Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone have an IBM Laptop?  (Read 405 times)

Data

• Sr. Citizen
  • They call me Data.
    • View Profile
Anyone have an IBM Laptop?
« on: January 13, 2007, 05:45:13 PM »
How do you like it?
Yale 2010

Data

• Sr. Citizen
  • They call me Data.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have an IBM Laptop?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 05:56:52 PM »
thumbs up.  especially compared to my old HP that i had tons of problems with

What model do you have?  I'm looking at the more budget conscious thinkpads all the way to the ultra portable x60s. 
Yale 2010

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 05:57:39 PM »
I have a z60t and I love it.

EDIT: Also, this one is super small and light, but you get everything you need.  The X60s are cool but I didn't want to pay the extra $$. 

challandler

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 06:23:22 PM »
Z61t - It it awesome.

h2xblive

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 06:23:22 PM »
I have a true IBM laptop (ThinkPad) and I like it alot.  It's a few years old (I think it's an R51) and it's very reliable.  I used to work at a school that gave out IBM (and later Lenovo) ThinkPads to all its students and faculty and was amazed how well the hardware stood up to the abuse.

Now that Lenovo, or some other company makes the ThinkPad laptops, I'm not going to recommend the ThinkPad like I used to.  I imagine they're still top notch machines, however.

Frankly, the only other laptop I'd recommend over a ThinkPad are MacBooks, MacBook Pros, and Panasonic Toughbooks.

rojo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 06:46:25 PM »
I have a true IBM laptop (ThinkPad) and I like it alot.  It's a few years old (I think it's an R51) and it's very reliable.  I used to work at a school that gave out IBM (and later Lenovo) ThinkPads to all its students and faculty and was amazed how well the hardware stood up to the abuse.

Now that Lenovo, or some other company makes the ThinkPad laptops, I'm not going to recommend the ThinkPad like I used to.  I imagine they're still top notch machines, however.

Frankly, the only other laptop I'd recommend over a ThinkPad are MacBooks, MacBook Pros, and Panasonic Toughbooks.

I've heard they've gotten better since Lenovo took over.  I have an x60s and love it.
I'm often wrong

rojo - seriously, if and when I have boyfriend problems, I'm coming to you.

Data

• Sr. Citizen
  • They call me Data.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 06:53:23 PM »
So Lenovo completely took over the IBM name or just their laptop sector...  Or Lenovo is IBM?
Yale 2010

fuwaf

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 06:56:48 PM »
So Lenovo completely took over the IBM name or just their laptop sector...  Or Lenovo is IBM?

Lenovo took over the IBM computer segment, I believe. 

thestradgirl

• LSD Obsessed
  • where dreams you dare to dream really do come true
    • MSN Messenger - hanui@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - thestradgirl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 01:50:48 AM »
sign me up
this guy
------------------------------
I say that good painters imitated nature; but that bad ones vomited it.

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)

Commie Panda

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2007, 12:20:30 AM »
I got an IBM laptop two years ago (wow, it's been quite a while), in Feb of '05. Its the T42p. It was top of the line at the time. If I remember correctly, there were three different series, one was the T--which is like a combination of portability and performance, the X which I think is the real small one.  I didn't get the X series because you have to give up some features and also in the interest of making it lighter, it's gotone of those removable CD-ROm drives, etc. And then there's another series which are the desktop replacements but more bulky.

I don't have any major problems with my laptop but I honestly don't see how its any better/worse than any other laptop. My dad has had tons of Dell's and my 3 siblings have Dell's right now too...

I don't know if that really answers whether or not you should get an IBM laptop but I'm just curious as to what makes one laptop better than another, provided they have the same components. Perhaps customer service/warranty, etc.