Law School Discussion

Illinois?

Re: Illinois?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2007, 04:19:01 PM »
I think there is.  500 firms interview OCI at Gtown, only 174 interview at UIUC.  That is a significant difference. 

kirkcameronsgf

• Ever since I can remember, I been poppin' my colla
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2007, 04:52:21 PM »
Yes b/c OCI are the sole basis on which to determine which is a "good" school and which is a TTT.  ::)

bamf

• legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2007, 05:19:30 PM »
I think there is.  500 firms interview OCI at Gtown, only 174 interview at UIUC.  That is a significant difference. 

Lets review.  I said "Is there a difference between 20 and 30? Not much..."  You said "yes.  and as my example, I will use Georgetown."  GULC is a T14.  It is also HUGE ... 2-3x the size of UIUC.
What I meant when I said "national/ regional hybrid" was that you obviously have 14-20 national law schools and then you have some other schools that are still very well respected, still have some of the best professors, still are visited by a number of top firms.  These are schools that people know are quality and a degree from these schools can get you an interview pretty much anywhere ... but sure, you just might have to do the footwork yourself if you want to work in DC instead of Chicago, and the employer might want you to be top 1/3 as opposed to being top 1/2 from GULC.

I didn't say there was no difference, I was merely stating my opinion that the statement "shooting for top 20" means very little and should not make a difference in the final choice of law school.  Is this because I am considering a 27 as my top choice even if I get into a 17?  Maybe ... stay tuned.

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2007, 07:20:11 PM »
Sorry, I meant GWU rather than Gtown.  Gtown in fact has more than 800 firms interviewing on campus.

UChi2L

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2007, 07:21:51 PM »
Sorry, I meant GWU rather than Gtown.  Gtown in fact has more than 800 firms interviewing on campus.

Wrong.  Maybe 800 offices (that counts multiple offices of the same firms), but it's likely an exaggeration. 

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2007, 08:54:42 PM »

Wrong.  Maybe 800 offices (that counts multiple offices of the same firms), but it's likely an exaggeration. 

Use your brain before posting.  Changing the unit (from firm to office) does not change the ratio between # of participant in OCI between Gtown, GWU and UIUC.  How do you know it is exaggerated? do you think your puny brain contains better info than folks over at NALP who is trusted by attorneys and law students across the nation?

UChi2L

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2007, 08:58:56 PM »
Use your brain before posting.  Changing the unit (from firm to office) does not change the ratio between # of participant in OCI between Gtown, GWU and UIUC.  How do you know it is exaggerated? do you think your puny brain contains better info than folks over at NALP who is trusted by attorneys and law students across the nation?

My boyfriend finished GULC OCI a couple of months ago.  There weren't 800 firms or offices.  I'm not endorsing UIUC or GWU, I'm just correcting erroneous information on the board.  My "puny brain" is working just fine for me, thanks.

Quail!

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2007, 07:17:56 PM »
While I'm finishing up my undergrad at Illinois, I can speak a little to the campus and general environment.

It may be small, but Champaign-Urbana is a fun place.  There are bars (both dive and upscale), movie theaters, bowling alleys, culture & arts..pretty much what you can do in a big city on a smaller scale minus the gigantic buildings.

The caveat - winter here blows.  Take my word for it - if you're not a winter person, this might not be the right choice.

The law building does indeed suck as well.  The law library is nice, and one of my favorite places to be productive, but is often too hot and puts me to sleep.  As mentioned, the bathrooms are inconveniently located, and it's just not aesthetically pleasing.  The University seems to be putting a lot more stock in the law school lately though, so I would not be surprised if plans for a new building were in the works.

Also, the people here are very nice - both the students and the townies.  It's a really laid back atmosphere, and people are most always friendly and willing to help.

Hope something in there was useful
Go Illini