorts and binary search trees. A BST was one of the only things I ever wrote that compiled and ran correctly the very first time.

EEtoJD

• Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 10:01:05 PM »
Do they somehow fool themselves into thinking that their incorrect watch is in fact correct [?]

We just forget that it was set ahead. Mine is usually two minutes fast.

It's never too early for scotch. Hell, I just applied to Chicago this afternoon ;)

That is so weird.