Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: SFLSD: Oh! The inhumanities.  (Read 2614498 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: SFLSD: Wait, what?
« Reply #60770 on: December 17, 2008, 09:29:13 PM »
people I miss: mbw, clasttt [thinking of others...]

Me too. 

Why not Cal, who kindly invited you into our fantasy baseball league before we knew who you were?  Do you see him as a rival for my affections? :D
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Saxby Clemens II

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm Chuck Bass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60771 on: December 17, 2008, 09:33:37 PM »
Yes, Rick Warren. 

I haven't bitched about his Republican love-fest nearly as much as his more ardent supporters, but come on.

This must be a joke.   

I think I'm more forgiving of this than I am of some of the other stuff.  He obviously can't choose someone from the faith community with which he identifies the most because more than half the country (including you, I think) see them as hateful bigots.  Warren is bad on lots of levels (and coming out for Prop 8 in the end was a real betrayal), but at least he preaches a social gospel.  There's worse out there.  Much worse.  (FWIW, I know lots of progressive Christians who swear by The Purpose-Driven Life.)

He may as well have picked a random priest from down the road.  I don't think not believing that AIDS kills fags is quite good enough to overcome Prop 8 support, which was really the biggest fly in the ointment of the election. 

It's just very obnoxious. 
Quote from: Cady
::clutches doll with matching outfit::
Quote from: TheJ
::flippers Sax on ass just for the hell of it::
Quote from: For All Intensive Purposes
i'm not gonna judge, i just think you are a f-ing weirdo

Elephant Lee

• Sr. Citizen
  • Maybe ju an' me are amigos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60772 on: December 17, 2008, 09:37:22 PM »
Rick Warren is all over the map. Mostly because he's hungry for influence and "relevance," I think. I used to kind of like him, but have read so many contradictory things that he's said.
This was my country
This frightful and this angry land

"I guess she was a hooker, that makes sense, those shorts didn't really look all that comfortable." -Dash

This is wrong.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
« Reply #60773 on: December 17, 2008, 09:43:35 PM »
You can do what I did and have a panic attack on the bus, then stroll aimlessly through the Tenderloin.

I wish this were on the menu of options!

I opted for a bottle of pinotage and a bit of studying.

What I'm trying to say is,  :-\ :-\ :-\

Thanks.

::feels J::

^^^
extremely underrated post
I do not like hats.
I do not like them on bats.
I would not like them near cats.
I would not like them made out of mats.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #60774 on: December 17, 2008, 09:49:11 PM »
Yes, Rick Warren. 

I haven't bitched about his Republican love-fest nearly as much as his more ardent supporters, but come on.

This must be a joke.   

I think I'm more forgiving of this than I am of some of the other stuff.  He obviously can't choose someone from the faith community with which he identifies the most because more than half the country (including you, I think) see them as hateful bigots.  Warren is bad on lots of levels (and coming out for Prop 8 in the end was a real betrayal), but at least he preaches a social gospel.  There's worse out there.  Much worse.  (FWIW, I know lots of progressive Christians who swear by The Purpose-Driven Life.)

He may as well have picked a random priest from down the road.  I don't think not believing that AIDS kills fags is quite good enough to overcome Prop 8 support, which was really the biggest fly in the ointment of the election. 

It's just very obnoxious. 

I agree.  In fairness, however, Warren's ministry is progressive on other issues like ending the war and fighting poverty.  Random ministers down the road are probably just as homophobic (if not more so) without any authority on the other important subjects of the day.  Yeah, it's too bad he can't choose an actually progressive person like Jeremiah Wright or James Forbes.

Don't get me wrong: I hate Rick Warren and I think this was a bad choice.  I just don't think there were many particularly good options among established Christian clergy who aren't on the black list.  Also, I care much less about who is giving the inaugural invocation than I do about (a) who is giving him spiritual guidance in general and (b) whom he appoints to powerful positions throughout the Executive Branch.

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Elephant Lee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #60775 on: December 17, 2008, 09:52:39 PM »
When you guys mentioned Rick Warren I was a little afraid that Obama had named him to some stupid position.
This was my country

"I guess she was a hooker, that makes sense, those shorts didn't really look all that comfortable." -Dash

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #60776 on: December 17, 2008, 09:58:28 PM »
When you guys mentioned Rick Warren I was a little afraid that Obama had named him to some stupid position.

Yeah, I mean, I understand the symbolic importance of the inaugural invocation, but I really don't think this is as big of a deal as some of his conservative appointments.  I read Leah McElrath's thing on the HuffPost.  She called it "spiritual violence" against gays and lesbians.  Okay, yes.  But you know, there's an actual war going on, and he's appointed people from the current administration to the Department of Defense.  This is more important to me.

lackofabetteridea

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #60777 on: December 17, 2008, 10:39:07 PM »
I am not ready for tomorrow.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #60778 on: December 17, 2008, 10:41:20 PM »
Seriously guys, my hands...freaky small

/long-term broken record

Elephant Lee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #60779 on: December 17, 2008, 10:43:44 PM »
This was my country