Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SFLSD: Oh! The inhumanities.  (Read 2613705 times)

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: SFLSD: Feeling you.
« Reply #70710 on: June 25, 2009, 08:53:32 AM »
I got some really bad news yesterday, the bar turned granted in part but denied in part my application for accommodations on the exam. They agreed I had a serious learning disability especially in spelling and granted me the use of a spellchecker on the exam. However they denied me any extra time to actually use it.

As most of you know my spelling, unless corrected, is almost unreadable because I transpose letters and numbers. The bar is exam is half written. There are six 30 min essays designed to be answered in 30 mins. I requested an extra 15 mins after that thirty to run the spellchecker (and not make any change to content other than correcting spelling). That was denied.
Thus realistically on a 30 mins easy I can afford to write now for 15-20 mins max before I must stop typing and start spell checking. Basically making my essays 10-15 min shorter than everyone elseís. Iím pretty devastated at this point. I did not want special treatment I only wanted a fair chance at the bar.

Given how badly I transpose words, if I donít spell check my answers there will be many times where the grader will just have to guess at what I mean, and I doubt they are going to give me the benefit of the doubt. Additionally it will appear to any grader that I donít give a *&^% because people like me are so rare they wonít just assume itís because of a learning disability. The decision is final and cannot be appealed.

The only appeal process is to re-apply for accommodations for the February exam. Needless to say Iím pretty down about this. I give myself a realistic chance of passing now in the 25-30% range. This has pretty much destroyed my moral to keep studying.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70711 on: June 25, 2009, 10:12:31 AM »
I KNOW ALL YOUR REAL NAMES NOW.

Loose lips sink ships. Someone should tell Goalie.

I initially totally thought this was a reference to how I talk a lot  :D

I get it now.

ETA: Although it partly is anyway.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #70712 on: June 25, 2009, 10:13:39 AM »
I got some really bad news yesterday

Ugh I'm sorry Matthies  >:(

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #70713 on: June 25, 2009, 10:27:51 AM »
No, you talk PERFECT. It means I get to eat and drink, which is not usually how these things play out for me.

I'm sorry, Matthies. I would offer to go bust some heads, but my dad keeps sending me articles about people being arrested for online threats. I blog ONE TIME, TWO YEARS AGO, about how seeing Scalia have a heart attack would make my day, and I never hear the end of it.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #70714 on: June 25, 2009, 10:39:19 AM »
I got some really bad news yesterday, the bar turned granted in part but denied in part my application for accommodations on the exam. They agreed I had a serious learning disability especially in spelling and granted me the use of a spellchecker on the exam. However they denied me any extra time to actually use it.

As most of you know my spelling, unless corrected, is almost unreadable because I transpose letters and numbers. The bar is exam is half written. There are six 30 min essays designed to be answered in 30 mins. I requested an extra 15 mins after that thirty to run the spellchecker (and not make any change to content other than correcting spelling). That was denied.
Thus realistically on a 30 mins easy I can afford to write now for 15-20 mins max before I must stop typing and start spell checking. Basically making my essays 10-15 min shorter than everyone elseís. Iím pretty devastated at this point. I did not want special treatment I only wanted a fair chance at the bar.

Given how badly I transpose words, if I donít spell check my answers there will be many times where the grader will just have to guess at what I mean, and I doubt they are going to give me the benefit of the doubt. Additionally it will appear to any grader that I donít give a poo because people like me are so rare they wonít just assume itís because of a learning disability. The decision is final and cannot be appealed.

The only appeal process is to re-apply for accommodations for the February exam. Needless to say Iím pretty down about this. I give myself a realistic chance of passing now in the 25-30% range. This has pretty much destroyed my moral to keep studying.

Do you get any choice in what spell checking software you get to use? If so, you could try to arrange one that will mark the misspelled words, like MS Word does with the red underlining, and correct as you go. That shouldn't slow you down too much.

I asked for MS Word, but the accommodations only say ďa computer with spell checkĒ not what kind. Ufortunely its not as easy as just correcting as I go. I donít misspell words the way normal people do. I transpose them completely, and they ďlookĒ right to me. As a bascic example I would not misspell ďhelloĒ buy just leaving out one of the Lís like ďíheloĒ that MS Word would esialy ctach. Instead what I do is type eholl now MS Word caths that as not spell right, but it offers no ďsuggestionsĒ it canít figure out what I am trying to spell. And of course because my brain sees eholl as ďhelloĒ I donít know how to spell it correactly. So what I have to do is keep putting in varations on the spelling, guesses, until MS Word recognizes one and gives me a word simualr that I think might be how itís really spelled. So I would type in llheo, then helol then maybe finally get a suggestion of ďhelloĒ and chose that word. So itís a longer porcess than simply just picking the correct spelling out of a list because many times MS Word has no idea what word Iím trying to get at. Addtionall I use there, their, where, were interchangabley, words that are spelled simualar and have the same sound are very hard for me to distiguch, and MS Word wonít catch those so I have to proofread really carefully.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #70715 on: June 25, 2009, 10:42:56 AM »
I blog ONE TIME, TWO YEARS AGO, about how seeing Scalia have a heart attack would make my day, and I never hear the end of it.

:D

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #70716 on: June 25, 2009, 10:56:34 AM »
No, you talk PERFECT. It means I get to eat and drink, which is not usually how these things play out for me.

I'm sorry, Matthies. I would offer to go bust some heads, but my dad keeps sending me articles about people being arrested for online threats. I blog ONE TIME, TWO YEARS AGO, about how seeing Scalia have a heart attack would make my day, and I never hear the end of it.

Heh.  Then it's a good think Rehnquist is already dead, as the zillion times I've written about wanting to dance on his grave won't be considered threats ;).
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #70717 on: June 25, 2009, 11:38:47 AM »
No one told me there would be necrophilia jokes!

This is wrong.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70718 on: June 25, 2009, 12:37:56 PM »
I KNOW ALL YOUR REAL NAMES NOW.

Loose lips sink ships. Someone should tell Goalie.

I initially totally thought this was a reference to how I talk a lot  :D

I get it now.

ETA: Although it partly is anyway.

These are a few of my favorite things!
I do not like hats.
I do not like them on bats.
I would not like them near cats.
I would not like them made out of mats.

mugatu

• LSD Obsessed
  • I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70719 on: June 25, 2009, 12:56:31 PM »
Hey Matthies, I'm sorry about that.
Let me show you Derelicte. It is a fashion, a way of life inspired by the very homeless, the vagrants, the crack whores that make this wonderful city so unique.

They're break-dance fighting.