Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I'm screwed!  (Read 2673 times)

rukiddin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I'm screwed!
« on: January 11, 2007, 07:54:58 PM »
I've recently been advised to write an addendum explaining why I didn't show up for the Feb. '05 LSAT (nevermind that I don't have much of an excuse). This got me to thinking about all of my other little flaws....Do I even have a shot at Cooley at this point???

Gretchen W.

• Currently exercising my secret power
    • View Profile
Re: I'm screwed!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 07:56:23 PM »
What's Cooley?
Power always has to be kept in check; power exercised in secret, especially under the cloak of national security, is doubly dangerous.

-William Proxmire

Gretchen W.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 08:08:15 PM »
Why are you applying for this cycle?

I know people think this is said too often on LSD, but seriously. Take the time to figure this all out, write really good explanations for everything you listed, and go for next cycle.

As to how to explain your LSAT absence, be honest. You didn't realize/forgot to cancel and didn't think it would show up. Shouldn't be the biggest deal.

This seems like very reasonable advice.
Power always has to be kept in check; power exercised in secret, especially under the cloak of national security, is doubly dangerous.

-William Proxmire

Gretchen W.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 08:28:06 PM »
Well, what would you suggest, Mr. KnowItAll?

Why is everyone around here so mean?

-William Proxmire

rukiddin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2007, 09:18:14 PM »

I know people think this is said too often on LSD, but seriously. Take the time to figure this all out, write really good explanations for everything you listed, and go for next cycle.

As to how to explain your LSAT absence, be honest. You didn't realize/forgot to cancel and didn't think it would show up. Shouldn't be the biggest deal.

It is reasonable advice, but I already waited a year. I wanted to apply last cycle, but decided another year away from school would be good for my resume. It has been. I've now got some great work experience and some awesome LORs. I was hoping that would be enough to pull me through, but the more I read posts on this board, the more worried I get. I guess waiting another year wouldn't be the worst thing in the world...

They are mean, but at least they're honest.

wolfpack2

• Sr. Citizen
  • I should be reading cases....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2007, 09:31:01 PM »
Do you really think you're prepared for law school? Or that you really want to go to law school? WHY do you want to apply this cycle?

ego_trip

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 11:58:38 PM »
I've recently been advised to write an addendum explaining why I didn't show up for the Feb. '05 LSAT (nevermind that I don't have much of an excuse). This got me to thinking about all of my other little flaws....

1) One semester I only took one class - I did nothing else.
2) I took a post-graduate class (intro to marketing) for the hell of it. Quit going and got an F.
3) 156 LSAT score
4) Zero ECs
5) Oh yeah - I'm just now getting my apps in

Do I even have a shot at Cooley at this point???

I think you have to ask yourself where you really want to go to law school. If you're fine with a Tier 3 or 4 school, I'd apply.

I had a less than stellar UG record.. beginning first semester with 2 dropped classes, a D and and F... a semester my soph year with a D and an F... a semester that I withdrew from school altogether... lost a scholarship along the way, of course. Was on academic probation.  In grad school took a semester off here and there... didn't always go full time.

Now I'm WL at Gtown, in at 3 targets, some with $, and one safety...

could it really hurt to try?

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 12:05:09 AM »

How the hell would you know, 32 posts?

LOL
TITCR
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Jhuen_the_bird

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 12:09:24 AM »
YOU SLACKER!

Ok, I would say - if you're already almost done w/ your apps, go ahead and apply - that doesn't mean you have to GO this year ... like, if you don't feel good about it or only get into schools you aren't interested in or something?

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 12:25:32 AM »

YEAH GCOOP!  MEANIE!!!!!
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.