Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need law school advice?!?!?!  (Read 429212 times)

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
Re: Need law school advice?!?!?!
« Reply #80 on: January 11, 2007, 10:47:18 PM »
aw, that's sweet, too

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2007, 01:11:55 AM »
I thought he meant that fewer people would apply to law schools now that min. wage went up. I mean, now that I earn $7+ working at Wendy's I am going to withdraw all of my apps.

That's what I thought he meant.  So, I hopped over to CNN to catch the news and see if the minimum truly did go up 40%.  I can't find anything about it.  Is it true, or is he going crazy?

They want to make min wage $7.25... so that would be about a 40% increase if it passes.

So it hasn't even pass yet...  I can see how there's an eternal debate about what the minimum wage, but really, why debate it's effects on law school applications?

Made worse, because I've seen his PS, and he really should be working on that.

I can only pray that you know I know this thread exists and that you're baiting me, because the alternative would be that you took the question seriously despite a parenthetical footnote explicitly imploring you to do otherwise. Seriously, do people not understand that I'm talking out of my ass at least 85% of the time? Am I that misunderstood? It's been disheartening to see people treat my posts like they're actually meant to be useful and worthwhile, and not as the complete wastes of time for myself and anyone who actually reads them that they are. I swear, if I don't start getting some recognition from someone that they understand what I'm going for, I will stop posting altogether. And that's not a threat, it's a reward. Wait. *&^%.

Agreed on my PS. It's terrible.
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

Boss

• Sr. Citizen
  • You've gotta be cruel to be kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2007, 09:38:16 AM »
Through the medium of PM, I wasn't mean spirited.  I did try and give him worthwhile advice.  Although it started out pretty bad, there were good undertones that could be developed into a good PS.
It's been brought to my attention that boss is my favorite poster  :-*

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2007, 09:42:16 AM »
Well, to be fair, I took a dookie on my PS too. No worries.

Boss, I didn't mean to come across as confrontational or upset; it should be viewed in a light hearted way. Problem is, my brand of humor doesn't translate too well (seriously? I think this is humor?!) because in real life, I rely on tone and body language to better convey my subtleties (wow, it took me 3 tries to finally not spell subtitles), which is difficult, nay, impossible to do over the interwebs unless the people involved are intimately acquainted. And by intimately acquainted, yes, I mean sex friends.

No hard feelings. I'm not looking to OMGZORSpwned!!!11!! anyone, at least not so obviously. As I think we all can agree, it's far too much fun when someone has no idea that you're openly mocking him. Like, for example, me.
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2007, 09:48:16 AM »
Through the medium of PM, I wasn't mean spirited.  I did try and give him worthwhile advice.  Although it started out pretty bad, there were good undertones that could be developed into a good PS.

Well, I was never going to rat you out, but since you mention it, I always understood and appreciated that. It's sort of like the episode of Scrubs (if you don't watch Scrubs, you can stop reading and remember that I'm a moron) where Dr. Cox and the janitor become drinking buddies, but then the janitor is ashamed to be seen talking with Cox in front of his custodial friends. Boss, you are my Cox (is this supposed to be a come-on? Is "come-on" itself suggestive? We may never know). The ironic twist in our situation is that you, the doctor, are ashamed to be seen with the janitor (which is actually anti-ironic, because that's what one would expect). But we all have status to keep; I was never going to rat you out for being soft. Man, I should really stop talking now; I have no idea where I even thought I was going with this.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2007, 10:20:18 AM »
If you'd like, you can send it in alternative medium so that they get your tone, inflection, and are awed by your eloquent voice.  :P

He's not kidding. James Earl Jones is my female dog. And that IS serious, my friends.

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2007, 11:26:20 AM »

My LSD went down while I was trying to respond  >:(

Anyhow, Theft-Pollyanna is like a Yankee Swap. Everyone brings a wrapped gift, usually an under $10 gift, and puts it on the table. Then you draw numbers from a hat to establish an order of go. The first person selects a gift and opens it. The second person has a choice, they can choose to either open another gift or "steal" the gift the first person opened. If the second person steals the first person's gift, the first person opens another gift.

This goes on until all the gifts are opened. If you get possession of a gift three times it can no longer be stolen from you. If someone steals a gift from you, you cannot then steal it back immediately. You can however orchestrate a complicated chain of events by stealing another popular gift which you know will be stolen from you so that you can get the gift you wanted.

I am ridiculously good at convincing people to steal my unwanted gifts. I managed to convince someone to steal a set of table clamps from me. Obviously I have mad negotiation skills.

Ahh, New England...

My first Yankee Swap, my gift was 10 $1 gift certificates to the nicest places in the Natick Mall ... Coach, Williams Sonoma, Gucci, Some Jewelers, etc.  I thought it would be a very unwanted gift, but people stole it more than a few times...

Oh, the Natick Mall...how I had forgotten about the many hours I spent nestled in your loving arms.

<sniff>
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2007, 11:30:28 AM »
For a prime example of how NOT to read a post by me, see 11th hour's response about 6 posts down:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,80189.0.html

sillyberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2007, 12:58:44 PM »

My LSD went down while I was trying to respond  >:(

Anyhow, Theft-Pollyanna is like a Yankee Swap. Everyone brings a wrapped gift, usually an under $10 gift, and puts it on the table. Then you draw numbers from a hat to establish an order of go. The first person selects a gift and opens it. The second person has a choice, they can choose to either open another gift or "steal" the gift the first person opened. If the second person steals the first person's gift, the first person opens another gift.

This goes on until all the gifts are opened. If you get possession of a gift three times it can no longer be stolen from you. If someone steals a gift from you, you cannot then steal it back immediately. You can however orchestrate a complicated chain of events by stealing another popular gift which you know will be stolen from you so that you can get the gift you wanted.

I am ridiculously good at convincing people to steal my unwanted gifts. I managed to convince someone to steal a set of table clamps from me. Obviously I have mad negotiation skills.

Ahh, New England...

My first Yankee Swap, my gift was 10 $1 gift certificates to the nicest places in the Natick Mall ... Coach, Williams Sonoma, Gucci, Some Jewelers, etc.  I thought it would be a very unwanted gift, but people stole it more than a few times...

Oh, the Natick Mall...how I had forgotten about the many hours I spent nestled in your loving arms.

<sniff>

Oh, the Natick Mall. Oh, the shuttle buses to get there. Oh, how I lived for that Banana Republic.

Also, I went to one of those Yankee Swap dealies when I was a little kid, and it was so upsetting! I cried when someone took my gift. I didn't really get it. It probably kind of killed the fun. Actually, I would probably still cry. Don't invite me to your next swap.

What if we want to make you cry?
Juicy: UChicago

It sounds so reasonable when you say it.

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2007, 02:53:01 PM »
mmmmmm sammiches