Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SFLSD: Oh! The inhumanities.  (Read 2700974 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: SFLSD: Feeling you.
« Reply #67570 on: April 22, 2009, 08:31:03 AM »
We just drove through the backroads of Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana (back in Mississippi now.)  The S&Bs were more common than RC Cola signs and BBQ stands.

While I like it well enough down here (it is aesthetically pleasing), I don't know if I'd qualify the people as being all that nice - there always seems to be some undercurrent of distrust or judgment - as if "Minnesota Nice" was pumped into the drinking water  ;).

(and hi MP and Goals - long time, no chat.)

Hi MBW!

I found that this was true outside of [city], even in Mobile (which I, for some reason, thought would be more "cosmopolitan"), but [city] was just very friendly (if that friendliness was sometimes likely premised on creepy race-solidarity and/or fear of freaking out a white woman, etc.).

Once in rural Alabama, we stopped at a gas station to get some water and snacks, and I noticed three racks of bumper stickers.  Interested in picking up some souvenirs, I wandered over to check them out.  One rack was typical gas-station fare mixed with a couple of Alabama-specific bumper stickers.  Two were Confederate flag-themed.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #67571 on: April 22, 2009, 08:41:33 AM »
We just drove through the backroads of Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana (back in Mississippi now.)  The S&Bs were more common than RC Cola signs and BBQ stands.

While I like it well enough down here (it is aesthetically pleasing), I don't know if I'd qualify the people as being all that nice - there always seems to be some undercurrent of distrust or judgment - as if "Minnesota Nice" was pumped into the drinking water  ;).

(and hi MP and Goals - long time, no chat.)

Hi MBW!

I found that this was true outside of [city], even in Mobile (which I, for some reason, thought would be more "cosmopolitan"), but [city] was just very friendly (if that friendliness was sometimes likely premised on creepy race-solidarity and/or fear of freaking out a white woman, etc.).

Once in rural Alabama, we stopped at a gas station to get some water and snacks, and I noticed three racks of bumper stickers.  Interested in picking up some souvenirs, I wandered over to check them out.  One rack was typical gas-station fare mixed with a couple of Alabama-specific bumper stickers.  Two were Confederate flag-themed.

Heh, I'm not surprised about the bolded.  I found the just-under-the-surface passive-aggressiveness came from both whites and AAs - I wonder if it's because, with 2 months of beach weather returning me to my "normal" copper tone, I clearly belong to neither group - maybe it's The Other syndrome rearing its head :).

We never did make it to Mobile (closest we came was Pensacola, and our drive by an hour to the north two days ago.)  Was it pretty?  And are you thinking of taking a job in the [city] city?
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #67572 on: April 22, 2009, 08:48:50 AM »
Mobile was pretty, but I found the race relations there to be visibly disturbing.  (e.g., I passed a table of white ladies in linen suits at a cafe being served by several black men in white gloves.)  I went to [city] for some work stuff a few years ago, but I haven't been back.  I don't think I can move there for any significant length of time (and even if I were more willing, there's no money to hire me, alas). 

I never went to Pensacola or anywhere else on the Gulf Coast.  It sounds like a lovely place for a road trip!

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #67573 on: April 22, 2009, 09:00:45 AM »
Mobile was pretty, but I found the race relations there to be visibly disturbing.  (e.g., I passed a table of white ladies in linen suits at a cafe being served by several black men in white gloves.)  I went to [city] for some work stuff a few years ago, but I haven't been back.  I don't think I can move there for any significant length of time (and even if I were more willing, there's no money to hire me, alas). 

I never went to Pensacola or anywhere else on the Gulf Coast.  It sounds like a lovely place for a road trip!

Actually, the area 2-3 hrs to the east of Pensacola is amazing.  We spent three weeks on the tip of Cape San Blas, which has a sugar-sand beach, warm water, and fewer than 50 people on the beach at any given time.  And shrimp to die for.  I highly recommend it when/if serious battery recharging is ever needed.

I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

lackofabetteridea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67574 on: April 22, 2009, 09:05:28 AM »
I'm looking forward to my trip! 

I am also eating frozen yogurt in bed.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #67575 on: April 22, 2009, 09:08:15 AM »
I'm looking forward to my trip! 

I am also eating frozen yogurt in bed.

Yay trip!

I'm eating cold pepperoni pizza in bed.

space for rent.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #67576 on: April 22, 2009, 09:24:17 AM »
I am neither in bed nor eating!  >:(

archival

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • intj
« Reply #67577 on: April 22, 2009, 09:25:53 AM »
Ladies!  Hello!

I am also not in bed.  But I'm okay with that.  I like my warm little cave in the back of the apartment.
But how do you deal with someone who rejects your broad moral principles?
I kill them.

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #67578 on: April 22, 2009, 09:29:40 AM »
Ladies!  Hello!

I am also not in bed.  But I'm okay with that.  I like my warm little cave in the back of the apartment.

A!  Is it really cold there?  Temps in PolarLawTown (aka CadyHomeland) expected to skyrocket over the next few days. I figured you all (all being LOABI too) would benefit from the same warm front.

So are all you 3Ls experiencing senioritis, or just poor foodless, bedless MP?

space for rent.

archival

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • intj
« Reply #67579 on: April 22, 2009, 09:38:39 AM »
Today is s'posed to be a nice (for the area) spring day!  It's generally warming up some.  There are lots of budding things around and my husband is gearing up for regular neti pot use.

I am experiencing rather acute senioritis.  I've re-read a Harry Potty in anticipation of the movie, started watching terrible tv (Castle! and Bones!) and have been spending a lot of time trying to find the perfect sock pattern to make my husband a pair of wool socks.  I would be mortified if I weren't so, y'know, well adjusted and forgiving of my own faults and whatnot.
But how do you deal with someone who rejects your broad moral principles?
I kill them.