Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can you use a Mac in law school?  (Read 1290 times)

ithappensforareason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Can you use a Mac in law school?
« on: January 13, 2007, 03:53:44 PM »
I currently have a sony vaio laptop with windows but I would really like a apple macbook. I have heard however that mac's aren't good for law school because they do no support test taking software that most law schools use. I also have heard some law schools will make you a buy different laptop if you have a mac. I obviously don't want that to happen.

What do you guys think? Is all of that info about macs in law school true?
Is there any other downfalls for a mac for lawschool?

Thanks everyone,

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Can you use a Mac in law school?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2007, 05:16:31 PM »
Listen to Beast.  That's good advice.

I'll add my $.02, tho (heaven forbid I leave a concise post!)

I'm a 1L and I use Macs exclusively.  And I'm not alone - I'd guesstimate that ~ 1/3 of my classmates are using Macs.  My school (Michigan) has been great with Mac support, and we can use our Macs for exams as long as we have the new generation (duo core Intel processors instead of Power PC processors) with Windows XP loaded.  In other words, those of us with Powerbooks or iBooks had to replace them with Macbook Pros or Macbooks. 

A great resource is http://www.maclawstudents.com.  Erik has great information posted about a lot of different schools and their openness to Macs.  And let me know if you have any questions.   
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 12:43:29 AM »
The answer as everyone else has responded is it depends on the software your school is using. Secure exam has MAC and PC versions. From what I understand from our IT people, secure exam actually runs BETTER on the mac OS-X platform than windows. They have had several issues with the software running on windows platforms but none that I know of running on OS-X.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

mumbling2myself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 07:28:21 PM »
Minnesota actually requires the lease of a PC (pre loaded with all the software you'll need) for all students, so there isn't much in the way of choice unless you feel like paying for two computers or really really want to use your old laptop instead of the brand new one you'll be issued no matter what.

mL4300ic

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 10:39:13 PM »
The stuff that NYU mailed with my acceptance letter said that a new dual core Intel based Mac would not satisfy their computer requirements. Does that mean that they won't allow you to use one of these machines during exams?

stjobs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 10:42:42 PM »
Can you use a Mac in law school?

I hope so. If I have any say, I'll go to a school that allows Macs. I've been a user since the early '90s and would never change to PCs.
HLS 2010