Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U Minnesota has issues  (Read 1239 times)

11th-hour

• View Profile
U Minnesota has issues
« on: January 12, 2007, 10:25:03 AM »
I received this email this morning:

"Dear ________,

Happy New Year to you and a very belated thank you for stopping by to visit us at the _______ Forum last fall.  We have had some large technical difficulties with a new database system and when we were looking through our information we realized we had never sent you a thank you note.  I am sorry about that, we did very much enjoy meeting you and hearing of your interest in the University of Minnesota Law School.  We also noticed that you have not yet applied.  I hope you will still consider doing so.  Our application deadline is March 1, 2007.

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact us either via email or at 612-625-3487.  Best of luck to you in the entire application process.

Sincerely,

Stacy Doepner-Hove
Associate Director of Admissions
University of Minnesota Law School"

I was amused by this, since I applied in October and was rejected.  I think their database still has issues..

kmksports27

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: U Minnesota has issues
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 10:40:15 AM »
agreed

they sent me the same email telling me to apply 3 times. ::)
i've said it before, but they are really gettting desperate comsidering i live in CT

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 10:43:27 AM »
You should TOTALLY apply again and reference that email.
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 11:02:57 AM »
I got almost the exact same email, although mine was worded a little differently:

Dear REDACTED,

Congratulations on your decision to attend law school!  As you prepare your applications, please consider the University of Minnesota Law School.  To get a sense of the many opportunities Minnesota has to offer, please pay us a virtual visit at www.law.umn.edu.

The University of Minnesota Law School is one of the best law schools in the country and we provide our students with rigorous scholarly instruction as well as extensive practical experience.  Minnesota considers this full spectrum of legal education to be vital to the education of the next generation of lawyers and we pride ourselves on our ability to offer such a comprehensive program.

The Law School is an integral part of the University of Minnesota, a Big 10 land grant University, with all the tradition, pageantry, opportunities and excellence that only such an established institution can offer.  Couple that with our location in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul, with the many public and private legal employers, the vibrant business community and the great variety of outdoor and indoor recreational and cultural activities available and you can look forward to a truly exceptional experience here at Minnesota.

Please call the Admissions Office at (612) 625-3487, visit us at www.law.umn.edu, or email us at umnlsadm@umn.edu for more information.  We encourage personal visits whenever possible, and welcome the chance to speak with you further about the University of Minnesota Law School.  Please accept our best wishes in your application process and our hope that you will consider the University of Minnesota Law School.

You've probably been scanning this email for the words "fee waiver." Well, let me assure you, you're not going to find them. You want in, you better come up with the money yourself.

With warmest regards,
Julie Tigges
Interim Director of Admissions
290 Mondale Hall
229 19th Avenue South
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN  55455
612 625-3487

I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

kmksports27

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 11:05:13 AM »
Wow, that's really odd. If they're so desperate for applications, why did they defer or reject so many qualified applicants early on?

who knows.  i guess they got a little too overconfident in themselves.  they also just placed pretty low on % of grads who work in BIGLaw.  

11th-hour

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 11:07:32 AM »
"You've probably been scanning this email for the words "fee waiver." Well, let me assure you, you're not going to find them. You want in, you better come up with the money yourself."

Did they really say this?  Wow.

ptown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 11:11:19 AM »
"You've probably been scanning this email for the words "fee waiver." Well, let me assure you, you're not going to find them. You want in, you better come up with the money yourself."

Did they really say this?  Wow.

LOL I am pretty sure that was a joke.  I got the same email a number of times, and although it didnt have the last line in there, I think it was implied...
Missouri 1L

"I was discriminated against during the college-testing process because I come from a culture that is opposed to filling in circles completely and with firm pressure."

knicksfan0323

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 02:28:47 PM »
I got almost the exact same email, although mine was worded a little differently:

Dear REDACTED,

Congratulations on your decision to attend law school!  As you prepare your applications, please consider the University of Minnesota Law School.  To get a sense of the many opportunities Minnesota has to offer, please pay us a virtual visit at www.law.umn.edu.

The University of Minnesota Law School is one of the best law schools in the country and we provide our students with rigorous scholarly instruction as well as extensive practical experience.  Minnesota considers this full spectrum of legal education to be vital to the education of the next generation of lawyers and we pride ourselves on our ability to offer such a comprehensive program.

The Law School is an integral part of the University of Minnesota, a Big 10 land grant University, with all the tradition, pageantry, opportunities and excellence that only such an established institution can offer.  Couple that with our location in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis/St. Paul, with the many public and private legal employers, the vibrant business community and the great variety of outdoor and indoor recreational and cultural activities available and you can look forward to a truly exceptional experience here at Minnesota.

Please call the Admissions Office at (612) 625-3487, visit us at www.law.umn.edu, or email us at umnlsadm@umn.edu for more information.  We encourage personal visits whenever possible, and welcome the chance to speak with you further about the University of Minnesota Law School.  Please accept our best wishes in your application process and our hope that you will consider the University of Minnesota Law School.

You've probably been scanning this email for the words "fee waiver." Well, let me assure you, you're not going to find them. You want in, you better come up with the money yourself.

With warmest regards,
Julie Tigges
Interim Director of Admissions
290 Mondale Hall
229 19th Avenue South
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, MN  55455
612 625-3487

That fee waiver line really made me laugh out loud - I got that damn letter twice.

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 03:40:13 PM »
Was that line SERIOUSLY in the email??
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

TrashCat

• Sr. Citizen
  • My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 03:43:17 PM »
Was that line SERIOUSLY in the email??

Yes, everyone was talking about it in the posts above you! Its so amazing and refreshing that a school would put that on a email, wow!